What's new

Criterion Press Release: The War of the Worlds (1953) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I was really excited about the physical release until I realized that it's not a 4K release. I bought the digital 4K version out of desparation, but have always held out hope that Paramount would eventually have a physical 4K release. I just get the feeling that the blu-ray release would be a step down from that. I will wait for the reviews, and If the general feeling is that it is about the same, I will buy the blu-ray.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would agree, except that the Criterion will not include the commentaries by Gene Barry / Ann Robinson, nor the new one recorded by Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw. I might spring for both, because I am a commentary fiend.
My DVD has two commentaries but the Newman & Forshaw isn’t one of them. Is it a good commentary and what release is it on?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
He plays the priest giving the sermon in the damaged church around 77 minutes into the picture. Here's his IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0573005/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Wow indeed. That's an incredible number of great films, directors, and actors he worked with.
That head shot made me do a double take and make sure he wasn't Ronald Reagan's brother

I know there were lot of people who appeared in huge numbers of bad movies, but that's a massively impressive list of great film -- must be 2 dozen+ full blown classics in that list plus a bunch of Classic TV shows

I have no idea if you ever heard him list/rank the most beautiful actresses he ever worked with, but I'd love to hear some gossip.
Just a quick list I could see -- Ann Sheridan, Gene Tierney, Barbara Eden, Katharine Hepburn, Cyd Charisse, Donna Reed, Marilyn Monroe, Shirley Jones, Patti Page, Susan Hayward, Susan Oliver, Yvonne Craig, Anita Ekberg, Natalie Wood, Veronica Lake

The Directors and Leading Actors are at least as impressive
Howard Hawks, several Hitchcock. Brando, Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, Boris Karloff,. My head got dizzy and I had to stop counting

I went back to the list a couple more times and just keep finding stuff -- damn that's impressive regardless of how big a part he played. He's the Lawrence Olivier of background Policeman/Army/Supporting Supporting Actor

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My DVD has two commentaries but the Newman & Forshaw isn’t one of them. Is it a good commentary and what release is it on?

You have the same DVD I have. The Imprint Blu has both of those commentaries, plus adds a new one with Kim Newman and someone else, which I've not heard, as the Blu-ray isn't due for release until 5/27. and then lord knows how long before delivery can be made. The Criterion Blu will only feature one commentary from the DVD -- the one with Joe Dante and Co.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Wow indeed. That's an incredible number of great films, directors, and actors he worked with.
That head shot made me do a double take and make sure he wasn't Ronald Reagan's brother

I know there were lot of people who appeared in huge numbers of bad movies, but that's a massively impressive list of great film -- must be 2 dozen+ full blown classics in that list plus a bunch of Classic TV shows

I have no idea if you ever heard him list/rank the most beautiful actresses he ever worked with, but I'd love to hear some gossip.
Just a quick list I could see -- Ann Sheridan, Gene Tierney, Barbara Eden, Katharine Hepburn, Cyd Charisse, Donna Reed, Marilyn Monroe, Shirley Jones, Patti Page, Susan Hayward, Susan Oliver, Yvonne Craig, Anita Ekberg, Natalie Wood, Veronica Lake

The Directors and Leading Actors are at least as impressive
Howard Hawks, several Hitchcock. Brando, Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, Boris Karloff,. My head got dizzy and I had to stop counting

I went back to the list a couple more times and just keep finding stuff -- damn that's impressive regardless of how big a part he played. He's the Lawrence Olivier of background Policeman/Army/Supporting Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, he died when my dad was only 11, so I never got the chance to meet him. That's why I treasure his filmography so much - even with his fleeting appearances in the assorted films help me know him at least a little better. He's also a big reason why I love classic movies so much. I mean, how can I see him here with Cary Grant and Ann Sheridan and not be impressed?

1949 - I Was a Male War Bride.PNG

The only Hollywood-specific story my dad remembers was that he hated Ernest Borgnine for whatever reason. Beyond that, most of my old man's stories are just family-related things.

And, before I get this slightly derailed thread back on track, here's some screenshots from my top-10 of his movies for those that want to spot him:

Attachments

• 1950 - Storm Warning.PNG
    1950 - Storm Warning.PNG
    478.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 1950 - When Willie Comes Marching Home.PNG
    1950 - When Willie Comes Marching Home.PNG
    540.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 1951 - Strangers on a Train.PNG
    1951 - Strangers on a Train.PNG
    550.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 1951 - The Day the Earth Stood Still.PNG
    1951 - The Day the Earth Stood Still.PNG
    422.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 1953 - The War of the Worlds.PNG
    1953 - The War of the Worlds.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 157
  • 1956 - Bus Stop.PNG
    1956 - Bus Stop.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • 1957 - Operation Mad Ball.PNG
    1957 - Operation Mad Ball.PNG
    669.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 1957 - The Spirit of St. Louis.PNG
    1957 - The Spirit of St. Louis.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • 1959 - The Young Philadelphians.PNG
    1959 - The Young Philadelphians.PNG
    705.6 KB · Views: 122

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I preordered the Australian WOTW and Waterloo thru DeepDiscount so we shall see when i get it and it is showing a June 5th release.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's a bitter winter afternoon here and I have a fire blazing in my combustion heater and am watching the Imprint War of the Worlds.
Two interesting things I've noted .... the narrator is Sir Cedric Hardwicke, who has such a great voice, and has given to us on LP and CD the absolute definitive narration for Prokofiev's 'Peter and the Wolf'.
And astronomical paintings are by the hugely talented Chesley Bonestell, who I have in several publications, including covers of my favourite science fiction magazine 'Astounding' .. I have a complete set from approx 1945 which I still dip into. It later changed its name to 'Analog' in a bid to seem more mature.
Now back to the marauding Martians .....

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
A quick almost instantaneous correction ... Hardwicke wasn't the voice I thought of for 'Peter and the Wolf'. That was the equally lustrous Australian actor Cyril Ritchard. It was the similarity of Cedric and Cyril that snagged this ageing brain. Anyway, they're both wonderful actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks