What's new

Criterion Press Release: The War of the Worlds (1953) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Wonder how that new 5.1 mix is going to turn out since they don't have complete music stems and it doesn't appear that the surviving tracks were recorded in stereo in the first place.

It’s been available on the streaming version for a couple of years. Other than one or two sections where the sound effects are too loud for my taste, it’s a pretty good listen as an alternate to the original mono.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Pre-ordered!

I really love George Pal’s films. I have them all on DVD (and The Time Machine on blu). His films give me a special feeling.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just an FYI, preorders are not enabled yet at that link:

upload_2020-4-16_6-29-19.png

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You're correct Peter. Criterion hasn't jumped into the 4K UHD disc pond yet, so I'm not at all surprised this is a 1080p release. Also, even though there's a 4K master available, it would seem to me a strange choice for their first 4K UHD disc. Roma would have been a better title to debut in this format, IMO.

But, for those seeking this out in 4K, the 4K Dolby Vision streaming version on iTunes looks fabulous and goes on sale occasionally for $4.99. Why not have the best of both, um, worlds. ;)

I have a 65" OLED and the seating in my small venue is quite close to the screen, but with only three or four exceptions that I have seen (the first two HARRY POTTER films, and BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI), Blu-ray is more than satisfactory. I could see this being helpful if one had a large home theater and was projecting from a fair distance, but even then, you lose those priceless velvet blacks, which until these displays became available had not been seen since the days of nitrate prints and literal silver screens..

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Fantastic news. I’m glad I didn’t try to jump on the Australian release. Much prefer a Criterion Release.

I would agree, except that the Criterion will not include the commentaries by Gene Barry / Ann Robinson, nor the new one recorded by Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw. I might spring for both, because I am a commentary fiend.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I pre-ordered from Criterion but I sure hope that price comes down a little. I'm hurting bad but I got to have this!

The price will be $20.00 if Barnes and Noble continues in the tradition of having Criterion sales in July and November, Even if their stores are not physically open, it might be offered online.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I figure one of you guys can answer this- the Mercury Theater program from 1938, narrated by Welles- was this the program that some mistook for a news broadcast, and there was a panic over this?

If you can find it, check out a t.v. movie called THE NIGHT THAT PANICKED AMERICA, which is a thoughtful and largely accurate depiction of this infamous broadcast.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have a 65" OLED and the seating in my small venue is quite close to the screen, but with only three or four exceptions that I have seen (the first two HARRY POTTER films, and BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI), Blu-ray is more than satisfactory. I could see this being helpful if one had a large home theater and was projecting from a fair distance, but even then, you lose those priceless velvet blacks, which until these displays became available had not been seen since the days of nitrate prints and literal silver screens..

Different strokes and personal preferences. It depends on the source of course, but in my experience most 4K titles look noticeably better than their 1080p counterparts on my 65" 4K LG OLED, sometimes amazingly so. And remember, it's not JUST increased resolution. Wider color gamut and HDR/Dolby Vision also need to be considered.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Different strokes and personal preferences. It depends on the source of course, but in my experience most 4K titles look noticeably better than their 1080p counterparts on my 65" 4K LG OLED, sometimes amazingly so. And remember, it's not JUST increased resolution. Wider color gamut and HDR/Dolby Vision also need to be considered.
I have the same experience with my LG OLED displays.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
madman.com.au specifies the AR as 1.66:1 widescreen. Criterion lists as 1.37. Is Madman in error, or are these two separate and differently formatted masters?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
madman.com.au specifies the AR as 1.66:1 widescreen. Criterion lists as 1.37. Is Madman in error, or are these two separate and differently formatted masters?
Although the film was screened theatrically at 1.66, it was never composed for that ratio so the Criterion should be more accurate.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Wonder how that new 5.1 mix is going to turn out since they don't have complete music stems and it doesn't appear that the surviving tracks were recorded in stereo in the first place.

It was released in 3-channel stereo. Maybe they can do what the 3D Film Archive does restoring mono to three channel.

War1.jpg

war2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks