What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I enjoyed this first half-story (to be continued next week). Great work from the cast, and the team is going to have some very interesting dynamics.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I loved that pilot. I had a smile on my face the entire hour. Surprisingly for a show that teams up supporting players from two of the lower budget superhero shows on television, it provided a lot of the same fun the first Avengers movie did: getting to see strong personalities we've gotten to know in different contexts coming together and sparking off each other in new and interesting ways.

I think I can assume the attraction of this show for Arthur Darvill: After two and a half series as the Doctor's companion on "Doctor Who", with "Legends of Tomorrow" he basically gets to be the Doctor. Having a front row seat for the best well-prepared him to play Rip Hunter, the renegade Time Lord, ahem, Time Master. At the same time, Hunter's just a human like the rest of us. He isn't an alien with two hearts from a species that looks like us but is otherwise far more advanced than us. That makes him more fallible, which helps differentiate him. We've met all of the other main cast members before, so he had the difficult task of not only marching in like he owned the place, but also being the central figure that gives our motley crew direction. He pulls it off with aplomb.

Sara Lance appeared briefly in the "Arrow" pilot, played by a soap opera actress, in which she seemed to perish to her death. She was invented for the show; her death provided a point of tension between Oliver Queen and her older sister Laurel Lance, who is an adaptation of Dinah Lance from the comics. When the "Arrow" team made the decision to resurrect the character, they cast Caity Lotz in the role. I don't think they anticipated how great Lotz would be in the role, and I don't think they ever figured out how to respond to the enthusiastic response from the audience, or how to free her from the dictates of the story that boxed her in. The problem is that Sara's story was supposed to provide texture and color for Laurel's story, but a lot of viewers -- including me -- strongly preferred Sara to Laurel. Now, with "Legends of Tomorrow", the character has been set free, and Lotz made the most of every moment on screen. I loved the idea that the assassin and the two career criminals, left back on the ship, would take advantage of the lull to go bar hopping.

Speaking of said career criminals, Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller spent four seasons developing a comradery as the stars of "Prison Break" before re-teaming as a hot and cold (pun fully intended) pair of thieves on "The Flash". That history pays dividends here, as they play off each other effortlessly. Purcell gets a lot of the best laughs of the episode as Mick Rory, who is neither a deep thinker nor a beacon of moral principle.

It's still cool to me that we get a big screen Superman as a weekly TV superhero. Routh was fun as the apple-polishing former pupil who utterly failed to make an impression on his old professor.

Victor Garber, who gets star billing on the show, is pretty terrific as Martin Stein, who gets to be up close and personal with science he could only dream about while getting to go on a vast adventure to save the planet.

The newer, mostly younger actors -- Franz Drameh, Ciara Renée and Falk Hentschel -- suffer a bit by the comparison to the more seasoned pros. But there's plenty of room in the future for them to make their mark.

The one thing that bugged me in the lead up to the show was why Rip Hunter would pick these eight instead of the Green Arrow, the Flash, and presumably Superman and Batman at some point in the future. That being the case, I was gratified to learn that -- contrary to Hunter's big speech at the beginning that made it into most of the trailers and promos -- they were picked because they had the exceptional skill sets that Hunter needed but were insignificant to the long-term timeline in a way that the Green Arrow and the Flash were not.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I only have one gripe about the series, and it may seem pretty petty, but couldn't they have cast a taller actor to play Hawkman?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Nice start to the series. It felt to me that Victor Garber pulled out a little Jack Bristow (Alias) in drugging his other half to take the trip.

I was also thinking renegade timelord with what was going on. I did wonder why Chronos just blasted those two kids out of existence. The Time Masters do not hire subtle bounty hunters.

For viewers of the Flash/Arrow prelude, we now know what was going on with Savage's dust being collected. We don't really know how he gets resurrected from that, but I presume we'll find out eventually.

Is Gideon the default ai from the future?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
I only have one gripe about the series, and it may seem pretty petty, but couldn't they have cast a taller actor to play Hawkman?

Yes! (It is a little annoying I guess. Haha)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the premiere, despite a few gaps in logic and character (Stein wouldn't kidnap his other half). It was a heck of a lot of fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:

It's exaggerated a bit by the fact that the Hawkgirl actress, Ciara Renée, is so tall. She towered over Cisco on "The Flash".

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Adam Lenhardt said:
I loved that pilot. I had a smile on my face the entire hour. Surprisingly for a show that teams up supporting players from two of the lower budget superhero shows on television, it provided a lot of the same fun the first Avengers movie did: getting to see strong personalities we've gotten to know in different contexts coming together and sparking off each other in new and interesting ways.

I think I can assume the attraction of this show for Arthur Darvill: After two and a half series as the Doctor's companion on "Doctor Who", with "Legends of Tomorrow" he basically gets to be the Doctor. Having a front row seat for the best well-prepared him to play Rip Hunter, the renegade Time Lord, ahem, Time Master. At the same time, Hunter's just a human like the rest of us. He isn't an alien with two hearts from a species that looks like us but is otherwise far more advanced than us. That makes him more fallible, which helps differentiate him. We've met all of the other main cast members before, so he had the difficult task of not only marching in like he owned the place, but also being the central figure that gives our motley crew direction. He pulls it off with aplomb.

Sara Lance appeared briefly in the "Arrow" pilot, played by a soap opera actress, in which she seemed to perish to her death. She was invented for the show; her death provided a point of tension between Oliver Queen and her older sister Laurel Lance, who is an adaptation of Dinah Lance from the comics. When the "Arrow" team made the decision to resurrect the character, they cast Caity Lotz in the role. I don't think they anticipated how great Lotz would be in the role, and I don't think they ever figured out how to respond to the enthusiastic response from the audience, or how to free her from the dictates of the story that boxed her in. The problem is that Sara's story was supposed to provide texture and color for Laurel's story, but a lot of viewers -- including me -- strongly preferred Sara to Laurel. Now, with "Legends of Tomorrow", the character has been set free, and Lotz made the most of every moment on screen. I loved the idea that the assassin and the two career criminals, left back on the ship, would take advantage of the lull to go bar hopping.

Speaking of said career criminals, Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller spent four seasons developing a comradery as the stars of "Prison Break" before re-teaming as a hot and cold (pun fully intended) pair of thieves on "The Flash". That history pays dividends here, as they play off each other effortlessly. Purcell gets a lot of the best laughs of the episode as Mick Rory, who is neither a deep thinker nor a beacon of moral principle.

It's still cool to me that we get a big screen Superman as a weekly TV superhero. Routh was fun as the apple-polishing former pupil who utterly failed to make an impression on his old professor.

Victor Garber, who gets star billing on the show, is pretty terrific as Martin Stein, who gets to be up close and personal with science he could only dream about while getting to go on a vast adventure to save the planet.

The newer, mostly younger actors -- Franz Drameh, Ciara Renée and Falk Hentschel -- suffer a bit by the comparison to the more seasoned pros. But there's plenty of room in the future for them to make their mark.

The one thing that bugged me in the lead up to the show was why Rip Hunter would pick these eight instead of the Green Arrow, the Flash, and presumably Superman and Batman at some point in the future. That being the case, I was gratified to learn that -- contrary to Hunter's big speech at the beginning that made it into most of the trailers and promos -- they were picked because they had the exceptional skill sets that Hunter needed but were insignificant to the long-term timeline in a way that the Green Arrow and the Flash were not.
I also had a smile on my face throughout the episode. I've been looking forward to it and it did it disappoint. I liked the twist on "legends" and there were some nice poignant moments. Count me as another Arrow viewer who much preferred Sara Lance to Laurel Lance.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
From what I gather the show will focus on a few characters per episode, kind of like The Walking Dead.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Actually, it would be kind of fun to see a series where the team members NEVER left the others. Can you imagine when every entrance, every fight, every conversation had all the characters together - in the same shot.

The only conversation would be 'Can't I stand on the other side of X this time?' 'Why do I always have to be next to Y?'

:D

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone think the ship was way bigger inside than it showed from the outside? Also, can we please show Atom more as Ant-Man than Iron Man when using his powers? Finally, can we please show Firestorm use his powers from the comics and not just flying and shooting fireballs. Not saying he has to have all of the abilities...But, more than fireblasts.

Here is a list of his abilities from the DC WIki....

Firestorm Matrix
  • Density Control: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix have complete control over molecules and as such can change the density of solids, liquids and gases to as light as hydrogen or as heavy as uranium.
  • Eidetic Memory: Also called "Matrix Memory Recall", elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can access the memories of each and every single being that has ever been fused into the Matrix. New elements are allowed to automatically download surface information.
  • Energy Absorption: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can absorb massive amounts of energy as well as being able to absorb many different types of energy. Most commonly the elements and energies associate with life and the human body are absorbed. Also solar energy is a possible source of energy that can work as a "emergency battery" for elements out of power.
  • Energy Projection: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can project massive amounts of different amount of energies. Naturally occurring energy projected by Firestorm are "Nuclear Blasts" however elements can project a number of different energies at will.
  • Enhanced Vision: Also called "Quark Vision", elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix have access to enhanced vision due to their nuclear nature. Different visions experienced are X-Ray Vision, Microscopic Vision, and Thermal Vision.
  • Flight: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can soar through the sky at amazing speeds. At first it may be difficult to achieve flight through Firestorm's nuclear nature though most master it quickly. Firestorms have been clocked at over 600mph theoretically they can fly much faster.
  • Molecular Reconstruction Elements tied together into the Firestorm Matrix to create Firestorm have one main ability which all other stem from. Their "atomic fusion" or "nuclear nature" stem from nuclear physics tempering with the user's mixture of psychic energies as well as physical properties. Users accessing Firestorm or the Firestorm Matrix are called "elements" as they individually make up the Matrix. Firestorms can break down and reapply subatomic particles as well as break up the molecular structure of elements and rearrange them. To do this the element must know the exact elemental make-up of the object or human. Most Firestorms cannot affect living tissue but it is possible though very unstable.
  • Phasing: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can phase their bodies through solid objects. Although they have direct control over an object's density they can use this ability on themselves and only themselves and affect living tissue to pass through objects.
  • Psychic Link: Sometimes called "floating heads", elements that embody the Firestorm Matrix appear mostly as floating heads to represent their psychic link to the other human being or other element in the Matrix. They can be represented however they'd like but the Matrix defaults them to a disembodied head. Even disconnected an element may have latent psychic traces of the previous user.
  • Regeneration: Though a majorly untested power as well as being as much a reaction from shape-shifting and a direct result of molecular reconstruction; nonetheless, Firestorm elements can regenerate large sections of misplaced or destroyed physical properties.
  • Self-Sustenance: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can survive in space unaided, never need to eat to sustain life and never truly need another element to be processed or broken down by their bodies. Although users may feel these needs and would enjoy producing such bodily functions it is unnecessary.
  • Superhuman Durability Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix receive an increased amount of physical resistance and durability. They can survive bullets and stab wounds as well as the physical damage of exploding constantly.
  • Superhuman Strength Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix receive an increased amount of physical strength and muscle mass. Certain elements can tap into this energy and become large hulking entities however such strength can be quite destructive to the host if not used sparingly.
  • Transformation Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can transform from their "normal" human forms into Firestorm, the Nuclear Man. However other entities may take whatever form they want; such as, Black Lantern Firestorm and Fury. Furthermore, elements can transform their body or body parts at will with concentration with an unknown level of restraint.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
todd s said:
Did anyone think the ship was way bigger inside than it showed from the outside? Also, can we please show Atom more as Ant-Man than Iron Man when using his powers? Finally, can we please show Firestorm use his powers from the comics and not just flying and shooting fireballs. Not saying he has to have all of the abilities...But, more than fireblasts.

Here is a list of his abilities from the DC WIki....

Both Atom and Firestorm are still learning what they can do. I would be very much surprised if we see even half of those Firestorm powers this season.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Decent show but what happened to Firestorm? Who is the black guy? Did I miss something in a previous show where they changed the character? He seems completely different than the other guy (other than color).

When they went to 1975, there was Star Wars references from the indigenous there. Star Wars did not come out till 1977. Kind of an obvious faux pax.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Gary Seven said:
Decent show but what happened to Firestorm? Who is the black guy? Did I miss something in a previous show where they changed the character? He seems completely different than the other guy (other than color).

When they went to 1975, there was Star Wars references from the indigenous there. Star Wars did not come out till 1977. Kind of an obvious faux pax.

He's the new "other half" of Firestorm. That happened in one of the last episodes of Flash of 2015. I forget the exact story, honestly.

Which reference are you talking to? I remember the Boba Fett one and I think there was one more, but my brain isn't working.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Gary Seven said:
When Chronos appears, two kids make a Darth Vader comment on how he looks.
I think the Chronos appearance was in (our) present day - the site where the ship took off.

He was tracking the ship, and stopped there before following it to 1975

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks