What's new

If the rumors are true, iPhone 5 looks like a DUD! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
Have I ever told anyone who say they actually own the phone and like it that they are crazy or wrong?

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I don't know. Based on your track record of making what [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]seems to be sarcastic and unsupportive comments about [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]someone[/COLOR]'s preference (See posts 202 and 216), not to mention starting

multiple threads calling people "crazy" (and even mentioning my name

in one) makes me very suspiscious about your ability to be objective.

In fact, post #219 is the very first time in awhile that I have seen you

be able to post something objectively and fairly without hurdling sarcasm.

And you know what? I know you better. You aren't that kind of person, Sam.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding your motives, but the way you go about

making a point usually comes across as "I'm right -- you're wrong -- and you

are crazy for arguing with it."

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Sam Posten said:
Do I believe that folks who have a lizard brain desire for bigger phones just because they are bigger or for the ability to tweak or steal apps before they actually own a phone might not be really satisfied with the end results? Absolutely.
Sam, there are a thousand reasons to migrate to Android and its larger screens that have absolutely nothing to do with "stealing apps". You also outright tell people who jailbreak that their sole reason is to pirate apps. This is strident, insulting, and ultimately wrong.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
202 the roflwaffles was over Hanson's reaction, not your choice. Sorry if that was not clear.
216 is consistent with all my previous posts: I genuinely am interested to see if you are long term happy with the device and not just with it in the new toy phase. I really do want to hear your final call with it and if you can make a compelling argument for giving up all your app purchases and accessories etc and if the syncing with your mac is as effortless as you believe.
Pure crazy talk regarding the clamoring of existing iOS users stands as I said it. Show me ANY data that says people are leaving iOS for bigger devices at all. As that survey noted it is something people are interested in, that doesn't equate to jumping ecosystems.
Here's an interesting tidbit: I have never backed up any of my Android devices to anything. If they get wiped I lose all my data. I am ok with this because they are not my primary devices and because my apps are all purchased from Amazon, Sony or Google Play direct. But if it was my main device I'd be more interested in the process, I'd be crushed if I lost some of my iOS data but most of what I care about is backed up both on my own boxes and in the cloud.
Hanson I believe I have been consistent on your charges as well. If you can point out where I have ever denigrated anyone over their choices, with the possible exception of your cargo pants, (hehe) I would apologize profusely.
Rearding Jailbreaking take a look at these lists:
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/11/18/reasons-iphone-4s-jailbreak/
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/100-reasons-to-jailbreak-an-iphone/19488
Significant numbers of those reasons deal with things that are for pirating via emulation, getting around your TOS for tethering and 3g abuses, etc. Not to mention those that significantly worsen your battery life and make your devices less secure.
I'm WITH you on the moral outrage against walled gardens. I have mixed feelings on them myself. But you have to admit that there is a significant downside to those freedoms that negate the force multipliers that exist when you do have a secured ecosystem. And you are seeing the results of that in the Android developer front.
It's tradeoffs. I will take a mostly benignly ruled walled garden over a free for all hot mess any day.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I have a lizard brain desire for a bigger phone! :)
However, the bigger screen is not enough to get me to switch to Google. Not yet at least.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Co-worker has one. I like the physical size of the phone, however I don't prefer Android over iOS.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Nexus 7 is the tablet, you may be thinking of the Galaxy.
I'm saying if you have a compelling need to try Android on a bigger device the Nexus may be the scratch for that itch.
I may be misusing the Lizard Brain analogy btw, Lizard Brain is usually the component that STOPs you from doing things, perhaps the better area is the Limbic, but that doesn't have the nice imagery that the Lizard does!

http://imgreencat.hubpages.com/hub/stopthinkingwithyourlimbicbrain

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea what it meant, was just repeating it :). And I've tried Android, I don't prefer it over iOS. Plus, personally, I'm not a big fan of google.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ronald Epstein said:
I spent hours researching this phone, pouring across Internet forums reading
hundreds of posts from people that had the iPhone and switched to Android.  
Most all the reasons pointed to a tired iOS and small screen factor.  And before
you go ahead and criticize fanboys on websites, realize these are the people,
like me, who take their smartphones very seriously.
This is the very definition of the echo chamber BTW. I just googled the lastest iOS to switcher stories and couldnt come up with a lot of recent results, mostly people talking about the guy at Verge who went to a One X in June. If you have any good articles from switchers who have been raving about their choice I am keen to see them. Most that I have seen end as Verge's does, with a list of compromises and a note that they are happy with their own choice but couldnt make the recommendation to others who didn't share their particular wants and that Rooting was the key to their enthusiasm.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/13/3082261/29-days-with-android
So, what have I learned from all this? First of all, I've learned it's never fair to judge a product until you've used that product for yourself - a lesson I should have learned a couple years ago, after calling the original iPad nothing more than a "giant iPod Touch", only to end up buying (and greatly enjoying) one a couple months later. I knew Android was customizable, but I never really understood the full extent of that until owning one.
I learned that, despite what some people may want you to think, Android has come a long way, and ICS is finally approaching stock iOS-levels of stability and polish. I've also learned that Chris Ziegler was right back in December...if someone asked me what phone to buy, I'd tell them to buy an iPhone, for reasons he explained far more eloquently than I ever could. Of course, if they pressed me, I'd be happy to gush about the One X...but that brings me to my final point.
I've learned that iOS is what Apple wants it to be and Android is, for better or worse, what you make of it. In the last 29 days:
I have rooted my phone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You need to check out both Mac and Android forums
for posts from people who switched to Galaxy or another
Android device because they were tired of iOS or wanted
a larger screen.

That's exactly what I did over the past few days.

If you want me to sit here and send you links, you are
SOL. I don't have the time to do that, but I have given
you an idea of where to start.

Even in this very thread, members have stated that they
want a larger screen on their Apple device.

Can we move on at this point?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The other day, I was watching Wall Street and took note of the big ass cell phone Michael Douglas used in that film as well as that device with the 2" screen he was going nuts about with Charlie Sheen in the restaurant. And here, we are today! Isn't technology great? The evolution of such will never stop.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/210#post_3968520
The other day, I was watching Wall Street and took note of the big ass cell phone Michael Douglas used in that film as well as that device with the 2" screen he was going nuts about with Charlie Sheen in the restaurant. And here, we are today! Isn't technology great? The evolution of such will never stop.

My wife broke out a car bag phone I had back in the day.. complete with a strap so it'd latch onto a car armrest to keep the battery pack from going into the floor when you stop

How things change

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Well Sam, aside from calling everyone who goes to Android an app pirate, there's also this:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/321161/ok-i-jailbroke-what-now#post_3932815

You also have no idea how painful it is for me to set up something on my wife's iPod Touch or a co-worker's iPhone because of the awful, awful keyboard. That's a huge interface that's simply crippled on iOS. I would jailbreak just to get rid of it. Also, a browser that can't do desktop view is garbage to me, Yes, there are non-jailbreak 3rd party browsers, but they can't be the default. How about using a custom launcher? Custom lockscreen? Widgets to toggle just about any setting? Real multi-tasking that allows you to jump between programs and not just playing music while surfing? I use this functionality constantly. I would jailbreak my iPhone in a heartbeat if I were forced to use iOS. And note too that I am not rooted. As I told Ron earlier in this thread, if you need to jailbreak your iPhone for essential functionality, you're using the wrong OS.

And there are backup apps for Android that don't require root (although the rooted one, Titanium Backup, is pretty badass). SMS and Call logs can get backed up as well. I have all my photos syncing to Picasa, and mail and contacts are in the cloud anyway. If you need to back up app settings, there are Windows utilities that can use the native backup programs in ICS and above that allow you to do a true backup. I think this will eventually morph into a complete cloud backup for Android. The one thing iOS has over Android is the ability to not only restore, but to roll back updates. You need root to accomplish that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
9bed03f6_DSC_7724.jpeg

New presumably leaked photos of the iPhone 5 next to the previous generation.
Source: ijailbreak
There is a video on the referenced linked site

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The browser bit is the one that gets me. Here MS got chastised for making things "difficult" for Mozilla on WP8, and now that's been changed and there will be a Mozilla WP8, and there isn't a real 3rd party browser as a native #1 on iOS. That is a big issue. bookmark portability to me is a cool thing I love about Firefox.. I use it everywhere.. I know others are the same with Chrome or whatever.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ron: Regarding size let's say to be continued and move on for now sure. Again I don't know how Apple will handle legacy apps. If it were me I would not allow any kind of scaling factor and just window box them, but we will see. That picture you put up is kinda illusory isn't it? The device LOOKs wider even if it really isn't. Part of why I like black devices over white or colored. Lets the app be the star.
Hanson: I don't understand the hate for the iOS keyboard(s), it works better than the one on Jellybean for me. What exactly don't you like? You know there are about six different keyboards that devs can use for different apps, right? What exactly do you want it to do that it isnt doing now? Swype style? That's not going to happen on iOS so if that is the one and only thing then good luck with your JB or Android.
And all the stuff you listed about fast launchers etc are just more things to break on OS updates IMO. I can get to every one of my apps in under 13 taps and swipes now, max. What more do you need?
Widgets? Battery burners =) I removed em all from my Nexus, not a single one was useful to me. I get that others enjoy them but I'd rather have the battery.
With your backup list do you even hear yourself regarding all the caveats? The iOS backup mechanism, in three steps:
1. Turn on your mac.
2. Connect a cable or wifi
3. There is no step 3
My apps run in background just fine. Not sure what more you need that isn't available right now.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Open Flipboard and load an article. Open Amazing Alex. Go back to Flipboard. Oops, article is gone. Go back to Alex. Oops, back at the load screen. I kind of need that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hanson said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/swiftkey-android-switch-from-iphone-2012-8
What I dislike (other than the tiny keys) is the slow reaction, as it has to make that skeuomorphic typewriter sound between keys. I also hate that you have no idea if the shift key is on since the display is all caps. There are no long press keys for punctuation and numbers, requiring you to go to a secondary screen. And the autocorrection is hilariously, epically awful.
Your opinion is all well and good, but it's not the facts.  3rd party Launchers and lockscreen replacements have zero effect on updates. They sit on top of the OS and do nothing more than allow for custom layouts. There's that word again -- CUSTOM. Oh and by the way, how about one tap to call my wife? I can text my frequent contacts in two taps. Or call my business contacts in two taps. Trust me, this is good stuff. And that's not even with a 3rd party launcher.
Again, you have a very limited and misconstrued idea of what a widget is. A widget isn't just a window with glanceable information. The widgets I use let me toggle wifi on and off, jump into my screen brightness settings, shortcut to my camera in video mode, turn my LED flash into a flashlight, etc. These are all extremely useful. moreso than a live Facebook feed. Plus, the widgets I mentioned do not use any battery.
And I don't know if you know this but.. not everyone has a Mac.
Open Flipboard and load an article. Open Amazing Alex. Go back to Flipboard. Oops, article is gone. Go back to Alex. Oops, back at the load screen. I kind of need that.
The keyboard issue is caused by spotlight and extended characters. Not from the Skeumorphism. There are solutions if you google it. It is almost non existent in iOS5 and 6. It was an issue with older devices but not any longer for anything faster than an iPhone 3g. You can easily disable key sounds too with 2 clicks.
I have no idea what you are talking about regarding all caps. Every key shows in caps or non caps as the shift is held.
you can make a one tap call to your wife by sending her contact to the launcher using an app, no jailbreak required:
http://iphone.appstorm.net/roundups/productivity-roundups/4-innovative-ways-to-dial-a-friend-on-your-iphone/
Regarding app launchers it seems my info is out of date, I know there were issues in the past especially with things like HTC skins and stuff going from rev to rev, good to see this is fixed.
Actually it seems my understanding of widgets is more expansive than yours. Perhaps you don't use the widgets I describe but that doesn't mean that they don't exist and aren't eating your batteries.
Your flipboard example is a memory management issue that would be severely worse if you actually had all those apps in the very limited device memory at one time. I don't think you understand how truly small it is and why the Retina iPad (and hopefully the iPhone 5 or whatever they call it) added breathing room on this front improve things. Again, this is fundamental development issues that come down to tradeoffs: Android lets you muck up your memory as much as you want without care for battery or performance, iOS protects you from yourself while still implementing a damn clever mechanism to allow those things that REALLY need them to operate. Again I don't know what device you are thinking of but on iPhone 4 and Retina iPad I can swap apps all day long without losing my place. Your experience may be out of date.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The last time I held an iPhone 4s, the keyboard displays the letters in all caps. I hit shift and... It's still in all caps. I was typing in a case sensitive password and was unsure if I was in caps or not. There are still no long press alternate characters, a feature I find essential.
When I say one tap to call my wife, I mean the dialer shortcut is on my lockscreen. Very convenient in the car.
And I'm not sure how your idea of widgets is more expensive than mine since you have a narrow view of what widgets are. I explained that widgets are more than just tiles with glanceable information, which is the only thing you seem to be aware of. Are you telling me my wifi toggle is eating my batteries? I am trying to explain that there are active and passive widgets. You only understand the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks