What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 3) (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Really liked it until the Gideon reveal, but they ended it nicely. Also, I’m a fan of Sara’s disco look.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I thought having it all being between Gideon and Zari was a nice twist on the concept.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A fun pirate adventure. Enjoyed seeing Jonathan Cake playing a less than brave version of Blackbeard. Cake usually plays characters who are uber-macho.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I wish Ray hadn't gone back on his own to save Nora. He should have had a better plan. The obvious thing to do would have been to have someone else with him with the nanite gun ready to fire it again if the Darhks turned on them.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show probably brings me more joy than any other one on television right now. Every week is a new adventure with delightful, character-driven humor. As the other Arrowverse shows have stumbled this season, this is far and away my favorite of the bunch.

Even the relationship stuff, which bogs down the other shows terribly, mostly works here. The awkward first date between Sara and Ava was just an awkward first date; it was the setup for the punchline of everything that went wrong while they stepped away from their duties for one evening. It kept things tied into everything else that was going on, and it paid great dividends with Gary on Ava's side and Nate/Ray/Zari on Sara's side.

And I continue to like the ways they thread Nate and Amaya's relationship through the show. They're definitely starcrossed lovers, with all of their knowledge of the historical record working against them, but when you see them together it isn't all handringing like it was with Hawkman and Hawkgirl in the first season. They have real chemistry together, and unlike all of the teenage flirtations on the other shows, they actually get frisky with each other.

With both Rip Hunter and Damien Darhk, the show has locked onto the fact that less is more. Arthur Darvill and Neal McDonough get far less screen time than they did previously, but the material is far better. Damien's note with the fire totem just about killed me:
LegendsOfTomorrow_S03_013.jpg

And Rip Hunter and Wally West dueting "Careless Whisper" at a karaoke bar in 1992 was everything I never knew I needed.

A fun pirate adventure.
Yes indeed. The show did an admirable job capturing the spirit of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on a much, much, much smaller budget.

My first exposure to Maisie Richardson-Sellers was on "The Originals", where she played the dual roles of Rebekah Mikaelson and Eva Sinclair, two dueling consciousnesses that (at the time) shared the same body. Rebekah Mikaelson was the world's oldest female vampire, and Eva Sinclair was an evil child-murdering voodoo witch corrupted by a terrible dark energy. Two very distinct personalities, but both full of color and personality and life. She tore through every scene she got.

She's great as Amaya, but Amaya is a much more restrained role; while she's loosened up considerably over the course of two seasons she's been on the show, she's still the closest thing the Waverider has to a responsible adult.

It was great to see her get to take on the Dread Pirate Jiwe persona and reclaim some of that swagger and roguish charisma.

Enjoyed seeing Jonathan Cake playing a less than brave version of Blackbeard. Cake usually plays characters who are uber-macho.
This show has a lot of fun deconstructing historical figures in ways contrary to how history remembers them.

I wish Ray hadn't gone back on his own to save Nora. He should have had a better plan. The obvious thing to do would have been to have someone else with him with the nanite gun ready to fire it again if the Darhks turned on them.
To be fair, Ray does stupid naive stuff like this all of the time. But I was figuring that Nora would covertly extend Mallus's influence; Ray would head back to the Waverider thinking he'd prevailed, unaware that he was primed for demonic possession in the near future.

Instead, it seems clear that they were just using the stinger to set up a Ray/Damien/Nora subplot next week.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Regarding Nate and Amaya, when she says to Mick she has to go back to 1942 and marry someone else, why does no one say "Why? How do you know he's not your husband?" I suppose they're going to make that a big reveal at some point, but it's pretty obvious.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Entertaining show, but it's almost getting too campy with Neil really playing to the rafters with his delighted villainy.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It was quite campy, but I did enjoy the show and chuckled several times.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"No, we... we allow light to moderate theft on this ship. We like to call them souvenirs."

Entertaining show, but it's almost getting too campy with Neil really playing to the rafters with his delighted villainy.
The rules of what this show can get away with a very different than what the other Arrowverse shows could get away with. Moments that would make me roll my eyes on the other shows make me smile with glee here.

The sheer gumption of making brisk, breezy rom-com between the most boy scout-ish of superheroes and a demon-possessed supervillain absolutely delighted me. Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford are married in real life of course, but their chemistry here was on point. And then the fifties family melodrama between the immortal megalomaniac who literally tried to destroy the world once and is working to do it again and said demon-possessed daughter was just the cheery on top.

If the actors weren't so great at finding just the right tone, the whole shaky enterprise would fall apart. But because they are that good, it completely works for me.

And the inventiveness on display of a fight scene where contemporary Damien Darhk tries to hold off sixties Damien Darhk while simultaneously preventing his daughter from plummeting to her death wowed me. It was timed like an "I Love Lucy" skit, but it also worked as an action set piece with real stakes.

Was that the first time in live action that we've seen the spirit totem enable flight? Mari McCabe uses it to fly in the animated "Vixen" series, but I don't know that we've seen Amaya fly with it thus far.

I think Wally will fit in better here than he did on "The Flash", where he often felt extraneous. The danger with speedsters, though, is that they're almost too powerful. I hope the writers here are better at avoiding the kind of contrivances "The Flash" uses to prevent Barry from instantly saving the day every single time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This remains a fun show. The latest episode was full of fun moments. I hope they're not cultivating a romance between Ray and Nora, only because everyone doesn't need to have a romantic partner. It makes this seem like high school.

Otherwise, the show is a hoot.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The sheer gumption of making brisk, breezy rom-com between the most boy scout-ish of superheroes and a demon-possessed supervillain absolutely delighted me. Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford are married in real life of course, but their chemistry here was on point.
I did not know about them being married. That puts a different spin on the actors enjoying the team-up.

Now that we've had another Darhk-heavy episode I hope we don't see him next time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show has become the highlight of my TV-watching week.

Wally West already fits way better here than he ever did on "The Flash". Zari's admonition to Wally about only using his powers when appropriate was a nice way for the writers to preempt questions like, "Why doesn't Wally just use his speed to save the day every time?"

Now that we've had another Darhk-heavy episode I hope we don't see him next time.
You got your wish!

Fun fantasy episode with Elvis at the center.
I liked Luke Bilyk's performance as Elvis, but it did seem strange that with thousands of Elvis impersonators to cast from, they couldn't find someone with a stronger physical resemblance. If he hadn’t explicitly introduced himself by name to the music store proprietor in the cold open, I wouldn’t have make the connection.

This is one of those episodes where the diverse makeup of the Waverider crew runs up against the racist reality of much of the past, and the show soft pedals it a bit too much. Zari could maybe pass if she told people she was Sicilian or something, but Amaya and Wally would have had a much tougher time. In 1954, Tennessee’s anti-miscegenation laws were still in effect and segregation of transportation and public accommodation were still mandated by statute

The episode got it right that Elvis’s congregation was all white and uncomfortable with their presences, especially since we were still six years away from Martin Luther King’s observation to Ned Brooks on “Meet the Press” that “it is one of the tragedies of our nation, one of the shameful tragedies, that eleven o’clock on Sunday morning is one of the most segregated hours, if not the most segregated hours, in Christian America.” In all likelihood, the baptist preacher would have been using his pulpit to preach the righteousness of the racist status quo.

But I didn't quite buy that Nate and Amaya could get away with cavorting around Memphis without attracting the wrong kind of attention, especially once they got arrested with Elvis. And they certainly wouldn’t have been able to get away with dancing together in the white church.

All of that being said, once I managed to suspend my disbelief, there was a lot to like.

Nate and Amaya are one of my favorite couples in all of the Arrowverse. They've got a lot working against them, but their scenes together ooze with chemistry and we see them enjoying each other's company rather than suffering through immature drama. I liked Nate trying to share his passion for rock and roll with Amaya. I especially liked that it wasn’t really her thing, but she loved Nate’s enthusiasm for it. And got her revenge later with the traditional Zambesi music. “Amazing Grace” being their song is a little on the nose, given that the episode is built around the death stone, given that it is a song (written by slave trader who became a vocal abolitionist) about the deliverance of grace to flawed people through redemption. But, setting aside, it worked for me.

Mick and Axl were a stitch.
Dominic Purcell is definitely the MVP of a very strong cast. Mick Rory is so well-defined, and so enjoyable every single time he appears.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I liked it, but I agree the actor playing Elvis didn't have the physical resemblance that some other actors have had. But what he lacked in physical characteristics, he made up for in his performance.

I also agree that the racism of the time should have played a more prominent part in the story, since it was inescapable in that time and place. When Nate and Amaya (and Zari and Wally) danced together -- that would have set off huge alarms.

Here's hoping the show gets renewed (I see no reason it wouldn't) and that all of this cast comes back for another season.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Yes, another fun episode. I was waiting for something to happen wrt to the mixed racial dancing, but they basically ignored it. Too much other stuff going on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As with The Flash, LOT has surprised me this season. I've been watching the Tivo'd season, catching up, and it's been a fun. Last season really burned my britches. But S3 is doing ok. I like Ava. I thought losing Rip would be a problem, but his reduced role is fine.

On the whole, "Here I go again", the Groundhog Day episode, was about the best episode this season so far. The surrounding episodes about Nora were also pretty good.

The latest one about Elvis, "Amazing Grace" was then equally and oppositely bad. Oh well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks