Dan_Shane

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Shane
A quick almost instantaneous correction ... Hardwicke wasn't the voice I thought of for 'Peter and the Wolf'. That was the equally lustrous Australian actor Cyril Ritchard. It was the similarity of Cedric and Cyril that snagged this ageing brain. Anyway, they're both wonderful actors.
I have Ritchard's unabridged reading of ALICE IN WONDERLAND on a boxed LP set. His distinctive voice is perfect for those classics.

Reactions: AnthonyClarke

Reed Grele

Patron
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've had the new Australian Blu-ray for a while now. Very pleased with it. Haven't had time to listen to the commentaries, but the transfer looks identical to the 4K that Amazon is streaming.

Unfortunately, Amazon's 4K streaming has some scenes with black crush. These scenes play fine on the 1080p Australian BD.

I have the Criterion on pre-order. It will be interesting to compare to see if they did any color timing adjustments.

The 5.1 surround, while I understand is not faithful to the original foley, sounds spectacular! I especially like how the black and white world war footage during the opening credits plays in mono, then when the title appears in color, the sound stage blasts forth with the 5.1 mix!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just did a pre-order on Amazon for the Criterion War of the Worlds. However, I’m surprised the estimated delivery date is July 27th. I don’t think Amazon and Criterion are feuding over anything, so I’m not sure what the delay is. Maybe this is CYA in case shipping is delayed due to Covid. Or they are low on stock. Or maybe next week they will send an updated message telling me it shipped.

David Norman

Premium
I'm going to suggest waiting to place the order anyway. If the Criterion BN sale starts Friday as expected, Amazon should drop the price to 19.99. Since it won't be considered a preorder by then, even if they partially PM like they have in recent sales they won't be obligated to meet that new price (they might if it hasn't shipped, but you never know).

Since they'll feel the need to add B&N shipping costs the best they'll probably do is 22.99 or 23.99 anyway, but seems to be an easy $5 esp if they aren't going to deliver for a week or 3

Or if you have a few items to order, it might be better to wait and order from B&N with FS ($35+) and an even better price -- or or store pickup if your area is safe for a visit or curbside pickup

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi David, I was going to check when the Barnes and Noble sale started. Part of me is thinking with Covid 19, I’ve been sheltering and avoiding going to the stores, even for curbside pickup. So a small price hit by going with Amazon was worth it to me. I normally go to B&N in person during each sale to hand pick each title. But this year, I said forget.

I do have other items in my Amazon order, but they made the WotW Criterion blu ray a separate shipping item. So I could consider cancelling it. Or if it really is delayed a week or more, maybe it would be a delightful bonus to get price match with the Barnes and Noble price. Maybe I’ll sit on the order for now and see what happens?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... I ordered my copy from Target during the recent B2G1 sale for a final cost of $20.24 (that includes tax and shipping). It's shipped and scheduled to be delivered Wednesday.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Howie! Your post reminded me to have a look at the Best Buy app. They have it shipping on time and arriving on the 9th If I order today. Hmmmmm. A few alternatives now.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Target currently shows it "Ships by release date Tue, July 7th" and free standard shipping with a Redcard (I do not have one but can always find a few things to get to their $35 free shipping minimum).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got a surprise email. Amazon updated the shipping time and the Criterion WotW blu ray will ship earlier and arrive on the 9th. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextminute14