What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 3) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From the two-parter that airs immediately after the "Crisis on Earth-X" four-way crossover later this month:
LegendsOfTomorrow_S03_009.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fun episode tonight, I especially loved the old school title card.

I do really miss when the four DC CW shows would each open a night, Monday through Thursday, though. By the time I get around to this on overstuffed Tuesdays, I'm dozing off and on through the hour.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I fully understand why they chose the film actress they did.
Unfortunately throughout the episode, a voice in my head kept saying “that’s Hedley”

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This week's show was a hoot, and actually informative. Never really followed Ms. LeMar's career (That's not HEADLY), was very surprised to know she was a science genius as well as a stunningly beautiful actress. What a great show this continues to be, week in and week out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing I forgot to mention last night: This episode was the first confirmation we've gotten that Themyscira exists on Earth-1 and therefore Wonder Woman could make an appearance in the Arrowverse down the road.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
One thing I forgot to mention last night: This episode was the first confirmation we've gotten that Themyscira exists on Earth-1 and therefore Wonder Woman could make an appearance in the Arrowverse down the road.

I noted that as well, genius way to introduce the Wonder Woman mythology for a possible arc in the future.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was a terrific episode, loads of fun. Of course, it was great to see the Wonder Woman reference at the end. Let's hope that's not all we see of it.

One thing: Sarah and Darhk have to stop fighting to the death every time we see them. Otherwise, it's another "Whoops, he got away again!"

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Anyone know how many episode the show will have this season? IMDb lists 18, which is one more than last season (which was one more than the season before). Any idea why it's always a shorter season than the other Arrowverse shows?

Also, is Supergirl having a shorter season? IMDb only lists 15 season 3 episodes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Click here for photos from “Supergirl”: “Crisis on Earth X, Part 1”
Click here for photos from “Arrow”: “Crisis on Earth X, Part 2”
Click here for photos from “The Flash”: “Crisis on Earth X, Part 3”

LegendsOfTomorrow_S03_010.jpg

Harry and Cisco Pilot the Waverider. Pictured (L-R): Tala Ashe as Zari Tomaz, Tom Cavanagh as Harry Wells, Maisie Richardson-Sellers as Amaya Jiwe/Vixen, Danielle Panabaker as Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost and Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon/Vibe

LegendsOfTomorrow_S03_011.jpg

Class of 2017. Pictured (L-R)
(TOP): Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer/Atom, Tom Cavanagh as Harry Wells, Dominic Purcell as Mick Rory/Heat Wave
(MIDDLE): Echo Kellum as Curtis Holt/Mr.Terrific, Wentworth Miller as Leo-X/Citizen Cold, Russell Tovey as Ray Terrill/The Ray, Chyler Leigh as Alex Danvers, Rick Gonzalez as Rene Ramirez/Wild Dog, Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon/Vibe, Candice Patton as Iris West and Juliana Harkavy as Dinah Drake/Black Canary
(BOTTOM): Nick Zano as Nate Heywood/Citizen Steel, Danielle Panabaker as Caitlin Snow/Killer Frost, Caity Lotz as Sara Lance/White Canary, Melissa Benoist as Kara/Supergirl, Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/The Flash, Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak, Tala Ashe as Zari Tomez and Maisie Richardson-Sellers as Amaya Jiwe/Vixen

Given that the crossover this year is literally one 160-minute movie split into four parts, I really hope that they include the entire crossover in each of the season Blu-Rays.

Anyone know how many episode the show will have this season? IMDb lists 18, which is one more than last season (which was one more than the season before). Any idea why it's always a shorter season than the other Arrowverse shows?
The CW only programs 10 hours of primetime a week, which is significantly less than the 18 hours that the Big Three (CBS, NBC, ABC) program and even the 13 hours that FOX programs. As a result, they program roughly half their schedule like a broadcast network with 22-23 episodes and the other half like a cable network, with two slates of shorter seasons. "Arrow", "The Flash" and "Supergirl" are programmed like broadcast shows, while "Legends of Tomorrow" (along with the upcoming "Black Lightning") is on the long side of the cable show programming model.

In an excellent, in-depth Collider interview with co-showrunner Marc Guggenheim, it was confirmed that this season is 18 episodes. Given the unique production challenges of the show, with a large ensemble cast with no clear lead and only one standing set, "18 is probably the most we can do. It's a very, very, very ambitious show, even compared to the other shows because of the ensemble nature.”

"The budget's pretty similar to the other super-powered shows, it's just the production challenges are” greater than the other series. "Every week we have to create a new time period. And every week we've gotta have all of these different kind of super powers on display. On 'Flash,' he's just running fast. On 'Supergirl' she’s flying. But we've got three characters who fly and ... in Thawne last year we had a guy who was running fast, and ... the nature of the show is, you've got all of the different visual effects gags that all the shows do combined, plus time travel, plus historical accuracy, plus new costumes, new locations. It's madness."

Also, is Supergirl having a shorter season? IMDb only lists 15 season 3 episodes.
I couldn't find a confirmed episode count, but I'm almost certain that it will be 20-23 episodes. I think IMDB only shows 15 because episode 15 is the episode they're working on right now. None of the stuff I've read about episode 15 describes it as the season finale.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought last night's episode was really stellar. Gorilla Grodd as king of the jungle smack dab in the middle of the Vietnam War is a concept that is too delicious to resist.

But the real power of the episode was Mick coming face to face with his father. This is a man who tormented and abused him as a child, and whom he in turn murdered via arson. Mick had a very strong opinion of what kind of man his father was, and that played heavily into his feelings about the maybe-accidental fire that burned down his childhood home, with both parents still inside. The version of Mick's father we meet here isn't a good man, per se, but he isn't the burnt out monster that Mick thought him to be either.

I'm kind of rooting against them finding a way to make Jax solo Firestorm. I'd much rather they use Stein's pending departure as an opportunity to add another crew member and give Firestorm a different dynamic. If they brought on Gehenna as the new second half of Firestorm, that would balance out the team with four males and four females.

Next week, these ongoing storylines take a break as the Legends of Tomorrow pay a visit to 2017 for the Wedding of Barry Allen and Iris West. An extended trailer:

And a poster:
DCTV-Crossover_2017_Fall_002.jpg

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
The older Brandon Routh gets, the more he looks like Superman -more than Henry Cavill ever will.

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
I'm really enjoying this series. It seems to be the only DC show that doesn't take itself to seriously and has a lot of fun.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Atom's introduction in the crossover may be one of my favorites of all time on these shows. It took a moment for my brain to process what I was seeing, and once it did I was absolutely delighted.

Man, Overgirl really went out with a bang, didn't she?

I didn't buy at all that Barry would just let Eobard run off. Setting aside the personal grudges Barry holds against him, Eobard has just caused too much death and destruction to be allowed to remain at large. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if his intervention in the 1940s is what gave the Earth-X Nazis the bomb.

As I mentioned in the "Flash" thread, it seems strange that they've set up Snart's Earth-X doppelganger to be present on Earth-1 just as Wentworth Miller announces his departure from the Arrowverse.

I will never stop loving Diggle's reactions to people with superpowers.

"Legends of Tomorrow" has a large ensemble cast, and balancing so many characters requires leaning on archetypes as a shorthand. This means that Victor Garber, who receives top billing and came into this show with the most impressive pedigree, hasn't always been called upon to utilize the full extent of his talents. But in the fourth part of this year's crossover event both him and Franz Drameh really knocked it out of the park. The unique nature of the relationship between Stein and Jax defies easy categorization, but they sure made the audience experience the depth of feeling between the two of them. "Legends" is usually pretty light and breezy, but they played this straight and they needed to.

The montage of reactions across the ship was well done, both with the characters who knew him during Stein's recurring tenure on "The Flash", and his teammates aboard the Waverider. Hopefully the "Legends" mid-season finale continues to explore the emotional fallout of this major sea change for the team.

I was a bit disappointed in the weddings of Barry/Iris and Oliver/Felicity. The stripped down low-key nature of it, in the park, I was fine with. But the vagaries of balancing the guest star commitments across such a massive crossover meant that a lot of people weren't there that should be been. At minimum, Joe and Wally should have been there for Barry and Iris. At minimum, Donna Smoak should have been there for Felicity. And, at minimum, William and Thea should have been there for Oliver.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I haven’t seen the cross over episodes yet, but this show is beginning to get really silly and juvenile. I found the last episode with the switched bodies almost unwatchable. Has it always been like this and I haven’t noticed, or is my PVR recording the Disney channel version? I don’t want unremitting gloom like Arrow, but I shouldn’t feel embarrassed to watch.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I didn't buy at all that Barry would just let Eobard run off. Setting aside the personal grudges Barry holds against him, Eobard has just caused too much death and destruction to be allowed to remain at large. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if his intervention in the 1940s is what gave the Earth-X Nazis the bomb
The montage of reactions across the ship was well done, both with the characters who knew him during Stein's recurring tenure on "The Flash", and his teammates aboard the Waverider. Hopefully the "Legends" mid-season finale continues to explore the emotional fallout of this major sea change for the team.

I was a bit disappointed in the weddings of Barry/Iris and Oliver/Felicity. The stripped down low-key nature of it, in the park, I was fine with. But the vagaries of balancing the guest star commitments across such a massive crossover meant that a lot of people weren't there that should be been. At minimum, Joe and Wally should have been there for Barry and Iris. At minimum, Donna Smoak should have been there for Felicity. And, at minimum, William and Thea should have been there for Oliver.
The whole Eobard situation bugs me. I still don't really know if he is the Earth-1 Eobard and if so, how is he connected with Earth-X in first place. He could have been the Earth-X Eobard who decided to change history there by giving the Nazis the bomb and thus he would have had this Flash history in his original timeline. At the very least Barry should have taken Eobard prisoner or has Cisco send him somewhere.

Yes, the reaction's to Martin's death were powerful. Nicely done.

Right, having more people at the weddings would have made more sense, but maybe they can have another ceremony for their families. Of course, while Barry & Iris must have had all their paperwork done, Oliver & Felicity have not.

One more item that comes to mind - there is a body of a dead Oliver Queen. If Oliver doesn't somehow use that to his advantage on Arrow, I will be disappointed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finished the crossover last night. I really enjoyed it. It was kind of a bold move to make it four episodes that didn't really fit with their respective series. For example, the Supergirl episode could have been any one of the other shows.

Two big things I did not like at all: 1) Killing Stein. Come on, why does every person leaving a show have to die? Can they think of no other way to write someone off? I thought they were going a different route with Stein, and were going to let him retire peacefully, which would have been something very different and rarely seen. But no, they resorted to cliche.
2) Barry letting Thawne go. WTF? Why? Because he didn't want to kill him? Thawne has proven to be too dangerous - he was about to carve up Barry's friend Kara, for crying out loud. He will no doubt surface again soon, and Barry will be overcome with guilt for letting him go. Bad writing, and predictable.

Otherwise, the four hours had plenty of action and more importantly, great character interaction. One question: Why leave Snart on Earth 1 if this is Wentworth Miller's exit from the Arrowverse?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Otherwise, the four hours had plenty of action and more importantly, great character interaction. One question: Why leave Snart on Earth 1 if this is Wentworth Miller's exit from the Arrowverse?
It does seem weird that if he was going not reappear that they would have him coming to Earth 1, but maybe this episode isn't his exit. There is another Legends episode this calendar year.

By the way, I was looking up Russell Tovey, who plays The Ray, and saw that there will be an animated series which will show his origin and some events on Earth X before these episodes (and maybe after?).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, what was most impressive about this crossover was that it was a true mix of characters from episode to episode, not just an episode with a bit of crossover like last year. It was like a four-hour movie. Must have been tough on the actors, but the character interaction was indeed great for us fans. (It almost made me want to start watching ARROW again; I gave up on it a few seasons back.)

(Does anyone ever truly die on these shows? Garber and Donna Murphy begin kicking up their heels in the Broadway revival of HELLO, DOLLY! next month, and once that's done I expect Stein will return to the fold somehow.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Donna Murphy is already kicking up her heels once a week in the run. Bernadette Peters takes over as Dolly full time in January.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Does anyone ever truly die on these shows?

The writers have several ways of bringing people back – or appearing to do so. Time travel, Lazarus pits, parallel Earths – to name three that we've seen. (This is NOT a suggestion to dunk Stein in a Lazarus pit! Being killed by Nazis is bad enough without coming back the way that Sarah did.)

As for Firestorm, they don't need to resurrect Stein to bring that character back. They could introduce a new character who has been caught in a similar nuclear accident, and so can replace Stein in the matrix. This would change personal interactions, but has been done before (in comics).

An interesting twist might be if the replacement character was a future version of Stein's daughter ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks