What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: War of the Worlds (1953) (4k UHD) / When Worlds Collide (1951) (Blu-ray) Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Going back in time would be great!
Just don't ask for a Pepsi Free
1664160464673.png

(unless its the mid 1980s) ;)!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
With respect, I don’t think it’s as simple as “Paramount doesn’t want to spend the money to correct the disc.”

They released this 4K digital master in 2018 and the color has been incorrect and in public view for four years now. They have declined to correct it at any point over the past four years.

I don’t think this is a money issue.

I think this is an issue of, they believe they are correct. It doesn’t matter if they are not correct, or if we believe they are not correct, because they believe the version they have is correct. And since they believe it to be correct, they will not change it.

I think it’s as simple as that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
With respect, I don’t think it’s as simple as “Paramount doesn’t want to spend the money to correct the disc.”

They released this 4K digital master in 2018 and the color has been incorrect and in public view for four years now. They have declined to correct it at any point over the past four years.

I think this is an issue of, they believe they are correct. It doesn’t matter if they are not correct, or if we believe they are not correct, because they believe the version they have is correct. And since they believe it to be correct, they will not change it.

I agree, Josh. It's obvious that whoever it is at Paramount signing off on their growing number of flawed releases doesn't know what in the heck they're doing. It really is unfortunate.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
To quote Bulldog from Frasier, This sticks!

The QC people must not be qualified or are given incorrect information.

Miss Kalas is doubling down again with the IB Technicolor print as reference. If only we can know this is what the film looked like in 1953. Perhaps Mars really was this blue and someone in the 1980’s made it red for home video releases?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
To quote Bulldog from Frasier, This sticks!

The QC people must not be qualified or are given incorrect information.

Miss Kalas is doubling down again with the IB Technicolor print as reference. If only we can know this is what the film looked like in 1953. Perhaps Mars really was this blue and someone in the 1980’s made it red for home video releases?
Mars has been known as "The Red Planet," and has been notable to us humans because of its reddish color, for a L-O-N-G time, and was described as such even in 1953. Heck, the very voiceover at the beginning of the movie intones, "Its rocks have absorbed almost all oxygen from its air, turning them red."

There's no way the filmmakers would intentionally give it a predominantly blue color during the opening sequence. Paramount screwed up.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Apparently the color of Mars can vary in photos depending on the angle, light source, and equipment. There are some pics of the planet that do appear almost more blue than red/orange:

1664217715030.png

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Since they refused to fix what was wrong with The Godfather Parts I and II, we should have expected this response.

Once again, thank god I have the Criterion.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Apparently the color of Mars can vary in photos depending on the angle, light source, and equipment. There are some pics of the planet that do appear almost more blue than red/orange:

View attachment 155198
None of those photos existed in 1953, and in any case, only one of them is slightly bluish because it's enhanced to show atmospheric detail.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Since they refused to fix what was wrong with The Godfather Parts I and II, we should have expected this response.

Once again, thank god I have the Criterion.
So Criterion had their Summertime Paramount bascially doing the same -- we are right you are wrong. Wish someone had a original print that would set us all right!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That presumes every original print is exactly the same, which has never been the case with prints. There were good original prints and not so good original prints. It’s entirely possible the studio has a not so good original print.

I think there’s ample reason to presume that the red planet is meant to be red. Without going on a limb, I think one would be safe in accepting that the Criterion disc (which presents Mars as red) is correct.

The issue at hand isn’t really whether or not Paramount is objectively correct. They almost certainly are not. The issue at hand is that Paramount *believes* they are correct. They have been selling this version of the film for four years now. They believe they are right.

If you worked on a project and believed you were correct, you would be unlikely to change your mind either.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
It doesn't matter what color the planet is, the only relevant issue is what color it was intended to be on Technicolor dye-transfer prints in 1953. The only way we could be reasonably certain of that today would be by referring to surviving archival or vault prints that had been signed off as being correct back then. I don't know if any original-release prints might still exist out in the wild, so to speak, but a survey of as many of those as possible would be better than nothing, I suppose, if conducted by people who knew what they were doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks