What's new

iPhone X pre-order and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I agree, the current X is the perfect size. Fits in my pocket yet has a very large screen.

Everyone has specific needs in terms of storage space. I like to have as much as possible for music files. I rip my CDs with Apple Lossless and so they take up space. The 256 gives me room as I add more CDs.

You should consider the weight too. The iPhone X is a tad heavier then the iPhone 6 which is what I upgraded from.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's also heavier than the iPhone 7 that I upgraded from. In fact the "heaviness" of the X was the first thing I noticed when I picked it up.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has anybody tried the Portrait Mode on the X? I find the different settings don’t make much of a diffference. I think the stage light mode, under certain circumstances, blacks out the background, though not perfectly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve used it on my 8+. The different lighting options are a little subtle but noticeable. The stage lighting tends to work fine in my few tests. But not always perfectly.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That is an AMAZING photo -- especially for the fact it was taken by the X.

I love my X. Seriously contemplating moving up to the X PLUS this year, or waiting for next year and see if they get rid of the notch.

Rumors abound that the next Galaxy phone will get an incredible camera that will put the X to shame. However, that's no reason for me to even consider switching back to Android.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
These companies are always trying to one up each other. I'm sure the new Galaxy cam will be better than the X. But it better be, because it's had 10 months or more to catch up. I'm pretty sure Apple's new X Plus (or X2 or whatever it will be called) isn't going to let Samsung embarrass it in terms of camera (or build) quality.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, how did you catch this shot without spooking the fly? It’s a great shot, doesn’t even look real.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
How about some background on this pic? How did you do it?
Yes, how did you catch this shot without spooking the fly? It’s a great shot, doesn’t even look real.

So I was walking out the door of an office building and I saw the largest fly I have ever seen on the outside of the plate glass doors. It was the size of a quarter, so if that disappoints ya from macro perspective, I understand. It's still pretty small!

So, knowing fly tendencies I took a few pics from INSIDE the building, and it seemed like it didn't even see me through the door. Those were pretty cool but the lighting was bad. Maybe I can follow up with one of them tomorrow. So I went out the partner door to the one the fly is on (the pair of them swing out.). The fly didn't move. So I started 2 feet back and started taking pics. I was desperate to get closer but knew it would fly away if I got too close. 1 foot away, more snaps. 8 inches out. 4 inches, which is close to minimum focal distance and I got this one. Right after my final snap it buzzed away.

I don't usually edit my iPhone snaps, but I did a minor crop (to widescreenish, the damn crop tool doesn't have a way to force original ratio!) and adjusted brightness levels only. That's the original color balance. That's my story!

Thank you all for the kind words, I am definitely gonna get a print of this one.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So I was walking out the door of an office building and I saw the largest fly I have ever seen on the outside of the plate glass doors. It was the size of a quarter, so if that disappoints ya from macro perspective, I understand. It's still pretty small!

So, knowing fly tendencies I took a few pics from INSIDE the building, and it seemed like it didn't even see me through the door. Those were pretty cool but the lighting was bad. Maybe I can follow up with one of them tomorrow. So I went out the partner door to the one the fly is on (the pair of them swing out.). The fly didn't move. So I started 2 feet back and started taking pics. I was desperate to get closer but knew it would fly away if I got too close. 1 foot away, more snaps. 8 inches out. 4 inches, which is close to minimum focal distance and I got this one. Right after my final snap it buzzed away.

I don't usually edit my iPhone snaps, but I did a minor crop (to widescreenish, the damn crop tool doesn't have a way to force original ratio!) and adjusted brightness levels only. That's the original color balance. That's my story!

Thank you all for the kind words, I am definitely gonna get a print of this one.
How did you get the phone to focus so close. I can’t do that?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I love my X. Seriously contemplating moving up to the X PLUS this year, or waiting for next year and see if they get rid of the notch.
I’d like to upgrade from 8+ to the X2 this year. I was really tempted last year, and am now even more interested in a second gen all-screen, Face ID, iPhone. But one year into my 8+, it would be a big splurge. So, I don’t know. :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Not taking anything from Sam’s photo, but the default photo app just does that. iPhones focus fine down to about 4” or so, especially if there’s good light and good contrast. I just checked with my 8+.
Is there a trick to getting the phone to focus that close?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks