What's new

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS ALLOWED THREAD (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Right, I was still in high school. for some reason I thought it was after college. I still have those issues in a giant trunk in my closet.

It's a disappointing that the Hulk scene from the re-release didn't make its way to the home release. I assume it's because the re-release was after the home releases were finalized. Maybe we'll have to wait for the Disney Plus launch in November before we can see them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There was something different about Thor after the 5 year time jump. Maybe it was the hair.
Right, but that was after two stand-alone films and two Avengers films, in which the character was well-established for movie-goers. My point is that in her first two films, newly-introduced character Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers has a different appearance in each which can be rather confusing for those not familiar with the character from the comics. When she appeared in Endgame, I didn't even realize who she was at first as she didn't look like the character I'd seen in the CM trailers/posters. I had to think back to prior discussions in this forum to recall that Danvers had a cameo in Endgame.

So we'll have to wait with anticipation to see what different hair she has in CM2. :P

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
So are the phase 4 movies going to take place in the current year+5 timeline that endgame established? I'm assuming so, but it's a bit weird since nearly every movie so far has taken place in the year it was released, but now they're all going to be 5 years ahead of time.

Well, only 4 years ahead now.

And I think that yes, it is likely that most new MCU films will be set after Endgame, like Far From Home. Something like The Eternals is likely to span a long period of time in some way, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see something (movie or Disney+ series) that explores the five years between Infinity War and Endgame. But I think most regular movies will be a bit ahead for a while, and over time they may release several movies over a few years which all set around the same time, which would shrink the gap.

Edited to add:

Black Widow is set before Infinity War
The Eternals may possibly span eons

Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange and Thor be out in 2021, so at that point it is only 2 years away from 2023. I’d expect Spider-Man 3 to be out that year as well, but it seems like that one should be set soon after Far From Home (2023 or 2024)

Guardians 3 is likely out in 2022, and the “year” in those has never really been relevant to the Earth-based MCU stories.

Black Panther 2 is likely out in 2023 or 2024. I think that could go either way. Maybe it’ll be set soon after Endgame (to deal with the return of the King after 5 years), maybe it’ll be contemporary, or maybe both.

Bottom line is that I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’d expect Spider-Man 3 to be out that year as well, but it seems like that one should be set soon after Far From Home (2023 or 2024)

I think it's pretty clear that Far From Home is set in 2024. They said in it that it has been 8 months since everyone came back to life. Also, the class trip is supposed to be at the end of the school year, so that would probably be May or June 2024, depending on how long Peter's school is in session. I do think that the nature of the ending basically requires an immediate pickup from there. If they don't devote time to showing the immediate fallout from that,, I will be extremely disappointed. So at least the opening of Spider-Man 3 will probably take place beginning in summer 2024.

I agree it is likely going to be released in 2021, but couldn't be announced by Marvel at Comic-Con because that's a Sony movie. Marvel's three current 2021 releases are February, May and November, so there's a gap where they would normally have a July title, and I would be shocked if Spider-Man 3 does anything other than slide into the same early July slot the others in the MCU Spider-Man franchise have both successfully used. I'm sure Disney leaving that date unclaimed was deliberate to "give" it to Sony for Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought it was worth bumping this thread to post this good interview with Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. It's really, really good.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It would also support the Russos' version, in which his whole life with Peggy took place in an alternate universe on a splinter timeline that diverged from the main MCU timeline upon his arrival in 1947. He lived a whole life in the splinter timeline, maybe had kids with Peggy, then jumped from 2016 in the splinter timeline back to 2023 in the main timeline after Peggy passed away.

He looks more like a man in his late seventies or early eighties than a man of 106. But given the super soldier enhancements, he probably ages more slowly than a normal man. He could foreseeably live to 130 or 140.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Interesting bit about the timing of Cap's post-Endgame life:

Cap’s Post-Endgame Timeline With Peggy Revealed

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/09/11/ca...aoKLw3OBQR-Pw3CZy-fNgsmNDtftGGHxoN790vKjQzcEY

It does change the assumed return time of 1945 a bit, but I think that makes it more dramatic. Too bad we couldn't have seen the look on Peggy's face when Steve arrived.

That article is just chock full of speculation and fuzzy math.

A VFX video says that the Cap old-age makeup makes him look 106, but there is some random seven year time-jump involved.

Why 1947?
Why not 1954 - no time jump and Peggy just playing an old record while someone drove a 40’s era car around the neighborhood?
Or 1949 no random time jump - Cap was blip’d

Just a lot of assumptions in that article

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Interesting bit about the timing of Cap's post-Endgame life:

Cap’s Post-Endgame Timeline With Peggy Revealed

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/09/11/ca...aoKLw3OBQR-Pw3CZy-fNgsmNDtftGGHxoN790vKjQzcEY

It does change the assumed return time of 1945 a bit, but I think that makes it more dramatic. Too bad we couldn't have seen the look on Peggy's face when Steve arrived.

This is based on the statement of a VFX person. The directors and writers don’t even agree on if Steve always went back and lived secretly through the main MCU timeline or if he went back to and lived through and alternate timeline. The movie and the Russos say alternate timeline, so that’s what I think as well. The point being that this is a “complex” thing they did with Rogers and the age here is just something said by a VFX person that seems to be forgetting about some relevant stuff.

The 106 years old thing is off. He’s older than that. Depending on how you look at it, he is roughly 117 or 183 (depending on if you count “ice time” or not). The VFX person is just subtracting his birth year (1918) year from the year he gives Sam the shield (2023). But we know the character lived through many of those years twice.

I’m trying to find it, but I’m 99% certain I heard either one of the Russos or one of the writers say he was about 120 in that scene. And that makes much more sense.

Steve was born in 1918. He went into the ice in 1945 at the age of 27 and was thawed out in 2011 (maybe 2012, but let’s just go with 2011). So if you don’t count the roughly 66 years the ice preserved him he’s still 27 when he’s unfrozen in 2011 (and 93 if you count the ice years).

Endgame is 2023, 12 years after Cap came out of the ice. So, Captain America is 39 years old before he leaves to return the stones via the time machine (Or 93+12=105 if you count the ice).

Agent Carter took place in 1946 and 1947. Since the Russos say Steve going back creates an alternate timeline then he could have gone back to the year he left, 1945. The events of Agent Carter being part of the Prime timeline would no longer have taken place in this new timeline. Then 39 year old Steve lives another 78 years and is 117 when he crosses back over and gives Sam the Shield.

If Steve went back to 1947 (so that Agent Carter “happened” either way) then he’s 115 in 2023. So this age quote by the VXF person is missing about a decade, give or take. In order for him to be only 105-106 in 2023 he would have had to go back to Peggy in the mid 1950’s, which doesn’t make any sense for Steve to do that.

Plus as I said, I’m pretty sure the directors or writers have commented on him being about 120. Need to dig a bit to try to find that.

Edited to add: Adam’s point is a good one too. The age would make more sense if he jumped to the Prime 2023 timeline after Peggy dies in the alternate 2016, skipping about a decade of aging. However that assumes her death was at about the same time and age in both timelines. Certainly possible, probably likely if a natural death, but not a 100% given.

But again, the writers and directors keep giving us two very different takes on what really happened with Steve’s life in the past (alternate reality or predestination loop). Both parties either legitimately have very different interpretations of this aspect of the story or they are purposefully keeping the question going because they and Feige think this is a story that can be explored in the future and they don’t want it answered now. That being the case, I just don’t see it being officially worked out to the point that a VFX person would know that he was 106 instead of 117 because he jumped from the alternate timeline around 2016 to the Prime timeline in 2023 after Peggy’s death. I think the age she quoted here is just incorrect.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Have you seen this? An outtake from 2008's Iron Man, in which Nick Fury references "gamma accidents, radioactive bug bits and assorted mutants." The MCU could have been very different.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/0...VfLJQBQC_Fm2tByAUwkJ_xlGS4oZAqTdmAKfNCiniTGWU

Yes! Feige was laying the groundwork already, though it appeared only Hulk could be included in a future Avengers film (at that time). And while Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are "mutants", they're not referred to as such.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Has anyone heard a voice say "I have telepathy" about 14:25 into Endgame right before Thor summons Stormbreaker which flies past Captain Marvel? People swear that they hear that. I personally hear something along the lines of "mumble mumble epathy".

I vaguely remember discussions similar to this about something Officer Crupke might have said in West Side Story.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't hear it. It sounds like there's some vague sound effects, but that's it.

I do know this alleged line is not in the script, so if there is a line in there, it was an improv or late addition or something. But I'm not hearing it.

Disney posted the script for awards consideration. As written, this scene reads:

BRUCE BANNER
If we do this...why would it end any differently than it did before?

CAROL DANVERS
Because before you didn’t have me.

RHODEY
Hey, new girl. All of us in here are about that superhero life. Where’ve you been all this time?

CAROL DANVERS
There’s a lot of people in the universe. And they didn’t all have you.

THOR STANDS. He crosses to Carol and holds out his hand. STORMBREAKER WHIPS PAST HER HEAD, RUFFLING HER HAIR.

Carol doesn’t flinch. Thor smiles.

THOR
I like this one.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but Kevin Feige was a guest voice this week on the Simpsons, playing "Chinnos," the main villain of the "Vindicators" movies. Also in the episode are executives from "Marble Studios." I found it a hilarious episode about the spoiler-filled world we all live in now. The episode is called "Bart The Bad Guy" (S31E14).

FWIW, The Simpsons has been on a roll this season. The last episode - about cryptocurrency - was a riot.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but Kevin Feige was a guest voice this week on the Simpsons, playing "Chinnos," the main villain of the "Vindicators" movies. Also in the episode are executives from "Marble Studios." I found it a hilarious episode about the spoiler-filled world we all live in now. The episode is called "Bart The Bad Guy" (S31E14).

FWIW, The Simpsons has been on a roll this season. The last episode - about cryptocurrency - was a riot.
The Russo brothers and Cobie Smulders also provided voices

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks