John Sparks

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The Criterion disc...Especially Mars being the correct color at the beginning.

The one thing I found fascinating was when they said that the wires were not visible through out the film until the end. If you go frame by frame ( I did this on the CAV LD) , you'll see that the telephone pole snaps before the saucer hits it.

The saucer comes to a halt, all the wires that hold it up come crashing down...along with the telephone wires...which you don't see that get mixed up with the guy wires that are holding up the saucer...classic!

It was a sight to behold in my home theater on a 110" screen...just like at the movies!

Reed Grele

Screenwriter
Supporter
Real Name
Reed Grele
The Criterion WOTW BD is now in hand. Mars is red. Technicolor image is the best I've ever seen it. And I've owned nearly every version on home video (including 4K streaming) since the 80's. This is the one that will blow you away!

The extras are very informative. The recently produced documentary supplements which show how the restoration was accomplished are particularly well done and interesting.

I had recently purchased the Australian import, which also has some very good extras included. But after watching both, the Criterion will be my choice for viewing this classic film for the foreseeable future.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
You guys are killing me! I had hoped my copy would have arrived this week. Hopfully it will arrive next week!

Reed, your input comparing the Criterion to the Australian import is good information. I was considering the Australian When Worlds Collide. I’m hoping for a Region A When Worlds Collide release. Though I’m sure its chances are far less. I do have the iTunes version. I have not watched that yet.

I’ll be looking forward to a viewing of the 1953 War of the Worlds and then a viewing of the new blu ray of the 2005 Tom Cruise Steven Spielberg version afterwards.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Osato, I wasn’t sure if that thread explained the lack of a 4K version either. I re-read it and the best I can deduce is there could be a 4K version of WotW in Europe. And Paramount works with Universal to distribute the discs there, but not in the US.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
You are both missing my sarcasm. The link confirms a UHD release inm Europe. And my comment simply refers to Criterion continuing to ignore any move into UHD format. Ditto the Canal Elephant Man released in UHD outside the US market, but once again in a Paramount lock up Criterion goes with a standard Blu Ray for American markets. Why would you bother. Now their deal with Netflix has them releasing 4K originals of Netflix titles like Marriage Story and Roma in 1080p only, with Buster Scragge hinted to be coming next year. In doing this IMO they are cruelling any chance of UHD releases down the road.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Thanks David for the clarity. Sarcasm isn’t one of my strengths. Well, one could import the disc from Europe. ;)

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Well David Norman, looks like your theory proved out to be true for my delayed delivery of The War of the Worlds. Today I got an email from Amazon that they‘ve refunded me $5 so the disc costs me $22.97 now. As you predicted. Matching B&N pricing. Plus it appears to be ahead of scheduLe for delivery tomorrow. But I won’t believe it until I have the disc in my hands.

Reactions: ahollis

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
I will admit I am a little surprised that refunded the $5 without a fight since the price dropped after the end of release date. Not shocked that they half price matched, but at least a reasonable alternative given the delayed shipping.

ahollis

Lead Actor
Premium
Real Name
Allen
Finally arrived today along with, in separate packages, African Screams and Hair. I’m a happy camper with these titles to watch now the we have closed Louisiana down again.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
My copy arrived late yesterday. I’ll save it for this weekend.

Yes David, it is a delightful bonus to have the $5.00 refund. :)

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I will admit I am a little surprised that refunded the $5 without a fight since the price dropped after the end of release date. Not shocked that they half price matched, but at least a reasonable alternative given the delayed shipping.
I've had them match a dropped price after release date if the item hasn't yet shipped when the price drop occurs.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
I've had them match a dropped price after release date if the item hasn't yet shipped when the price drop occurs.
I've seen it in the past, but several people in the last year or two have had big issues with them not correcting the price.
I ended up returning an item for that reason 6 months ago -- preorder was a few days late shipping, the price dropped on Friday, the item ended Processing Saturday/shipped Monday. They wouldn't credit me the $5 so I returned the item to them and bought at BBY which was the store that had the lower price. That may be the last item I attempted to preorder at Amazon and one of the few over the last few years. Amazon has basically become my store of last resort for movies

I had put War of the Worlds in as an order online/ISPU a couple days ago with the idea I'd go to the store for one last shopping trip for the Tuesday new releases and pick up the remaining 4-5 items on my list plus place ship to home orders for the 2 preorders coming out next week. Woke up today and decided I didn't want to take any chances, didn't want to drive 50 miles to the store esp since a couple of the items I wanted weren't at Store 1 and I'd have to go to the second store 20 miles away which is a Mall Anchor store. I figured I call the store and ask if they would ship to me or I'd cancel it so someone could buy it.

No problem shipping direct from store and I ended up adding Bruce Lee to the shipment since it's sold out online again. Even better, my 10% member applied to the Bruce Lee set AND they let me use a GC over the phone which they don't always do. All the other items I want are available online now, so I forego the 10% member discount and sit at home plus save the 100 (or 130)+ mile round trip which probably just about breaks even in cost

marcco00

Second Unit
Real Name
marc
i don't have itunes i only can compare to the dvd , but what is immediately apparent is that

the colors are darker and richer, the 'war machines' look better than ever, and this new audio

mix rocks!

90 minutes of solid entertainment!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkMcough