What's new

iPhone X pre-order and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Are any of you putting on screen protectors for your X? If so, which one? I'm wondering if protectors are still necessary and how they work on a phone with curved edges?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Are any of you putting on screen protectors for your X? If so, which one? I'm wondering if protectors are still necessary and how they work on a phone with curved edges?

I bought a Zagg screen protector. Has been sitting in the box for weeks. I haven't yet had the courage to put it on my X. I really don't want to put a protector on this perfect screen and have its quality diminished.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought I'd explain why my wife and I are upgrading our 6 and 6+ to and 8 and X. My wife's 6's battery is failing and that got me into the mood of researching what it would cost. So I priced out the phones on ATT.

It was going to cost about $61 extra per month for an 8 with 64gb and a X with 256gb. This is on the Next plan paid over 30 months. I didn't want to spend that much so I called ATT and asked if there were any deals.

First we got $15 off DTV monthly for 24 months. Then they had the buy one, get one promotion, but that required a new line and we didn't need that. The agent said do that deal, than after activating the phones cancel one of the old lines. I was assured that ATT allowed this. Of course the free phone is the 8, and there may be a requirement that the free phone can't be better than an 8, though I'm not sure.

So the 8 is free, saving $23 a month for 30 months. And I get the $15 discount on DTV. That adds up to $38 per month, which is the price of the X. So I will be claiming I got a free X, since our monthly expense will only go up $23. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Before I did all this, I ordered the battery replacement kit from ifixit. When that comes, I will replace the battery in my wife's 6 and then look to sell the phones wherever I can get a good price.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I bought a Zagg screen protector. Has been sitting in the box for weeks. I haven't yet had the courage to put it on my X. I really don't want to put a protector on this perfect screen and have its quality diminished.
I've put a protector on every phone I've owned and never felt like it diminished the screen. Don't the new phones have newer, more scratch resistant glass?

Edit: from Apple "
The most durable glass ever in a smartphone, front and back. Surgical‑grade stainless steel. Wireless charging. Water and dust resistance."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
First thing I did was install the Power Support film, yes you can see the edges. But I feel better knowing it has some protection, just in case. Even if it's psychological assurance. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I went "naked" with my 7 Plus and take good care of my phones. That said there was a slight blemish on it when I returned it to Apple (not enough to cost me money for the Apple trade in plan). I've put a Spigen Glas-T on my X. It was about $10 and you get 2 from Amazon. I also bought a Spigen Thin Fit case which I liked, but I also got a good deal on an Apple Leather case so I'm using that right now (I'll likely cycle between both cases as I get bored over time).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
How are you guys dealing with training the battery charging on the iPhone X? What I mean is that in an earlier post, there was talk about how the iPhone 6 battery is dying. And my iPhone 6 battery is not holding a charge very long either. So in looking at ifixit, it said once you install their battery, after charging, let it drain to 10%. This conditions it I think.

So far I’ve not let my iPhone X drain lower then 60% only because at the end of the day, I charge it so it’s full in the morning. So this battery issue got me wondering if I should drain the battery to condition it.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
when I placed the order my our 8 and X, two agents told me both would ship for delivery on the 24th. It turns out only the 8 will arrive tomorrow. Earlier shipping date is the 12/12. I'm a little ticked about that. Will call on Friday to complain about being lied to.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't these people have anything better to do with their lives? :D

Isn't it more a question of how thick a padlock you want to put on your door? "Well, a thicker padlock means it'll take that much longer for the burglar to break through your door." "Yeah. Unless he decides to unscrew the hinges instead."

I guess what I mean is...who's going to steal your iPhone X, make a 3-D mask of your face, and then take infrared images of your eyes? The Green Goblin, maybe?

Or, maybe Jack Bauer would cut off your hand to defeat a fingerprint sensor sometime somewhere.

I think of my mother (who is in her upper '80s). She won't ever enter her credit card number onto her computer (she is very active on her iMac). But doesn't think twice about calling a store and reading her credit card number over the phone to someone or handing it over to a waiter.

We all have such different ideas of what's safe to do in this world and what risks we are willing to take.

But these stories about the geeks who want to defeat the newest phone security tech are amusing to me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Don't these people have anything better to do with their lives? :D

Isn't it more a question of how thick a padlock you want to put on your door? "Well, a thicker padlock means it'll take that much longer for the burglar to break through your door." "Yeah. Unless he decides to unscrew the hinges instead."

I guess what I mean is...who's going to steal your iPhone X, make a 3-D mask of your face, and then take infrared images of your eyes? The Green Goblin, maybe?

Or, maybe Jack Bauer would cut off your hand to defeat a fingerprint sensor sometime somewhere.

I think of my mother (who is in her upper '80s). She won't ever enter her credit card number onto her computer (she is very active on her iMac). But doesn't think twice about calling a store and reading her credit card number over the phone to someone or handing it over to a waiter.

We all have such different ideas of what's safe to do in this world and what risks we are willing to take.

But these stories about the geeks who want to defeat the newest phone security tech are amusing to me.
I agree. This is much ado about very little. No one's going to be interested in my phone enough to go to the effort required to create the mask. Maybe the President's phone, but not the average Joe.

Bkav claims the materials and tools used to create the mask are "casual for anyone" and that Face ID is "not secure enough to be used in business transactions," but it's worth noting that fooling Face ID in this way requires a 3D printer, several hundred dollars worth of materials, physical access to a person's iPhone X, and detailed facial photographs that can be used to reconstruct a person's face. Even then, if the 3D printed mask and the design of the infrared eyes aren't perfect, Face ID will fail after five attempts.

What baloney. "Casual for anyone", really?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Clearly you all never watched Tom Cruise’s first two Mission Impossibles. It is super easy to make lifelike masks. Everyone’s phones are in serious danger! I’m returning my X right now and going back to a BlackBerry.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, tonight I had an unexpected hiccup on my iPhone X. It was working fine all day, I last looked at emails right before dinner. Then later in the evening I lifted it up to edit a note and the screen stayed black. Would not wake up and I tried plugging it into power and still would not wake up.

I did a search and on the Apple site it recommended a restart. I never did that before on the X. The procedure is different from earlier phones pressing the volume up and releasing and then volume down and releasing them pressing and holding the side button until the Apple logo appears. This did the trick. I guess there was a conflict in the phone that locked it up.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Hey guys, tonight I had an unexpected hiccup on my iPhone X. It was working fine all day, I last looked at emails right before dinner. Then later in the evening I lifted it up to edit a note and the screen stayed black. Would not wake up and I tried plugging it into power and still would not wake up.

I did a search and on the Apple site it recommended a restart. I never did that before on the X. The procedure is different from earlier phones pressing the volume up and releasing and then volume down and releasing them pressing and holding the side button until the Apple logo appears. This did the trick. I guess there was a conflict in the phone that locked it up.
That has happened to mine once so far. Another time shortly after I got it, it blacked out but plugging it into the charger brought it right back. Then it blacked out again after a minute and, oddly enough, unplugging it from the charger brought it back again.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I got my X running yesterday. Then I go see my doctor because I've got pneumonia. Not my first visit, since I've had it about a week.

I'm the office and the phone won't recognize my face. So on it's first day of use, I broke face recognition.

Before trying to use the phone, I noticed the doctor was making available face masks for people who thought they need them. I was coughing so I put one on. Hmmm...could that broken face recognition?

Yup it did. Took off the mask and it worked. Didn't want to wear the thing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks