JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think that the M2 Mini models will take priority in being introduced before an updated Studio.
I completely agree. I forget that most Apple users have little to no experience outside the products that don't start with an "i". The "i" world is dominated by annual upgrades, but the world outside that has a 3-4 year product cycle and always has. Maybe with a "refresh" in the middle where the SSD is bumped a notch. I just don't see a nine month old product, that is not in the "i" world, having anything change in the next year.

The Pro and Mini cycle has always been 3-4 years. That is where the Studio lives. Not in the iPhone, iPad, iMac world.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I will say this, the M1 Max Mac Studio is probably the best Mac ever made, when it comes to performance/price ratio.

That's after 35 years of using Macs.

Of course, once the M2 Mini comes out, the bar will probably be raised. At least there will be two levels of (probably) $1K for the Mini and $2K for the Studio.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will say this, the M1 Max Mac Studio is probably the best Mac ever made, when it comes to performance/price ratio.

That's after 35 years of using Macs.

Of course, once the M2 Mini comes out, the bar will probably be raised. At least there will be two levels of (probably) $1K for the Mini and $2K for the Studio.

This thing is a BEAST

It performs beautifully. Can't even max out the ram on this thing. 64GB is overkill. Much different on an M1 than Intel i9.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The memory allocation and usage is what was so mind blowing about going from an Intel i5 with 16GB to an M1 with 8GB. At any time I’m using less than 50% of available RAM where I was using close to 75% of the 16GB before.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't thought to check my RAM use while processing large images. I'll have to do that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don’t shoot the messenger

I wouldn't shoot yuh...

The same discount I got. In fact, B&H Price-Matched Adorama on that deal.

The base model of $1849 is great, but it has been lower. I think in November one retailer had it for $1799.

Trust me, I spent days reviewing the STUDIO price history and comparing prices.

I think, if you can get the STUDIO for Education Pricing then you got a good deal. That's $200 off the MSRP.

Could it go lower? You bet. I have seen Macbook Pros on Amazon drop several hundred dollars. However, currently, Amazon hasn't been selling the STUDIO. It has been out of stock for some time.

If you are considering a STUDIO, let me reaffirm that this is a tremendous computer. The performance has been nothing short of impressive.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Eh... Hard Pass.

Refurb gives a better discount than that, and you don't have to sign up for any bullshit. Apple Refurbs are as good as new.

Hey, John!

I have been on many Mac forums and related FB groups. Mac users LOVE refurbished models. I was very surprised to read so many positive comments from those that went the refurbed route and how Apple backs up the purchase for (I believe) a full year.

The discount, I believe, is only $200. Now I am using the base model as an example. There have been units listed on the refurbished page for $1799. If you are in a hurry, that's a great deal. Me? I knew that if I shopped around and/or was willing to wait, I could get $200 off on a new model which is why I didn't go that route.

However, I just wanted to come on here and confirm that refurbs are a great value for anyone that wants to immediately save on a purchase like this without having to go through all the hoops of hoping for a price reduction.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey, John!

I have been on many Mac forums and related FB groups. Mac users LOVE refurbished models. I was very surprised to read so many positive comments from those that went the refurbed route and how Apple backs up the purchase for (I believe) a full year.

The discount, I believe, is only $200. Now I am using the base model as an example. There have been units listed on the refurbished page for $1799. If you are in a hurry, that's a great deal. Me? I knew that if I shopped around and/or was willing to wait, I could get $200 off on a new model which is why I didn't go that route.

However, I just wanted to come on here and confirm that refurbs are a great value for anyone that wants to immediately save on a purchase like this without having to go through all the hoops of hoping for a price reduction.
Ron, normally the refurb discount is 15%, but for some reason on the Studio it's 10%.

You do have to choose from what they have available though. With the Studio, they always seem to have the base model. I decided what configuration I wanted and waited for it to appear, then grabbed it. They come and go fast, so I just kept checking the site on my iPad, and ended up getting one late on a Sunday night.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No Studio update for 2023, seemingly per Gurman.

Here’s what to expect, starting with the Mac lineup:

• The new MacBook Pros, coming in the first half of this year, will have the same designs and features as the current 14-inch and 16-inch models, but include M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. Those are marginal leaps from today’s MacBook Pro processors.
  • A high-end configuration of the Mac Pro, a model with 48 CPU cores and 152 graphics cores, has been canceled. Instead, Apple plans to release a version with the M2 Ultra, making it unclear — beyond the machine’s expandability — why most users would buy it over the cheaper and smaller Mac Studio. In another disappointment, the new Mac Pro will look identical to the 2019 model. It will also lack one key feature from the Intel version: user-upgradeable RAM. That’s because the memory is tied directly to the M2 Ultra’s motherboard. Still, there are two SSD storage slots and for graphics, media and networking cards.
  • A larger iMac Pro, meanwhile, has been on and off Apple’s road map, and I would be surprised at this point if it arrives in 2023. A spec-bump upgrade for the 24-inch iMac won’t arrive until the M3 chip is ready, which likely won’t happen until late 2023 or 2024 at the earliest.
  • If there’s any major saving grace for the Mac lineup in 2023, it’s a planned 15-inch MacBook Air. A new 12-inch MacBook is no longer on Apple’s near-term road map however.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I neeeeeed it

Sounds like you won't be waiting long, Sam

I am joining the doubt that exists out there that we are going to see an iMac pro. It is becoming less irrelevant now that you have these powerful separates (Mini and Studio) and high-end monitors.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
That’s unfortunate. There’s going to be a big price / perf gap between the Mini and the Pro without the studio.
The speculation in that article was mostly that Apple was not going to update the Studio, rather than that they were going to discontinue it. So you'd have M2 Mini => M2 Pro Mini => M1 Max Studio => M1 Ultra Studio => M2 Ultra Mac Pro.

Seems to me that it would make sense to update the Studio with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. If the revised Mac Pro turns out to be just "a M2 Ultra Studio with PCIe slots and MPX graphics card bays," well, they can still differentiate it on the expansion slot basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks