1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone X pre-order and owners thread

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Oct 23, 2017.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    When in doubt, tap to focus.

What model do you have? Maybe the minimum focus has gotten closer in recent models.

Sam Posten likes this.
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I have the X

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Sam Posten and Johnny Angell like this.
  4. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

My iPhone 6 is going on 3 years old. I'm planning to replace it this year. Still undecided on which iPhone to get, but the iPhone X (or its replacement/update next month) is on the list. I'm looking forward to Apple's iOS event in September.

Mark

Sam Posten likes this.
  5. Mark Booth

Supporter

Correction, I realized yesterday that my iPhone 6 is 4 years old. The new iPhone XS is the first iPhone product I've purchased in 4 years. :eek:

Now I've got to find a case for it. By the time it arrives, both of my Mazdas will have Apple CarPlay installed. So there's not really any point in having the phone attached in such a way as it is visible while driving. So, for now, I'm leaning towards Apple's Leather Case.

Anyone have one? If so, how do you like it? Best slim alternative? I don't want a jumbo case.

Mark

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I have the UAG(Urban Armor Gear) for my iPhone X. It provides good shock protection (a requirement for this klutz) and looks good, imho. It's not a slim case but also not an extremely bulky case either.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

FWIW, Mark...I picked up a case made by BodyGuardz for my iPhone 6. And it is relatively sleek but provides reasonable protection around the perimeter. I picked mine up at Best Buy.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Otter box tells me I can’t give my x Statement to a new Xs buyer, tolerances are too tight. So I will have to find a new X buyer to give it to I guess

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    We forgot to have a moment of silence for all the devastated rumors and rumorers that the iPhone X was doing terrible, Apple was canceling it, there would be no X released this year, and Apple was reversing course!

:(

:rolling-smiley:

Clinton McClure likes this.
  11. Mark Booth

Supporter

According to Apple, the iPhone X dimensions are: 5.65" x 2.79" x 0.30" and the iPhone XS dimensions are: 5.65" x 2.79" x 0.30". Looks like the same size to me.

FYI, there is a slight difference in weight. The iPhone X weighs 174 grams while the iPhone XS weighs 177 grams.

Mark

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    What's up with the A12? This year I didn't have a chance to watch any of the announcement, and am following along with the podcasts and blogs. The last two years, there were lots of reports about Apple's exponential CPU sped increases and how they could be five years ahead of the Android phones in performance. This year, nothing. And the one stat I saw was 15% faster than the current A11.

What's happening? Did Apple stumble on their A-series designs? Has Moore's Law ended now for the RISC chips? Or is it again super faster than the previous chip, but no one cares about speeds and feed this year?

13. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I just did a quick skim of an article on CNET about the A12 after seeing your post. I did watch the Keynote live, but I was interrupted a few times as I was at work, so I missed the A12 part!

From what I read, the A11 chip was able to fit many transistors across a 12 nanometer width, the A12 could fit more chips because they were able to miniaturize the transistors further to fit as many transistors within a 7 nanometer width. So Schiller claims twice the power which would benefit functions for graphics and AI. I guess that’s why they said that facial recognition will be faster as one example. The ability to on-the-fly adjust the depth of field for a photo is another process I assume this chip was able to make doable at an acceptable speed. And all this power without a hit to battery life.

I was watching a couple of YouTube videos from bloggers who were at the Steve Jobs theater and were able to handle and use the sample watches and iPhones. One guy said for most, if not all users who have an iPhone X now, wouldn’t benefit mUCD from upgrading as the iPhone X is already very capable. Unless you have to have the new gold color and the larger screen, the iPhone X is still a great phone. I’m sure there’s more articles that are credible to read to help form our opinions.

DaveF likes this.
  14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Glad to hear the opinion that the lX is still a great phone. Got some questions about the new Xs: 1) How can it change depth of field on a photo that’s already been taken? And 2) It has two forward facing cameras, one of which is a telephoto. Apple brags that the two cameras are used to make better photos. How can they combine photos from different focal length cameras?

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
  16. Nelson Au

Hey guys-

I had a surprise this morning. My first gen iPhone X FaceID stopped working. I would look at the phone and it would not unlock, so I had to use the passcode. So I reset the FaceID to rescan my face. But the scan would not work. I didn’t get the round screen, but a full screen with the notices that kept saying hold lower or hold higher. It just would not scan my face.

So I restarted the phone. Then the FaceID set up worked like it did when I first set it up when I got the phone. So this is the first time I redid the FaceID. It’s working fine now. My face didn’t change that much in the last few hours!

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I wonder what would have happened if you had done ctl-alt-del the very first thing? Glad you got it working. I have the same phone, so I file this in my mental notes where it will slip beneath the slime and the mud and never be seen again. :lol::P

18. Nelson Au

Johnny- yeah, I was so surprised that the Face ID stopped working I didn’t think to restart the phone before redoing the Face ID scan. If there is a next time, I’ll restart the phone.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  19. Nelson Au

To follow up, the Face ID has been working fine after the restart yesterday. Last night I installed the latest iOS update and no problems. My world is back to normal. :)

DavidJ and Johnny Angell like this.
  20. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I have noticed that Apple’s Mail app is the leading consumer of my battery in the background. In the last 24 hours it’s over 60%. Over the last 10 days it’s less, but still the number one consumer of my battery. Is there a setting (I haven’t found one) to reduce it’s background usage or do have to remove it from the list of running apps. It’s usually there, but several other apps are also, including FB but it doesn’t consume battery like Mail.

Ideas?