What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wish they'd release number of tickets sold rather than dollar amounts. Movie ticket prices have gone up significantly in many areas since TFA opened in 2015, and the same gross now would mean a smaller number of tickets by default.

When I saw TFA in IMAX 3D, the ticket price was $21. It was $27 for Infinity War.
I don't know how you guys in NYC Metro afford those prices.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way can we talk about the Box Office stuff in that other thread and use this thread to talk about the film in detail due to spoilers?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert - Since that increase, by going to significantly fewer movies.

I used to go to every IMAX Thursday night preview whether I was dying to see the film or just moderately interesting. Now, I just go to a select few.

It's probably not a coincidence that I started writing threads here surveying the complete Cary Grant filmography and then over a hundred blind buys since that price hike. I'm watching as many movies as I ever have, but at home.

I'm being "trained" by these prices to only see movies in theaters where there's a built in guarantee that I'll like it - like Infinity War.

This is a film that was essential for big screen viewing.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
No, if only because that would not be a spoiler for infinity War. The whole reason we don't know it yet is because it addresses the end of this film. Personally, I think that's a mistake, because later on, when the films coexist as library titles, people coming to it for the first time should be able to see it without the ending of 3 being automatically spoiled by the title of 4. I actually like your suggestion because it's vague enough to not give away 3,but I think if it was that, Marvel would already have released that information.

You're right...in which case half the Sovereign are dead too...so why would they still care about some batteries Rocket stole 4 years ago? It seems like Thanos murdering half of their population is a bigger slight toward their people than batteries being stolen, but if Adam Warlock won't be let out of his cocoon until Vol. 3, that's a bit of a hurdle for James Gunn to sidestep.

I doubt that Infinity War changed his plans, because he had to know what Infinity War was going to do with them before he signed on for Vol. 3.

I thought the same thing, but I really wish the movie had clarified this. I'm also not sure where they could have gone if they did escape.

I doubt this, since they had Spider-Man disappear and we already know he's got a standalone sequel coming. They'll just bring T'Challa back the same way they do Peter Parker, and he'll be ready for Black Panther 2 by the time Ryan Coogler is ready to make it.

I think something like “Endgame” would be somewhat spoliery for Infinity War, since it would tell people that the events of the movie they are about to see (IW) won’t come to a full “ending” until the next movie. It would be similar to calling it IW: Part One and IW: Part Two. Depends on how you interpret previous comments about the nature of the tile.

Plus, Feige recently said: “I’ve said before, it’s gotten entirely out of hand. And now will have no chance to living up to any expectations of what it’s gonna be. And it sort of backfired, if I’m honest with you, because the notion was to not talk about it so the focus was to be on [Infinity War].”

So I’m not sure how much of a big reveal it will be. It could be, but it could also be something that is spoilery in only the broadest sense.

Regarding the Sovereign, I think their vendetta against the Guardians goes beyond the theft of the “Harbulary” batteries. It’s more about the insult, not the batteries themselves. And then further insult was added by the loss of their fleet in pursuit of the Guardians. This is was a direct personal insult. I don’t think anyone in the universe (with possibly a few “Celestial” exceptions) would have any idea why half of the population disappeared or who/what was responsible. And it will likely be undone anyway, so it wouldn’t have much if any impact on what the Sovereign are up to in Vol. 3.

Last edited:

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Not sure how I feel about this one. I took my 13 yo son who is a huge Marvel fan. When the credits came up, he said angrily, "Well that was garbage, I'm done with the Avengers." I know they must have a game plan but that was a pretty big cliffhanger.

I told him when they're dealing with time travel/alternate realities, anything goes and anything can be reversed.However, all this has been done before in other movies/books that it's an old trope at this point.

Most in the theater seemed disappointed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

That's interesting, because there was no disappointment in my theater about the ending. People were excited and stunned and curious and would have gladly sat there for another three hours if Part 2 were available to watch now, but I don't think anyone was pissed. If anything, there was a little annoyance from some people that there wasn't a mid-credits tag before the end one, but I don't think anybody was mad enough to not come back next year.

It's like when Dead Man's Chest ended with Jack Sparrow being killed, only bigger. You know they're going to find a way to reverse this, but that doesn't mean it wasn't stunning, and "How are they going to do that?" is almost as compelling a question as if the death could have stuck.

By the way can we talk about the Box Office stuff in that other thread and use this thread to talk about the film in detail due to spoilers?

Sure, I just lost track of which one I was replying to when I put my box office post in this one.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I doubt this, since they had Spider-Man disappear and we already know he's got a standalone sequel coming. They'll just bring T'Challa back the same way they do Peter Parker, and he'll be ready for Black Panther 2 by the time Ryan Coogler is ready to make it.
I just meant they would have featured T'Challa more prominently in Avengers 4. Presumably it will take a good chunk of the movie, if not the bulk of the movie, to bring back some/all of the 50 percent that got wiped out. So Black Panther likely won't play a big role in the first half of Avengers 4.

On that front, it's less of a problem with Spider-Man because he got quite a bit of screen time in Infinity War.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think something like “Endgame” would be somewhat spoliery for Infinity War, since it would tell people that the events of the movie they are about to see (IW) won’t come to a full “ending” until the next movie.

I think most people knew that, but, sure. Good points regarding the Sovereign as well.

I just meant they would have featured T'Challa more prominently in Avengers 4. Presumably it will take a good chunk of the movie, if not the bulk of the movie, to bring back some/all of the 50 percent that got wiped out. So Black Panther likely won't play a big role in the first half of Avengers 4.

Good point. At least, I suspect maybe that his supporting cast may be involved, since they'll want to get their king back if at all possible. (Also, counting his apparent "death" in his own movie, this is now the second time he has fake-died.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Not sure how I feel about this one. I took my 13 yo son who is a huge Marvel fan. When the credits came up, he said angrily, "Well that was garbage, I'm done with the Avengers." I know they must have a game plan but that was a pretty big cliffhanger.

I told him when they're dealing with time travel/alternate realities, anything goes and anything can be reversed.However, all this has been done before in other movies/books that it's an old trope at this point.

It’s that kind of reaction to this type of ending that I think would have been mitigated if they hadn’t shied away from promoting it as Part One of Two. It’s a fantastic ending, but not one that’ll necessarily go down well for many in the general audience. At least not if they don’t have the “safety net” of knowing that it is basically the first chapter of a two chapter story.

While it’s on a different level, I imagine there were similar responses to movies like The Fellowship of the Ring and The Empire Strikes Back.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

TBH, people should have expected this film to be a big cliff hanger and on a down note. What did they think was going to happen with this being the first of two parts?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s that kind of reaction to this type of ending that I think would have been mitigated if they hadn’t shied away from promoting it as Part One of Two. It’s a fantastic ending, but not one that’ll necessarily go down well for many in the general audience. At least not if they don’t have the “safety net” of knowing that it is basically the first chapter of a two chapter story.

While it’s on a different level, I imagine there were similar responses to movies like The Fellowship of the Ring and The Empire Strikes Back.
This!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What did they think was going to happen with this being the first of two parts?

Technically, Marvel did not label this "Part 1." I suppose if you don't follow these things and don't know that there is another one next year, it could throw people through a loop. They've always taken three years between prior Avengers installments, not one (unless you count Civil War, which I contend is an Avengers film under Captain America's name.) But I think most people who are up on the MCU probably know more is coming...maybe just general audiences didn't? Like I said, disappointment for this reason was not a problem for my audience.

Edit to acknowledge that Sean beat me to saying pretty much the same thing while I was typing this post.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think most people knew that, but, sure.

You might be surprised. I think a good portion of viewers who aren’t wild about the ending are those that weren’t viewing this with a solid understanding that this is a Part one of two and were like “what kind of ending is that?!” Knowing that the story wouldn’t be resolved and that there would likely be a huge defeat or setback here to overcome in the next one would probably lead to more casual viewers being accepting of an ending of this sort. But I also think they ultimately wanted a good degree of this type of reaction, which is why they tried to not draw attention to the Part one of two aspect. After all, based on what happened in this story the normal reaction would be frustration and anger. No one likes to lose. And our team lost big.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There was only 3 other people in my screening so I couldn't get a read on a 'crowd' reaction. Although one guy was laughing out loud at alot of the jokes so he must have dug it. I found it odd that they all left before the post credit sequence though. The Marvel movies have trained people to stay until the end of blockbusters (I saw The Last Jedi a billion times and nearly every time, other folks stayed through the credits even though Star Wars movies never have a post credit scene) but it splitsville at the end of this one for everyone else.

Am I the only one who wants to say "Don't go yet- there's a scene after the credits!" when you see people leaving a Marvel movie? :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There was only 3 other people in my screening so I couldn't get a read on a 'crowd' reaction. Although one guy was laughing out loud at alot of the jokes so he must have dug it. I found it odd that they all left before the post credit sequence though. The Marvel movies have trained people to stay until the end of blockbusters (I saw The Last Jedi a billion times and nearly every time, other folks stayed through the credits even though Star Wars movies never have a post credit scene) but it splitsville at the end of this one for everyone else.

Am I the only one who wants to say "Don't go yet- there's a scene after the credits!" when you see people leaving a Marvel movie? :)
Every time, but I think some people need to take a bathroom break or something.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
There was mostly a stunned silence during the credits in my showing, but an excited buzz when people were leaving, admittedly this was a midnight showing so probably hardcore fans aware of the film to come next year. I wonder if in time they will look back and think they should have gone with part 1 & part 2. I was discussing with my nephew what the title for the next one could be and we didn't really come up with anything, but I quite like Avengers: Endgame. I also don't mind Avengers: Heroes Reborn or just Avengers: Reborn. I wonder at what point we will learn the title, I would be happy waiting until the first trailer hits.

I thought there was a line from Thor about losing half of his people, so I would assume some escaped or were allowed to leave.

Very much looking forward to a second watch.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Ah, see, we didn't know it was part one of two. I didn't see any of that in the promo materials I had seen. And I didn't do any pre-research because I didn't want to spoiler myself. (Although to be honest I shouldn't have to.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Question that just occurred to me: how is it that Thor know that Thanos decimated Xandar a week ago, but the Guardians (who protected Xandar from Ronan previously) don't know this until he tells them? Since this picks up immediately after Ragnaok, a week ago, Thor would have been on Sakar, and then watching Hela destroy Asgard. I suppose Thanos could have gloated about it when aboard the Asgardian ship, but it does seem a little bizarre for the Guardians not to have found this out already.

I thought there was a line from Thor about losing half of his people, so I would assume some escaped or were allowed to leave.

This is very possible, but because they picked up literally at the end of the last Thor film, I really do wish they had shown more of Thanos vs. the Asgardians so we're clearer on whether or not the characters we met in Ragnarok survived.

Ah, see, we didn't know it was part one of two. I didn't see any of that in the promo materials I had seen.

You wouldn't have, because Marvel decided not to label this Part 1 and Part 2. However, Avengers 4 has been announced and on the release calendar for a few years now for May 2019, so I think they are making the assumption as a studio that the fans know there is more to come. As others in here have already stated, if you consider Thanos as the main character, then it is a complete story because he accomplishes his end goal. It's only a cliffhanger if you're on the side opposing him.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ah, see, we didn't know it was part one of two. I didn't see any of that in the promo materials I had seen. And I didn't do any pre-research because I didn't want to spoiler myself. (Although to be honest I shouldn't have to.)

Yeah, it’s understandable with the way they chose to not promote it in that way. Like I said, I think they must have almost wanted a good portion of the audience to be totally surprised and upset by what happened and to not know what to make of it, because they really wanted this to be a more unique “experience”. Which is why I think they don’t want to announce the title of Avengers 4 yet, becaus that title is likely to suggest that Infinity War isn’t the end of the story.

When you think about it, it will kinda be one of those things that years later people can look back on and say “Remember when the Avengers failed and half of them died? I didn’t see that coming and I couldn’t believe they did that. I was so upset.” Though that is a reaction that would be limited to people who aren’t familiar with the source material and/or haven’t been following the behind the scenes development of the movies closely, which is still a significant portion of the audience. Sometimes temporary unpleasant experiences make interesting and memorable moments as long there is ultimately a positive and satisfactory resolution, and I believe that is what they are going for with trying to make this an unexpected ending for the general audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks