What's new

TCM/Fathom 2019 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Mostly anniversary showings except Lawrence of Arabia and The Godfather Part II

IN THEATERS JAN 27, JAN 29, JAN 30

Presented by TCM

The Wizard of Oz 80th Anniversary
A young Kansas farm girl who dreams of a land "somewhere over the rainbow." Her dream comes true when she, her dog, Toto, and her family's house are transported by a tornado to a bright and magical world unlike anything she has seen before.

IN THEATERS FEB 17, FEB 20

TCM Big Screen Classics Presents

My Fair Lady
My Fair Lady is now more "loverly" than ever as a result of a breathtaking recent restoration in honor of its 50th Anniversary, this eight-time OSCAR winning musical (including Best Picture, Best Director & Best Actor).

IN THEATERS MAR 24, MAR 27

To Kill A Mockingbird
Experience one of the most significant milestones in film history like never before with To Kill a Mockingbird. Gregory Peck stars as courageous Southern lawyer Atticus Finch - the Academy Award®-winning performance hailed by the American Film Institute as the Greatest Movie Hero of All Time.

IN THEATERS APR 14, APR 17

Ben-Hur 60th Anniversary
Experience the visual splendor, thundering action and towering drama of this record-setting winner of 11 Academy Awards®. Charlton Heston brings a muscular physical and moral presence to this Best Actor Oscar®-winning role of the heroic odyssey of Judah Ben-Hur, a Palestinian Jewish nobleman.

IN THEATERS MAY 5, MAY 8

True Grit 50th Anniversary
Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the classic Western in which legendary movie star John Wayne gives his most iconic performance as Rooster Cogburn, a drunken, uncouth and totally fearless one-eyed U.S. Marshall hired by a headstrong young girl (Kim Darby) to find the man who murdered her father.

IN THEATERS MAY 19, MAY 21, MAY 22

Steel Magnolias
Six icons of the silver screen - Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis and Julia Roberts - come together as bosom buddies in this hilarious and heartwarming story of life, love and loss in a small Louisiana parish.

IN THEATERS JUN 16, JUN 18

Field of Dreams
  • "If you build it, he will come." With these words, Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) is inspired by a voice he can't ignore to pursue a dream he can hardly believe. Supported by his wife Annie, Ray begins the quest by turning his ordinary cornfield into a place where dreams can come true.

IN THEATERS JUL 21, JUL 24

Glory
The heart-stopping story of the first black regiment to fight for the North in the Civil War, GLORY stars Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes and Morgan Freeman.

IN THEATERS AUG 11, AUG 14

Hello, Dolly! 50th Anniversary
Dolly Levi uses her matchmaking skills in New York City to orchestrate the love lives of her friends, all the while trying to get the man she likes to fall for her.

IN THEATERS SEP 1, SEP 4

Lawrence of Arabia
Winner of 7 Academy Awards® including Best Picture of 1962, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA stands as one of the most timeless motion picture masterpieces. Hailed as the greatest achievement of its legendary, Oscar®-winning director, David Lean, and the career-making performance - Peter O'Toole as T.E. Lawrence.

IN THEATERS SEP 22, SEP 24, SEP 25

The Shawshank Redemption 25th Anniversary
From best-selling author Stephen King comes a poignant tale of the human spirit. Red, serving a life sentence, and Andy, a mild-mannered banker wrongly convicted of murder, forge an unlikely bond that will span more than twenty years. Together they discover hope as the ultimate means of survival.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
CITY OR ZIP CODE

IN THEATERS OCT 13, OCT 15, OCT 16

Alien 40th Anniversary
Directed by Ridley Scott, the original sci-fi classic follows Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) investigating a suspected SOS on a remote planet and makes a terrifying discovery.

IN THEATERS NOV 10, NOV 12, NOV 13

The Godfather Part II
In what is undeniably one of the best sequels ever made, Francis Ford Coppola continues his epic Godfather trilogy with this saga of two generations of power within the Corleone family.

IN THEATERS DEC 1, DEC 3

Presented by TCM

When Harry Met Sally... 30th Anniversary (1989)
Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) and Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) meet when they share a car on a trip from Chicago to New York. As the two build their lives and careers in Manhattan, their paths continue to cross... until they confront the decision whether to let their friendship develop into romance.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Both of my local theaters showing The Wizard of OZ on Sunday have reserved seating so I just checked how they are doing. They are both doing very brisk sales with the majority of available seats being in the first couple of rows. I think I will go to the 5pm screening where there are more seats available.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Both of my local theaters showing The Wizard of OZ on Sunday have reserved seating so I just checked how they are doing. They are both doing very brisk sales with the majority of available seats being in the first couple of rows. I think I will go to the 5pm screening where there are more seats available.
Both of my local showings are pretty much sold out too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you @Wayne_j and @Tino for reporting the potential sellout-level of your screenings for Oz. My local Cinemark is not reserved seating, but none of the TCM films that I've attended here over the past few years have ever gotten even close to sold out before, so I didn't really consider that this one should be any different. But following your reports, I called them and they said that tomorrow's 2pm screening is already "very full." So to be safe, I bought my ticket online this afternoon.

My theater is doing this at regular ticket price of $7.88 for the matinee (versus pricing it as a Fathom Event, which would have been $13.59.) I'm not sure why this is the case, but I'm not complaining. Last year, they seemed to flip-flop on how they handled these TCM showings; Sunset Boulevard was normal price, but West Side Story a month later was Fathom-priced. Obviously, I'm much happier not paying inflated prices to see old movies I have on Blu-ray. The AMC here (which I don't like) is also showing it tomorrow but they are charging Fathom prices.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My theater is doing this at regular ticket price of $7.88 for the matinee (versus pricing it as a Fathom Event, which would have been $13.59.) I'm not sure why this is the case, but I'm not complaining.
Most likely to encourage families to attend, rather than just classic film lovers. I'm not sure many people would be wiling to spend nearly $14 per ticket to take their kids.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from the 5pm screening. The stadium section of seating was about 3/4 full. 1 person was sitting in the area below the stadium seating. Presentation was about as good as you could expect in a multiplex as there probably aren't any multiplexes that can mask for 1.37:1. Tickets were the Fathom usual $12.50. Same price as the 2pm showing that was nearly sold out.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wizard Of Oz is showing Tuesday and Wednesday night too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
there probably aren't any multiplexes that can mask for 1.37:1.

Does your multiplex mask anything For the past few years, my Cinemark just letterboxes anything that isn't 1.85:1. It's annoying, but I'm not going to stop going there. The Wizard of Oz was pillarboxed, as I expected it to be, and it was wonderful to see it on a big screen with an audience. The stadium seating above me appeared to be almost full, and there were people in front of me in the first few rows. More people came in all throughout the first section in Kansas. It was a great crowd, everybody was into it, and it got a huge round of applause at the end.

But I noticed something in it that I haven't noticed before. The inciting incident of the movie is that Miss Gultch wants to have Toto put to sleep and has a note from the authorities permitting her to take him to his death. The reason that Dorothy runs away in the first place is to protect Toto. At the end of the movie, when she wakes up at home after Oz, she's happy to be back, but no one ever mentions Miss Gultch again. Although she is happy to be home, there's no resolution to the issue of Toto's safety. Unless Dorothy gets absurdly lucky and Gultch dies in the tornado, for all we know, she's going to come back after him five minutes after the movie ends. Since this issue is the inciting incident, it's kind of weird that the movie doesn't tie that up at the end. Of course, it's still a great movie, and it took me I don't know how many years of rewatches to notice this, but that is still a big thread to leave dangling.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The multiplex I went to has 1.85 screens and usually drops the image to the bottom of the screen and lowers a curtain to mask for scope. The other big multiplex in my area has 2.39 screens and has side maskings for 1.85 films. In this case I went with the multiplex with the 1.85 screens because the image size would be bigger for The Wizard of Oz.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Interesting. My arthouse masks everything properly, but my Cinemark has 1.85:1 screens and never does, and they don't get the same films. So my choice is to go to the Cinemark and see 2.35:1 films letterboxed or not see them at all.

The pre-show listings of the other Fathom titles for this year did indicate The Godfather Part II as 45th Anniversary.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On Facebook, Fathom says, "Due to popular demand, two additional encore dates have been added to The Wizard of Oz 80th Anniversary cinema event. Grab your ruby slippers and get to the cinemas February 3 and 5!"

Honestly, this seems like a title that WB could have put out into general re-release for a week without Fathom and done decent numbers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Box Office Mojo is now reporting grosses on Fathom Events titles. Therefore, we know that The Wizard of Oz made $1.2 million on Sunday from 408 theaters

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wizardofoz80thanniversary.htm

Considering it only played twice here (and presumably similarly around the country), that's a nice chunk of change. But of course, pricing is more of a variable here than with other titles, because in some markets the Fathom price is substantially higher than the cost of a normal ticket. (As I noted before, my Cinemark priced it as a regular matinee, but the AMC here priced it at $13.59/ticket, which is way high for here.) So, as a result of the larger-than-normal discrepancy in ticket cost at various places, it's hard to tell how many people actually saw it. But if they can get $1.2 million out of it in one day with nominal marketing costs, I'm sure Fathom and Warner are both delighted.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Anybody going to today's showing of My Fair Lady? I will probably go on Wednesday as it is only playing at 1PM today.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anybody going to today's showing of My Fair Lady?

I might have if I had been free, but I was seeing the Broadway tour of Aladdin at that time, and it wasn't even a contest as to which one of those was more important. I also have a time conflict with the weekend showing of To Kill a Mockingbird so won't be doing that one either.

It doesn't appear that MFL is generating as much excitement as The Wizard of Oz did.

At my local AMC (which I never go to anymore, but they have reserved seating so you can look online and see how many seats are sold), the Wednesday evening show of MFL only has six seats sold at this point. The 3pm show has 14 tickets sold, which is better, but not close to full as The Wizard of Oz was.

The Cinemark which I go to doesn't have reserved seating, blessedly, so I can't see what their sales numbers are like, but when I went to Wizard of Oz it was very full.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Gone with the Wind has been added to the Fathom lineup. 80th anniversary celebration (should have been in December 2019).

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks