What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
(Presumably, unless the heroes stop him first, he's eventually going to target the Sovereign as well, since he wants to wipe out half of the entire universe and has done this to other planets besides Earth before.)
No need. He got half the universe with his finger snap at the end of Infinity War.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I would be very surprised if they didn't move the release date up. It was nice to get the feeling of getting the films over here a week earlier than in the US, but it is better being able to discuss the film with everyone having seen it at the same time. No putting our release back a week though!

It took me a bit to pick up on the red skull, I was thinking "who is this?" and then it hit me. Cool how they answered that phase one question and you wonder if he might have a further role to play.

There were so many great character moments for such a huge event film. I thought Wanda and Vision played out superbly and I loved the emotional scene between Rocket and Thor. They had a joke in there with Quill comparing his suffering to Thor's, but you think about the history for a lot of these characters and they would each be seen as tragic.

The two biggest hell yeah moments for me were Cap turning up in Edinburgh to help Vision and Wanda, (shout out for the "we will deep fry your kebab" sign, got to love the Scots) and Thor's arrival in Wakanda. It was nice to see Thor have a meatier role in this one. I think the ones who I would have liked more time with were Cap, Black Panther and Black Widow. Amazing job of balancing the time spent and coming up with the great combinations of characters working together. It must be a herculean task, but the payoff you get with these people you have grown to know and care for is really something else.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I believe Dr Strange put a mystic whammy on the Time Stone before he gave it to Thanos. That will result in some kind of time reset, which may be why the production photos of A4 show the team at the Battle of New York.

I really hope Gamora isn’t dead.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
There were so many great character moments for such a huge event film. I thought Wanda and Vision played out superbly and I loved the emotional scene between Rocket and Thor. They had a joke in there with Quill comparing his suffering to Thor's, but you think about the history for a lot of these characters and they would each be seen as tragic.

Yes, the scene between Thor and Rocket was very good. Great performance from Hemsworth.

So many great moments it’s hard to remember them all. I need a second viewing. Unfortunately that won’t be until next weekend.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I believe Dr Strange put a mystic whammy on the Time Stone before he gave it to Thanos. That will result in some kind of time reset, which may be why the production photos of A4 show the team at the Battle of New York.

I really hope Gamora isn’t dead.

It’s quite possible he did something. Those set photos from A4 certainly make one think there may be something going on with “time” in the next one.

I also hope Gamora can be saved. Everyone who vanished from Thanos’ finger snap will likely be brought back. Those that died prior to that are much more likely to stay dead. My hope with Gamora is that since her death was Soul Stone related there is more cosmic wiggle room with her fate.

While I do believe Gunn gives honest info, I couldn’t blame him for putting stuff out there to try to help audiences be surprised. What they did with Rooker was brilliant. I’d like to read some of his direct quotes regarding Gamora in Guardians 3 to get a better sense of whether or not he may have been speaking figuratively.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is a year old. Is it truth? Or misdirection from Gunn?

Guardians of the Galaxy 3: Gamora Will Have ‘Significant’ Role

https://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-3-gamoa-role/

And this is from last week:

‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’: James Gunn Dishes on What’s Next

Well, at least for now, Gunn is letting you know to expect all of his primary characters to make it out of Infinity War alive. The director confirmed that Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Groot, Rocket, Nebula, and Mantis are all expected to appear in Vol. 3.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...alaxy-vol-3-james-gunn-dishes.html/?a=viewall

And again from last year:

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 Will Have More Gamora, Nebula & Mantis

This seems like more than misdirection:
The director also teased that he is having, "some pretty intense conversations" with Zoe Saldana about her character Gamora having a "significant role" in the third installment.

https://movieweb.com/guardians-of-galaxy-3-more-gamora-nebula-mantis/

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This is a year old. Is it truth? Or misdirection from Gunn?

Guardians of the Galaxy 3: Gamora Will Have ‘Significant’ Role

https://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-3-gamoa-role/

And this is from last week:

‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’: James Gunn Dishes on What’s Next

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...alaxy-vol-3-james-gunn-dishes.html/?a=viewall

And again from last year:

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 Will Have More Gamora, Nebula & Mantis

This seems like more than misdirection:

https://movieweb.com/guardians-of-galaxy-3-more-gamora-nebula-mantis/
That helps me be cautiously optimistic. Though there are still ways that a character can have a significant role in a movie while also not being “real”.

Would actually be interesting if somehow Thanos ultimately decides to bring her back, maybe by trading places?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
An additional thought about the impact of half the universe’s population disappearing. This would surely result in a significant amount of additional deaths of those left behind, as was touched on in the post credits scene. So many crashes and mass casualties as a result. Long term, life may flourish after the culling. But the immediate aftermath is chaos and devastation to the world for those still left alive.

It was generally thought that Ant-Man and The Wasp would take place before Infinity War. Now that is a 100% certainty.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Anyone think that the title of A4 could be something like “Avengers: Endgame”?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There were so many great character moments for such a huge event film. I thought Wanda and Vision played out superbly
Elizabeth Olsen was really great in this movie. I was surprised that Wanda was one of the bigger floating heads on most of the posters, but after seeing the movie it totally makes sense. The two big emotional through lines of the picture are Thanos/Gamora and Wanda/Vision.

And because she is a child of an infinity stone, it was great to see just how powerful the Scarlet Witch was now that she had mastery over her powers.

They had a joke in there with Quill comparing his suffering to Thor's, but you think about the history for a lot of these characters and they would each be seen as tragic.
This is true. Pretty much the entirety of the Guardians took a path of pain and suffering to finding each other. Pretty much all of the Avengers suffered some sort of significant loss on their way toward becoming extraordinary.

The two biggest hell yeah moments for me were Cap turning up in Edinburgh to help Vision and Wanda, (shout out for the "we will deep fry your kebab" sign, got to love the Scots) and Thor's arrival in Wakanda. It was nice to see Thor have a meatier role in this one.
One of the things I loved about the Scotland sequence is that it shows just how good of a leader Cap is. Tony Stark is such a strong and overbearing personality that he engenders pushback. Cap doesn't put himself first, takes the time to really get to know and appreciate the people serving under him, and leverages their strengths as part of a cohesive whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

One of the unanswered questions for me is whether Thor is the last surviving Asgardian left. It would seem to make Ragnarok's sacrifices meaningless if all of the Asgardian refugees die almost immediately after the movie ends.

I think the ones who I would have liked more time with were Cap, Black Panther and Black Widow. Amazing job of balancing the time spent and coming up with the great combinations of characters working together. It must be a herculean task, but the payoff you get with these people you have grown to know and care for is really something else.
They've said that the Avengers that were at the fore in Infinity War will take a back seat in Avengers 4, and the Avengers that took a back seat in Infinity War will come to the fore in Avengers 4. I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that Steve and Nat were among the 50 percent that survived the vast interstellar culling. And I kind of think that if Marvel knew how massive of a success Black Panther was going to be, they'd have had T'Challa survive too.

I also hope Gamora can be saved. Everyone who vanished from Thanos’ finger snap will likely be brought back. Those that died prior to that are much more likely to stay dead. My hope with Gamora is that since her death was Soul Stone related there is more cosmic wiggle room with her fate.
My theory is that since the Soul Stone requires a soul for a soul, Thanos and Gamora will end up swapping places.

An additional thought about the impact of half the universe’s population disappearing. This would surely result in a significant amount of additional deaths of those left behind, as was touched on in the post credits scene. So many crashes and mass casualties as a result. Long term, life may flourish after the culling. But the immediate aftermath is chaos and devastation to the world for those still left alive.
It reminded me a bit of the rapture on "The Leftovers", except on a much larger scale since only two percent of the world's population disappeared in that scenario.

Still, most of the car accidents would probably not be fatal since the vehicles with crumbled drivers would slow down quickly without a foot on the gas (as long as cruise control wasn't enabled). And planes falling out of the sky like we saw in the stinger would probably be fairly rare, since planes have co-pilots. There'd be far more planes where one or both pilots surviving the culling than planes where both pilots crumbled.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Would actually be interesting if somehow Thanos ultimately decides to bring her back, maybe by trading places?
I really like that idea because it gives Thanos some humanity (for lack of a better word) and, like a few points in this movie and due to Brolin's performance, it helps makes him more than just a one dimensional bad guy.

It reminded me a bit of the rapture on "The Leftovers", except on a much larger scale since only two percent of the world's population disappeared in that scenario.
I thought of the same thing when Fury sees the car and helicopter crashes.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Here are my three "theories" (read: total, absolute guesses):

1) There is something about strange going on with 17. Tony fired "17A" to save Spider-man with the Iron Spider suit. Black Panther lifted the shield in section 17 (17-something). On Agents of SHIELD, Fitz said something was up on floor 17 (I forget and have deleted the recording...). And there were a few others. My theory is that the number 17 represents a fatal flaw in the universe, similar to that seen in the comic series, Marvel: The End. This flaw was potentially detected and maybe even emphasized by Doctor Strange through use of the time stone. Ultimately, Thanos will be convinced to use the Gauntlet "one last time" to correct the fatal flaw, but at the cost of wiping himself from existence. Certain events are reversed, but he's gone for good.

2) The souls of the departed are stored inside a pocket universe in the soul stone. They can all be "restored" by the using the Gauntlet. Maybe Doctor Strange has traveled back in time to the 1980s to "warn" Captain Marvel (maybe Hawkeye and Ant-Man are there as children, too--some sort of West Coast Avengers homage). The stones have been scattered once again (this time by Thanos), and Captain Marvel and her team have to quickly collect them before Thanos (now a farmer, as seen at the end of the film, complete with scarecrow homage!) can stop them. Captain Marvel sacrifices herself the soul stone in an homage to the death of Captain Marvel (though Mar-Vell is apparently in the Captain Marvel movie...). Someone else takes up the gauntlet and uses it to restore some measure of the past--though some stay lost.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
One of the unanswered questions for me is whether Thor is the last surviving Asgardian left. It would seem to make Ragnarok's sacrifices meaningless if all of the Asgardian refugees die almost immediately after the movie ends

We never saw Valkyrie (or Korg and Meik). And the movie starts with the battle already having been fought, and lost, by the Asgardians. So it’s possible that Thor told her to flee with as many refugees that she could get onto their smaller ship and they got away.

So it’s possible more Asgardians still live. Sif being completely absent from Ragnarok could mean that she was elsewhere in the nine realms when it went down, so she may also be alive.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
We never saw Valkyrie (or Korg and Meik). And the movie starts with the battle already having been fought, and lost, by the Asgardians. So it’s possible that Thor told her to flee with as many refugees that she could get onto their smaller ship and they got away.
I like that idea. Given Thanos's obsession with balance, he might even have allowed 50 percent of the refugees to get away, and then just slaughtered the rest.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anyone think that the title of A4 could be something like “Avengers: Endgame”?

No, if only because that would not be a spoiler for infinity War. The whole reason we don't know it yet is because it addresses the end of this film. Personally, I think that's a mistake, because later on, when the films coexist as library titles, people coming to it for the first time should be able to see it without the ending of 3 being automatically spoiled by the title of 4. I actually like your suggestion because it's vague enough to not give away 3,but I think if it was that, Marvel would already have released that information.

No need. He got half the universe with his finger snap at the end of Infinity War.

You're right...in which case half the Sovereign are dead too...so why would they still care about some batteries Rocket stole 4 years ago? It seems like Thanos murdering half of their population is a bigger slight toward their people than batteries being stolen, but if Adam Warlock won't be let out of his cocoon until Vol. 3, that's a bit of a hurdle for James Gunn to sidestep.

I just asked Gunn on Twitter if anything he's said about GOTG3 is misdirection or if IW changed his plans for Vol. 3. We'll see if he responds.

I doubt that Infinity War changed his plans, because he had to know what Infinity War was going to do with them before he signed on for Vol. 3.

One of the unanswered questions for me is whether Thor is the last surviving Asgardian left. It would seem to make Ragnarok's sacrifices meaningless if all of the Asgardian refugees die almost immediately after the movie ends.

I thought the same thing, but I really wish the movie had clarified this. I'm also not sure where they could have gone if they did escape.

And I kind of think that if Marvel knew how massive of a success Black Panther was going to be, they'd have had T'Challa survive too.

I doubt this, since they had Spider-Man disappear and we already know he's got a standalone sequel coming. They'll just bring T'Challa back the same way they do Peter Parker, and he'll be ready for Black Panther 2 by the time Ryan Coogler is ready to make it.[/QUOTE]

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As of now, Deadline is projecting $245 million-plus for the weekend, which is only a little bit shy of The Force Awakens' $247.9m all-time record.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish they'd release number of tickets sold rather than dollar amounts. Movie ticket prices have gone up significantly in many areas since TFA opened in 2015, and the same gross now would mean a smaller number of tickets by default.

When I saw TFA in IMAX 3D, the ticket price was $21. It was $27 for Infinity War.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks