What's new

Avengers: ENDGAME (April 26, 2019) [NON-SPOILERS] (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So you didn't tear up once during this movie?

I cannot speak for him, but I know that I didn't. I had a bigger emotional response watching an anime called "Violet Evergarden" on Netflix than I did with this film. One interesting note, though. There was a certain point in the film where quite a few people in the audience started clapping. That is the first time I have been in an audience where a reaction like that has occurred. It showed how invested some people had become in the film.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I also enjoyed the movie but only slightly teared up once in a section I can’t talk about unless I was in the spoilers permitted thread!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I usually try to keep my emotions more in check until the home release. On a completely unrelated note I think my cinema may have an issue with dust as I did get something in my eyes during this film.

If your theater showed Avengers: Infinity War earlier in the day, as part of an Endgame event, it probably did have an issue with dust …

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nope. The performances are all good and the emotional moments all work for me (and clearly for a large chunk of the audience) but I don't have the connection to the characters that would actually cause me to cry. Don't worry, I've already been properly chastised by a friend who LOVES these movies. :)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
While I have yet to see Endgame, I'm in the same boat with the MCU. I find the characters fun but they're all kind of superficial. For me the need to "appeal to all" keeps the writing and characterizations from being on a level I can find emotionally investing.

But Marvel is far from the only franchise with this problem, and I do like the MCU. They're fun movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nope. The performances are all good and the emotional moments all work for me (and clearly for a large chunk of the audience) but I don't have the connection to the characters that would actually cause me to cry. Don't worry, I've already been properly chastised by a friend who LOVES these movies. :)
I didn't tear up for the character perse, but projected my own personal experiences during one key scene so it does leave my teary eye. I find that happens quite a lot more today when watching movies than it used to be when I wore a younger man's cloths. Credit to Billy Joel for that one quote.:)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Some of what got me most emotional while watching the film weren’t actual scenes in the film, but just the thoughts of how my life has changed over the last 11 years and the people I’ve lost along the way, along with the people I’ve met since it started. When the MCU started up, I was a Bostonian only a couple years out of college, single and working my first “real job,” and now I’m a happily married New Yorker on his second career. It’s been a big journey to get from there to here and I couldn’t help but be reminded of that as the film played.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I actually was way more emotional with the “girls/women getting back up” scene from Captain Marvel. I’m not sure why.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think that the last film that made me tear up was another Chris Evans film, Gifted. I had a deep emotional investment in Endgame, but it didn't make me cry.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For some reason, the new Mary Poppins film made me blubber throughout with all the links to the first one.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Very excited for you and your fam, Doug! Enjoy! Hope audience participation is still great!

We LOVED IT! And so did the rest of the audience. My wife, who is NOT a fan of the genre, was smitten. Over the past two weeks we've watched all three Captain America films, and she really likes his character, so that helped get her ready for this. My plan worked! ;)

I'd say the theater was about half-full, which I kind of expected at a 6:30 showing on a work night. Lots of applause as the credits started to roll, and some cheering too. Our IMAX 3D presentation on the 60 foot screen was VERY good, and the film? Well, there's SO much to digest that I'm definitely going to need a few more viewings to process everything. As many have said, I was so engrossed that the three hours just flew by, and I was surprised at just how genuinely emotional the movie was. LOVED Cap's arc, LOVED Tony's arc, what they did with Thor was absolutely inspired, and I thought that Ruffalo pretty much stole the whole thing. Can't wait to see it again!

IMG_0914.jpg

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think this is a fascinating question, and was part of a broad conversation with friends after our Infinity War rewatch, where I was explaining why I didn't like IW on first viewing. Part of it was IW is not emotionally moving to me. But other friends find it affecting.

In contrast, going into End Game ready for the movie and understanding why I reacted negatively to IW originally and setting that aside, I found the End Game in the epilogues to be moving. It was partly from the character arcs and partly from expert emotional manipulation using classic cinematic cheats. But it worked.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I rewatched Infinity War last night and I love most of the movie.

I still have a hard time with the Vision/Wanda romance because it seemingly comes out of nowhere. The filmmakers are counting on me feeling emotionally invested in a relationship that I know nothing about and have no prior connection to, and giving it equal or greater weight than relationships that had already been established and characters I had more history with. It’s a repeat of the ill-conceived Banner/Natasha romance from Age Of Ultron, but with much more prominence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks