What's new

Criterion Press Release: The War of the Worlds (1953) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
So is this how it appeared theatrically?

I've only seen it theatrically as a child back in the 1960's, so my memory is a bit foggy. I haven't seen the iTunes 4K transfer either. The Amazon 4K streaming version is pretty, but has compression artifacts, and Mars has a pale bluish cast. Mars appeared reddish on my VHS, laserdisc, DVD, and last I looked, through my 110x telescope. Just a wild guess, but if Criterion thinks that Mars color should be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, I would wholeheartedly agree with their assessment.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I finally was able to watch the Criterion disc last night. It looks great! And the extras are great too regarding the restoration and the brightness levels corrected.

And I thought I'd update my earlier post of screen caps of Mars:

1993 laserdisc
WotW LD 1993.png

1999 DVD
WotW DVD 1999.png

2018 iTunes
WotW iTunes.jpg

2020 Criterion blu ray
WotW Mars 2020 blu ray.jpg

And finally, there was a post that Alan (Carabimero) had made on the War of the Worlds fully restored 4K thread in which he was dissatisfied about some banding issues he saw in one scene. (IIRC what he said) I happened to notice it too on this blu ray in the same shot. It maybe be hard to see in the screen cap, but in the sky, I could see banding as it went from light to dark. I viewed this on a plasma display.
WotW Battlefield 2020 blu ray.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks