What's new

iPhone Upgrade Program: Worth It? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m trying to convince myself to wait for 2020 iPhones. Don’t know if it’s working. I remain intrigued by the 11 in a way that I wasn’t for the XR which was a downgrade from my 8+ camera-wise.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My order is locked in ready to go for 8am. I’m having slight buyers remorse over black Vice midnight green. Someone called it Boba Fett Green and that’s got me spinning :)
I like the midnight green, it’s a good choice. However, most of my phone will be covered by a case, so color becomes less important for the phone. I dream of a world...where your can leave your iphone naked and not fear drop damage, etc. I think that world includes six of my friends carrying me by the handles. :rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm going caseless. I figure Green is the new black. I will call him Boba!
I presume you are naturally careful with your phone. I’m a klutz and have dropped my X a few times. My UAG case has been critical in keeping my phone in good working order.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My order is locked in ready to go for 8am. I’m having slight buyers remorse over black Vice midnight green. Someone called it Boba Fett Green and that’s got me spinning :)

Congrats on your new phone, Sam.

I am actually still sitting here regretting not purchasing it. What is worse, nearly three hours later the Pro Max Space Grey with 512GB storage is still available to be delivered on release day.

I just can't...can't justify spending the money for a small spec bump and a new camera system. Not knocking your purchase, Sam, as I know you are a photographer.

I would rather put the money away for next year's phone which I am presuming is going to be pretty incredible. We should have 5G and I am hoping apple pencil compatible.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I threw down on an 11. I am not a power user, and have been fine with my 6S, but I have wanted a better iPhone camera for a while.

I splash out on some pretty damn expensive toys, but I just can't see >$1K for a phone. When they launched the X phones, that was the line I would not cross. Other than the lack of the 3rd lens, it looks like the 11 and 11 Pros have the same sensors and image processing, so I felt that this was a good time to finally retire the 6S.

I had no thoughts of waiting for the 2020's. The refresh cycle is so fast that no matter when one jumps on the train, there will always be something better/faster/cooler at the next stop.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
were there apps you couldn't DL cause you had an out of date IOS?
No. My main reason for upgrading was the slightly increased screen size (without having a larger phone), and my battery has not been that great for about 6 months. I use my phone heavily for work so really need it to be more reliable (battery-wise). I used to upgrade every two years so this was the longest I had gone. I know next year's phones are expected to have a little more whiz-bang, but I didn't think I could comfortably last another year with what I have.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I just can't...can't justify spending the money for a small spec bump and a new camera system.

Just bought the new iPhone 11 Pro Max (512GB Space Grey) on the upgrade plan. Delivery next week, on the release date.

I don't know what's wrong with me

I’d like to listen in on the conversation between Past Ron and Future Ron on their tech purchase decisions. :D

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Past Ron always seems to be talking himself out of doing what Future Ron inevitably always does :D

It's scary.

I sat here yesterday constantly going to Apple's site to see how their sales were doing.

At the same time, I contemplated the cost. With my iPhone X trade-in, the PRO was significantly cheaper. Combine that with the upgrade plan and it seemed to make sense.

So I bought the new phone not really needing it.

I'm totally screwed up in my tech purchase decisions.

Hey...give me credit...I didn't buy a watch this year.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m just giving you a good natured tease :)

I’m certainly guilty of making my share of purchases that a) go against my own words and b) aren’t easy to explain to others. You love Mac stuff. It has a functional use for you but it’s also part of your fashion and then on top of that it’s also one of hobbies. And it’s always fun to buy new toys :)

Enjoy them all, and in good health, my friend.

By the way, I got a refurbished 2018 MacBook Pro maybe a month ago and I had been worried about the keyboard thing and like you I’ve been surprised at how much I don’t hate it. I guess I got lucky and got one of the repaired ones or just one that doesn’t suck.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I’m just giving you a good natured tease :)

I’m certainly guilty of making my share of purchases that a) go against my own words and b) aren’t easy to explain to others. You love Mac stuff. It has a functional use for you but it’s also part of your fashion and then on top of that it’s also one of hobbies. And it’s always fun to buy new toys :)

Enjoy them all, and in good health, my friend.

By the way, I got a refurbished 2018 MacBook Pro maybe a month ago and I had been worried about the keyboard thing and like you I’ve been surprised at how much I don’t hate it. I guess I got lucky and got one of the repaired ones or just one that doesn’t suck.

Josh,

I am so very happy that you have no keyboard issues.

I went through two Macbook Pros in two years. Both had keyboard problems.

Mind you, they don't start immediately. It usually kicks in after a little wear and tear.

Now, you bought a used one. So, if the keyboard issue is not evident at this point, it looks like smooth sailing for you.

Enjoy!!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was testing out the upgrade program. I’m not in it yet and it if I select a phone without a carrier, I’m not getting a monthly payment, just pay for it in full. Is that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks