What's new

iPhone X pre-order and owners thread (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
You didn't break face recognition. It did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What are your battery-life experiences for your X? Mine's getting a little low by the end of day. Maybe once I get by the new-toy syndrome, I'll have better performance.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My iPhone X is at 63% right now at the end of the day. It’s got WiFi and Bluetooth running all day too as it talks to the Apple Watch. There are days I use the AirPods a few hours a day too on and off, but I didn’t use them today. I also text during the day. And I get alerts from news apps. I’ve not gone below 50%.

I try to maintain a lean amount of use. I haven’t checked if all the apps are using cellular data as I had turned most apps that use cellular off on my iPhone 6 and I think those settings may have come over during set-up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to post some thoughts about usage of the new iPhone X verses my iPhone 6 which I used for 3 years. Mainly about using Face ID.

Its interesting that I picked up the iPhone 6 last night as I wanted to try to get something from it and it felt so much lighter and thinner.

About Face ID, it's working pretty much all the time when I properly look at it. On the possible downside, I have to look at the phone for it to work. So putting aside the issue of how much better Face ID is over Touch ID for security, one of the nice things about Touch ID on the older iPhone is I could easily unlock the phone by touching the home button say under a desk while still maintaining eye contact with a colleague at work or while in a meeting. Or while driving I could reach down and unlock the phone and never take my attention away from driving. I never ever used the phone while driving so I never text or answer the phone. But sometimes I may want to open the phone to start an app like Waze to check traffic, or on occasion to take a photo of a cool car. That's tough as I'm a firm believer in safety while driving so if we are stopped I can do that.

I have an App for the doctor's office I go to, at first I was disappointed that the new version doesn't work with Face ID because it was cool that it used Touch ID to get the password. But I saw there was an update that does use Face ID. But I was so used the old phone and I hardly used that app, the password was lost from my memory. So I'll have to get that reset. It's great that certain apps use the Touch ID to replace entering a password, and even better Face ID is implemented. Downside is forgetting the password!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget you can turn off "require my attention" if you want, which disables you having to look at it. Yes it makes it less secure (and someone could knock you unconscious and then unlock your phone, but I think you'd have bigger problems in that circumstance). My sunglasses required that I did that for it to work, and to be honest I haven't noticed any "inappropriate unlocking" in normal use with that setting turned off.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My iPhone X is at 63% right now at the end of the day. It’s got WiFi and Bluetooth running all day too as it talks to the Apple Watch. There are days I use the AirPods a few hours a day too on and off, but I didn’t use them today. I also text during the day. And I get alerts from news apps. I’ve not gone below 50%.

I try to maintain a lean amount of use. I haven’t checked if all the apps are using cellular data as I had turned most apps that use cellular off on my iPhone 6 and I think those settings may have come over during set-up.
My X wakes up at the slightest movement. There must be a setting to stop that. That could save some juice.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My X doesn't wake up until I touch the surface. And it has to be with my fingerprint (rubbing the back of my knuckle doesn't wake it, I just tested). I am checking my settings, it has "Tap to wake" set to on, but I don't remember ever setting it to on so that should be a default setting. I do remember on an older iPhone (maybe my oil 7+) I turned off "Raise to Wake" or some setting like that, but I can't find that setting right now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Carlo. That’s a good suggestion about ' require my attention' on Face ID. I'll keep that in mind. For now I'll keep going as is, just in case someone does knock me out. :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Here's a legal question about face id. Say are arrested for some crime. It seems the police could easily unlock your phone by pointing it at you. Would that be legal?

One way to defeat that would be to make faces at the phone. I just tried it and the phone won't unlock.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No idea about the legality of cops pointing the phone at your face forcibly, but if you're the kind of person who has a reasonable fear of running against the law, I'm sure the recommendation would be to not use face ID and to require a passcode.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we get our first court case of a citizen vs. police who pointed their phone at their face. It's a when, not if, scenario.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's a legal question about face id. Say are arrested for some crime. It seems the police could easily unlock your phone by pointing it at you. Would that be legal?

One way to defeat that would be to make faces at the phone. I just tried it and the phone won't unlock.
Practically, yes. Same for a mugging.

You can have Emergency SOS enabled, and activate of you are concerned for your personal and/or iPhone safety. This feature disabled biometrics and requires PIN for unlocking.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208076

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Practically, yes. Same for a mugging.

You can have Emergency SOS enabled, and activate of you are concerned for your personal and/or iPhone safety. This feature disabled biometrics and requires PIN for unlocking.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208076
But this requires making an emergency call, I think? What is I only want to quickly disable face-I’d?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No idea about the legality of cops pointing the phone at your face forcibly, but if you're the kind of person who has a reasonable fear of running against the law, I'm sure the recommendation would be to not use face ID and to require a passcode.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we get our first court case of a citizen vs. police who pointed their phone at their face. It's a when, not if, scenario.
I’m 71 and never been arrested. A speeding ticket is my most serious run-in with the law. However, in the blink of an eye, your life can change.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But this requires making an emergency call, I think? What is I only want to quickly disable face-I’d?
No. You can disable the 911 phone call completely. Or you can leave it enabled, but stop the call before it's placed; theres a 3-second countdown. I know, from triggering it to test the feature. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is akin to the "if you have nothing to hide, why do you care about privacy" argument.

Stuff happens. To law-abiding Americans. A person might want a way to disable biometrics in case of possible theft, issues entering or exiting our country, or whatever.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
This is akin to the "if you have nothing to hide, why do you care about privacy" argument.

Stuff happens. To law-abiding Americans. A person might want a way to disable biometrics in case of possible theft, issues entering or exiting our country, or whatever.
Actually it's not. All I'm saying is, you have bigger problems if police feel the need to scan your face to force your phone open. I understand and share the concern. And there is a way to disable the biometrics, so Apple clearly also shares that concern.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So you know that swirling colors video that apple uses to advertise the X? Is that available anywhere?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was curious about that animated screen too.

Though I’d bet it’s a battery drain somewhat.
Settings/Wallpaper/Choose New Wallpaper/Choose Live/ then select a wallpaper. When you press on the screen it will animate but only a small amount. Not like the commercial.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks