What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) 60th Anniversary (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Here's hoping the regular Blu-ray is taken from the 4K scan and shows an improvement in picture quality. I await the reviews, thanks!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's hoping the regular Blu-ray is taken from the 4K scan and shows an improvement in picture quality.
Universal previously did that for Back to the Future when the trilogy was released in 4K. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they will do the same here. But they have before.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Here's hoping the regular Blu-ray is taken from the 4K scan and shows an improvement in picture quality. I await the reviews, thanks!
I could swear the release info says 1080i
1662201522449.png

which would mean it was done for HD-DVD "The Look and Sound of Perfect" about 10 years ago.

But I'm sure that's an error and it will likely be the 2012 50th anniversary disc - perhaps re-authored to remove the ancient 10 year old technology that does exist ...
1662201344387.png

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Highly unlikely Uni will do anything to remaster and stabilize the image quality of all those magnificent extra features, some dating all the way back to the original 'signature' laserdisc releases from the late 1980's.

Image quality here is atrocious - period. And while not everything can be fixed, there is quite a lot to be done to improve the video quality of these extras. But again, Uni, as with most of the majors, consider extras a 'necessary evil' to be dumped into every release. At least they haven't gone the Paramount or Disney route, shoring subsequent video releases of extras either never to be seen again, or only found on 'digital plus' outlets online.

As for To Kill A Mockingbird itself - what one hopes to achieve here in 4K is marginal. Optical zooms will likely gain an uptick in amplified grain (which isn't a plus) while the rest of the image was already given the once over with a fine tooth for its standard Blu-ray re-re-issue from some years earlier. If Uni really wants to impress, they ought to go back to some of their Paramount holdings, like The Man Who Knew Too Much and offer us ground-up digital restorations, and leave the re-re-re-re-re-issues alone.

Finally, yes, the advertising says 1080i for the standard Blu. I can only pray that's a type-o as if Uni is starting to dumb down their standard Blu's to force everyone to retool in 4K it's a shabby marketing decision and another sign of forced obsolescence taking over the home video market. Not saying that's what they're doing. Not yet, anyway.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Tonight I watched on Vudu one of the best films I’ve ever seen. Yes I spent a worth it $14.95 to watch To Kill a Mockingbird in 4K HDR.
The 4K is magnificent in every way. It was like seeing it for the first time.
I look forward to the 4K disc.

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Ken. Great to hear! but I'm surprised Vudu bumped it to 4K before the official release date. iTunes has done that several times only to have to claw back the 4K until the proper date.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Ken. Great to hear! but I'm surprised Vudu bumped it to 4K before the official release date. iTunes has done that several times only to have to claw back the 4K until the proper date.
Perhaps, but 3 out of 4 Universal Horror Classics have already upgraded on iTunes and their release date is next Tuesday too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tonight I watched on Vudu one of the best films I’ve ever seen. Yes I spent a worth it $14.95 to watch To Kill a Mockingbird in 4K HDR.
The 4K is magnificent in every way. It was like seeing it for the first time.
I look forward to the 4K disc.
I have to agree with you as I just watched the first 15 minutes of iTunes 4K digital and it looks beautiful on my OLED. I had to stop myself as my 4K disc finally arrives tomorrow. A great film! It scared the crap out of me back in 1962, when I was a young lad.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
After the rave review from RAH in the other thread, I placed an order for this movie from the HTF link on the first post on this thread. Although I've really appreciated this movie for many years, and even saw it theatrically about ten years ago, I've never owned it on blu-ray before.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Highly unlikely Uni will do anything to remaster and stabilize the image quality of all those magnificent extra features, some dating all the way back to the original 'signature' laserdisc releases from the late 1980's.

Image quality here is atrocious - period. And while not everything can be fixed, there is quite a lot to be done to improve the video quality of these extras. But again, Uni, as with most of the majors, consider extras a 'necessary evil' to be dumped into every release. At least they haven't gone the Paramount or Disney route, shoring subsequent video releases of extras either never to be seen again, or only found on 'digital plus' outlets online.

As for To Kill A Mockingbird itself - what one hopes to achieve here in 4K is marginal. Optical zooms will likely gain an uptick in amplified grain (which isn't a plus) while the rest of the image was already given the once over with a fine tooth for its standard Blu-ray re-re-issue from some years earlier. If Uni really wants to impress, they ought to go back to some of their Paramount holdings, like The Man Who Knew Too Much and offer us ground-up digital restorations, and leave the re-re-re-re-re-issues alone.

Finally, yes, the advertising says 1080i for the standard Blu. I can only pray that's a type-o as if Uni is starting to dumb down their standard Blu's to force everyone to retool in 4K it's a shabby marketing decision and another sign of forced obsolescence taking over the home video market. Not saying that's what they're doing. Not yet, anyway.
At the very least (as with other Universal UHDs) the extras will probably be at the correct frame rate as opposed to the blu's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks