What's new

Hello Dolly (1969) (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Moe Dickstein said:
Bruce, do you think some people could have smooth-motion filters set up on their TVs that could be causing artifacts? If you're not seeing them that's what springs to my mind as a possible culprit.It would also make things look "digital" and fake. So many new TVs ship with that "feature" turned on, and while neat for sports, it makes movies look HORRIBLE.
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? One never knows how people watch these things, but yes, it sounds like it could be player settings - is it clear as a window - yes, as it should be - that was the point of 65mm. I was, frankly, shocked to read these comments - it makes no sense to me on any level. It's like DP70 said - one of the best, if not THE best Todd-AO transfer. For me, it's better than The Sound of Music in every way. Or maybe I'm just nuts. If Fox is reading this thread, don't be depressed - at least a few of us know how good this is. :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
John Skoda said:
I noticed some brief weirdness in the main titles sequence. The shot with Jerry Herman's credit (which is mostly a shot of water) has a lot of noise, as does a subsequent shot with water. Also there's a yellow haze behind the letters of the credits in some spots.But I agree that the Harmonia Gardens sequence is astonishing. Above all, I just glad this disc isn't a disaster. I confess that somehow I was afraid it would be.
The yellow haze behind the letters has always been there. The shots you speak of in the main titles have always looked like that because the titles are one long optical and it's not noise, it's a result of the optical and has nothing to do with this exemplary transfer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree: superior to The Sound of Music transfer for sure. It had very inconsistent skin tones: sometimes skin so brown you'd swear the actors were wearing greasepaint. I'd have to look at South Pacific and Chitty to see how they might match up.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Matt Hough said:
I agree: superior to The Sound of Music transfer for sure. It had very inconsistent skin tones: sometimes skin so brown you'd swear the actors were wearing greasepaint. I'd have to look at South Pacific and Chitty to see how they might match up.
Yes, the skin tones are great. I was so relieved to see that this Dolly transfer did not have what 'Sound of Music' did in skin tones and hair. In some scenes in "The Sound of Music" it looked like Julie dipped her head in some orange paint. The skin and hair look quite natural and lovely in this "Hello, Dolly" blu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
haineshisway said:
So, the reviews, which used to show up with all the other threads, are now somewhere else? How does one find them?
Look at the top of the page and you'll see both DVD and Blu-ray Reviews and a Forum Navigation box. Either one will drop down a table of contents to go to the review part of the site.

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
Moe Dickstein said:
Bruce, do you think some people could have smooth-motion filters set up on their TVs that could be causing artifacts? If you're not seeing them that's what springs to my mind as a possible culprit.It would also make things look "digital" and fake. So many new TVs ship with that "feature" turned on, and while neat for sports, it makes movies look HORRIBLE.
haineshisway said:
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? One never knows how people watch these things, but yes, it sounds like it could be player settings - is it clear as a window - yes, as it should be - that was the point of 65mm. I was, frankly, shocked to read these comments - it makes no sense to me on any level. It's like DP70 said - one of the best, if not THE best Todd-AO transfer. For me, it's better than The Sound of Music in every way. Or maybe I'm just nuts. If Fox is reading this thread, don't be depressed - at least a few of us know how good this is. :)
I'm watching this on a professionally calibrated Sony KDL-60EX500 TV using a Sony BPD-S350 Blu-ray player. I have all of Sony’s MotionFlow & CineMotion filters turned off, as I can’t stand the "soap opera effect." I just turned those filters on to their lowest possible setting and then re-watched the scene where the camera pans across the buildings from the end of “Elegance” to the beginning of “Love Is Only Love.” This seems to have rectified the severe judder I had been seeing in the words that are painted on the side of one building, as well as a few other areas during that pan. Luckily, even with these filters on their low setting, the movie still maintains a film-like appearance. :)

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
haineshisway said:
Excuse me- the sky AND the Hudson are both WHITE! Explain please.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The bass notes on TSOM blu are amazing. The organ in the wedding scene, etc.Here we have a reed thin parade which was absolutely BOOMING in the theater.Remember friends, this won the Oscar for sound.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
noel aguirre said:
Excuse me- the sky AND the Hudson are both WHITE! Explain please.
Only they aren't. So, excuse ME - but go directly to the first shot of Vandegelder's store and tell me if the sky is not blazingly blue. If it isn't, you're either colorblind or something is amiss with your television. :) You can also look at the opening sequence and you will see alternating shots - some with deep blue skies, some with white-ish skies. I'm looking outside right now - guess what color the sky is? White with cloud cover. Please report back after the shot of Vandegelder's - you can't make a case having watched one scene.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have read the posts and went back and looked at my copy and I see blue skies and white cloudy skies. The Hudson River looks blue and watery. I also see cloudy haze during the opening title long shots. I see a transfer that looks like film. IMHO. I think this is an excellent transfer and is right up there with SOUTH PACIFIC. Now if Fox will show the same care with OKLAHOMA!, THE KING AND I, DOCTOR DOLITTLE and STAR! I would be a happy person.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
ahollis said:
I have read the posts and went back and looked at my copy and I see blue skies and white cloudy skies. The Hudson River looks blue and watery. I also see cloudy haze during the opening title long shots. I see a transfer that looks like film. IMHO.I think this is an excellent transfer and is right up there with SOUTH PACIFIC. Now if Fox will show the same care with OKLAHOMA!, THE KING AND I, DOCTOR DOLITTLE and STAR! I would be a happy person.
Thank you - I was beginning to doubt my sanity. The fellow who is doing this will not even look at the shots with blue skies - if there are blue skies his argument falls to pieces. I have explained to him ad nauseum about cloud cover but he's convinced it's all incorrect - of course you can't have all those other gorgeous and perfect colors and not have the sky color be accurate :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Stunning transfer to Blu! Sound and image are a HUGE improvement over the DVD. HUGE!

One of the best releases of the year as far as I'm concerned! I can't wait to show it on the 110" screen of the Booth Bijou Garage Theater!

Mark

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Just finished watching this tonight and was very pleased with the transfer.Deep blacks, vibrant colors,and very sharp. The sound was to my ears very robust with good bass. One thought--did anyone feel the brightness level couid of been turned down a notch?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
DOLLY looks fantastic, the 1969 short documentary special feature also looks like it has been restored as well .

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic detail and textures - could not resist to take a peek before watching it in full!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
As i said in my earlier post you would be impressed with this transfer, it is one the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks