What's new

Hello Dolly (1969) (2 Viewers)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Has Fox ever released any "classic" or "catalog" titles on 4K UHD yet? Since Hello Dolly was a flop, I would imagine Fox giving 4K/UHD attention if at all to their popular "catalog" titles: The King And I, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, The Sound Of Music, 9 To 5, Towering Inferno, Poseidon Adventure, Young Frankenstein, The Omen, Oklahoma!, French Connection etc.
Nonetheless, "Hello, Dolly!" was recognized with 7 Oscar nominations; including Best Picture and - ideal for 4K/UHD - Best Cinematography, Best Score and winner for Best Sound. Albeit, there are many other worthy candidates; but the 70mm "Hello, Dolly!" may very well prove itself by being on the short list as an eye-popping and audible home theater experience. Maybe a financial flop in 1969, but I'm not hearing anything about it being a flop when it arrived on BD. Otherwise, it should be "The Sound of Music" for starters, as it remains a clear-cut no-brainer that would sell and compliment the format; although I would prefer to see "Oklahoma!" first.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You can see Jimmie Thompson in the ensemble of many MGM musicals of the 1940s and 1950s until his breakout "Beautiful Girl" in Singin' in the Rain and later turns in Brigadoon and Forbidden Planet.

Reactions: PMF

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
MGM (yes I know Dolly was a Fox film) was a great one for recycling costumes to background actresses after the leading lady wore them. I can't recall the MGM film I saw recently but there was a background actress wearing the blue evening gown Nanette Fabray wore during the finale of The Band Wagon and one of the lovelies in Queen Of Outer Space is wearing one of Anne Francis's old cast offs from Forbidden Planet. There have been other instances but those two came off the top of my head.
If my memory is correct, Jean Hagen wore one of Norma Shearer's "Marie Antoinette" gowns in "Singin' in the Rain."

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Referencing that R&H Blu-ray set from what 2014, does anyone believe that the films requiring color correction would get the necessary treatments for a UHD Blu release?

Apparently the grading / color timing of The King and I is already different for the 4k DCP so they could work from that for the UHD release.

Reactions: PMF

Christopher Radko

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Radko
Just letting everyone know we've got a Hello, Dolly! festival going on this summer (2018) in Garrison and the Hudson Highlands. It celebrates the 50th anniversary of the filming of Hello, Dolly! in the Hudson Highlands. There's an exhibit about the film at the Putnam History Museum in Cold Spring featuring props, costumes, rare documents and photos, and a brilliant compendium book you can acquire from the Musuem. 20 events all together over 6 months. For more info: www.HelloAgainDolly.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks