What's new

Avengers: Infinity War (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think the movie is more or less over once Deadpool comes out. Just the nature of the beast.

I don't remember what kind of competition The Avengers had, but I was behind on the MCU at the time, having not seen Iron Man 2, Thor or the first Captain America. I heard Iron Man 2 was worse than the first one, and I'm not really sure why I skipped the other two. So, once I heard that The Avengers was good, I had to rent those to do "Avengers homework," and didn't end up seeing that in theaters until mid-June (around when The Incredibles is due this year.) It was really leggy as I recall.

I'm sure that Deadpool will knock it down some, but I don't think it will be completely "over" that quickly, especially if word of mouth is good and people start lining up for multiple repeat viewings. But then I'm also completely fine not seeing the IMAX 3D print.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fair enough. I admittedly get a little too wrapped up at times in equating a film leaving premium theaters with that film no longer being worth still seeing in theaters.

I imagine this will play for a while in standard 2D screens but I have no interest in that presentation, especially after seeing it in IMAX.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Fair enough. I admittedly get a little too wrapped up at times in equating a film leaving premium theaters with that film no longer being worth still seeing in theaters.

I fully understand where you are coming from -- it's the same reason you always remind me about reserved seating, because my primary theater doesn't do that very much -- but I think that for the vast majority of average Joe theatergoers, it won't mater. For me, I have a 40-inch TV and stereo sound out of it, so even once this begins to play in the smaller auditoriums, if I want to see it again, the size and sound of a "lesser" auditorium will beat my home setup.

Also, there are 42 chances per day to see this film at my theater right now. I guarantee you that, while it is certainly on all the biggest screens available, it is also already playing in some of the smaller auditoriums because there simply aren't enough of the larger ones to have that many showtimes without also tucking it into some of the smaller ones. When I bought my ticket the day it went on sale, 7:30pm was the earliest regular-priced 2D time, and it was in auditorium 11, which is one of the biggest non-premium screens. Earlier this week, I noticed they added a 7:05pm time, which would have gotten out earlier but was in theater 16, which I don't think is as large. I could have swapped into the 7:05 with relative ease, but since auditorium 11 has a bigger screen, I kept my original ticket. However, most people wouldn't know or care.

Back when the AMC had wheelchair seating I approved of, when I took my mother and sister to see La La Land in IMAX, they said it was "just like a regular movie" and actually needed me to explain that the screen was bigger. They are probably extreme examples, but I think that the majority of the non-movie geek, non-HTF-member theater audience doesn't really give much thought to things like what size the screen is, as long as it's big.

We've also talked before in the Deadpool 2 thread about how that film may be harmed by opening in the summer rather than in an "off season" where it would have had less competition. The new trailer was better than the previous ones, but I'm still not completely sure about that movie, and it's going to come down to word-of-mouth and reviews. A good opening is assured, but if word gets out that the movie isn't great, I think lots of people may just opt to see Infinity War again instead. I would.

Or, on the flip side, if under-17s do want to sneak into Deadpool, Infinity War is the obvious movie to actually buy tickets for before trying to do that, because it will still have a bunch of screens and available showtimes to choose from, which would make it easy to coordinate with a Deadpool showtime. (Not that I'm advocating this, but I know it's done, although it's certainly easier in non-reserved-seating environments.)

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Between Infinity War and Deadpool 2, Josh Brolin will be the top grossing villain for like six weeks running!

I was so blown away by his work here that it's entirely possible that his "cartoon" performance will be better than his "real" one. Other than the new Apes movies, this was the most impressive mo-cap work I've seen. Not because the CGI was perfect or appeared photorealistic 100% of the time, but because I felt the performance in a major way. It didn't feel like a gimmick or a soulless animation; it felt like a real performance. The facial expressions were his. The voice acting was phenomenal. I think the look of Thanos is so silly that it shouldn't work; and yet, thanks to Brolin, it does.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Between Infinity War and Deadpool 2, Josh Brolin will be the top grossing villain for like six weeks running!

Yes -- and he's also got Sicario: Day of the Soldado in June as well. It's funny how all three of these landed on the release schedule in such close proximity to each other.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Infinity War was quite brilliant.

Wow! Just a relentless, brutal fight against the inevitable. It’s a fast paced, funny (in the right measure), yet dark as hell, action packed, wonderfully acted, tragic EPIC.

Clearly part one of two, which is the the only way I saw such a story as this being done justice. I think they should not have shied away from the “Part One” aspect in the promotion of this (these two) film(s). The ending was ballsy, but I think those in the general audience that aren’t aware that there is another coming out next year may have a tough time processing it. I think knowing this is a “Part One” going in would help with that. But screw ‘em, the ending was damn awesome in the most holy crap kinda way.

I do get what the Russo’s were saying though about this having a complete narrative. It does.
Thanos sets out to gather all of the Infinity Stones to wipe out half of all life in the universe. He’s already got one at the start of the film, and the opening scene shows him acquiring the second. He comes up against some significant obstacles along the way, has to make a tragic sacrifice, comes close to failing (twice), but ultimately succeeds and goes off to live in peace in the new “balanced universe” he created.
A full story line. Of course, from the other perspective, our perspective, there’s clearly more story to come.

There were so many great scenes and moments. So much to process. I’m still processing. But two that really hang with me were near the end during and just after the climax.
Wanda and Vision. Wanda trying to destroy the Mind Stone on Vision’s head as they both know he will die, the looks in their eyes while Thanos is coming for them and she’s holding him off as she’s trying to finish doing this terrible thing that she has to do.
Probably my favorite moment of the film. And then after, when
everyone is starting to drop (ok, half of everyone) and you are wondering “is he/she going to go?”, “Oh thank God, he’s not” Oh, shit! Not him! And not him too!” During this they focused on Peter Parker’s exit and it really captured the feeling of that whole Universe-wide tragedy. Seeing this fun kid scared and sad about what was happening and Tony being powerless to stop it, yet trying to comfort him as it happened. Powerful stuff. Even though we know that most of that is going to have to be undone. The moment still existed and has weight.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I also agree that the Guardians intro song was a great choice.

And for the record, that was James Gunn. Well, he suggested three different songs for that for the Russos to use and they picked that one. Such a great sound and energy to that song.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
By the way, what Arrested Development characters were in this and in what way?

I saw something in the credits about Arrested Development characters and knew I probably missed some kind of fun Easter Egg.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been thinking since the movie about the Guardians and timelines. We know Vol 1 and 2 take place about six months apart around 2014. And we know Infinity War is 2018. I wouldn't be utterly shocked if Vol 3 took place before this movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wouldn't be utterly shocked if Vol 3 took place before this movie.

Your assumption makes sense,but James Gunn has said that it will be set after this one and will help to set up the next 10 years of Marvel films. I suppose he could have been lying to protect Infinity War, but I doubt it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Your assumption makes sense,but James Gunn has said that it will be set after this one and will help to set up the next 10 years of Marvel films. I suppose he could have been lying to protect Infinity War, but I doubt it.

James Gunn is a pretty straight shooter. So I don’t think he was fibbing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't realize he had said that - nevermind!

Although, this was the guy who arranged to have Michael Rooker on the Infinity War set to mess with expectations about the Vol 2 ending. But nah, if he said it's a sequel to this, I believe him.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Although, this was the guy who arranged to have Michael Rooker on the Infinity War set to mess with expectations about the Vol 2 ending.

A funny aside about that: some jerk who saw Vol. 2 internationally posted about Yondu's death in comments on a Facebook ad which showed up in my news feed before the film's domestic release, so I knew it was going to happen going into it. But when I saw it, I didn't feel spoiled after all, because of Sylvester Stallone's lines regarding Yondu's death in his first scene in the film. As soon as I heard that, I knew the jerk had been telling the truth and would have expected Yondu's death at the end whether it had been spoiled for me or not. So that sort of worked out.

After that incident, I disabled Facebook ads from Marvel in my news feed, which I normally like but didn't want to run into again before Vol. 2 came out. Since then, I haven't been able to figure out how to re-ensable them and tell Facebook that I do want to see Marvel ads (which are typically much more interesting to me than most of the other things Facebook shows me ads for at any given time.)

Despite the movie itself foreshadowing the ending last year, I was still really glad that they moved up the release date this year, though, for exactly this reason, and did manage to go into Infinity War unspoiled.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
By the way, what Arrested Development characters were in this and in what way?

I saw something in the credits about Arrested Development characters and knew I probably missed some kind of fun Easter Egg.
I didn't know about it so I didn't spot it (and from the sounds of it, it's tough to see even if you know) but
Tobias in Blue Man makeup is in the Collector's place.
In Infinity War, Star-Lord, Gamora, Mantis and Drax return to Knowhere in hopes of prying the Reality Stone from The Collector before Thanos can get his hands on it. However, they arrive to find widespread destruction. When they hear Thanos’ booming voice, they try to creep up on the Mad Titan, and Star-Lord signals for his teammates to stop, but no one does. As Gamora walks away, the top left corner holds the mother of all Easter eggs: Tobias Fünke in his Blue Man Group makeup — white cut-off shorts and all. He’s one of The Collector’s specimens in the terrarium-like containment cells. Now, just to be clear, it’s not actor David Cross, but it’s unmistakably Tobias.
Quote from and full story here: https://www.cbr.com/avengers-infinity-war-arrested-development-easter-egg/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks