What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Friend took her two boys (9 & 11 years old) huge avengers fans. She sent me a message they bawled their eyes out all the way home and were very upset. I think this is one of the hitches of not making it clear there is a part two; I think unlike star wars, where you attract part of a scifi audience, a lot of the people that drive this are family fun films that you can take younger kids too... and this is going to be tough

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I think in general people have a subliminal expectation that, even though they know Thanos is so dangerous and such a threat with his goal of snapping his fingers and killing half of all life...they just didn't expect it to happen. Somehow our heroes were going to stop him, or that Thanos would still be short a stone or 2 by film's end, leading into Avengers 4 next year...

To see it happen, and half the Avengers are gone, that's what left people stunned...(or disappointed).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think it is the best Marvel movie yet. I can't wait for the second part. Thanos was a REAL threat, more so than any other villain in any superhero film. He was scary, and resourceful. Loved the GOTG which got a much larger part than I thought they would have.
3D was also great, but being such a dark film(visually and tonally) I wished there were some more "bright" areas.

Who would have thought my favorite dialogue would be between Stark, and Strange. Two brilliant, conceited people that are a perfect verbal match for each other.

Great film.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Second viewing today, with the wife and kids. Everyone loved it, but for the second time, the audience groaned collectively at the end. No one knew this was going to be a Part 1. They failed in marketing that message. That's leaving audiences frustrated.

Upon second viewing, it's very clear Dr Strange knew what he was doing and this is all part of his plan.

Also, it's clear that Gamora, or some part of her, exists within the Soul Stone.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Audiences see Infinity War...

C66463BE-3765-46D5-9EBD-B70462C9C27A.gif

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I did enjoy the movie a lot, it might be my favorite Marvel movie along with the GotG standalone films. But I hadn't been keeping up with the Marvel release schedule so I went in unaware that this was likely going to have a major cliffhanger ending. I can see how the ending was a shock for a lot of people & I agree that it might have been a mistake to not call this Part 1.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And, Damn it Peter Quill!
Messed up his own plan.
such an epic battle, hands down the best one in the movie.

The Wakanda stuff was good too though.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Figures courtesy Box Office Mojo.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $301.9 million
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 $295.9 million
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 $381 million

Twilight: Eclipse $300.5 million
Breaking Dawn Part 1 $281.2 million
Breaking Dawn Part 2 $292.3 million

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire $424.6 million
Mockingjay Part 1 $337.1 million
Mockingjay Part 2 - $281.7 million

It appears to me via these figures that, usually, when they split a final installment in half, there is a dip in box office for the first half film versus the "complete" film which immediately preceded it, and then it rebounds for the actual conclusion film. (Hunger Games bucks this trend by having a dip for Mockingjay 1 and then dipping further for Mockingjay 2, but it still is a relevant comp because of the dip.) Given all of this data, I wonder if Marvel's decision not to call this "Part 1" was less of a creative decision about having a complete story, as has been claimed. Maybe it was actually a financially-motivated attempt to counteract "Part 1 fatigue" and not get the box office dip that usually comes with such.

Age of Ultron, which is the last "official" Avengers film, had a domestic total of $495 million, which was a big dropoff from the (admittedly record-shattering) $623 million of the first film. Civil War, which despite what its title claims is actually the last Avengers film, grossed $408 million. If Infinity War were to be labelled Part 1 and then, as a result, ended up falling short of expectations with a "Part 1 dropoff" lower than these numbers, that would be a considerable problem for Marvel. So, maybe their thinking in suggesting that this was a complete story was that they didn't want general audience people to say "Eh, I'll see it on Blu-ray next year before Part 2," which is something I've already hard once this week from a friend who is in-the-know and normally likes Marvel films.

If that's the case, I sort of understand why they made that choice, but it might backfire if you actually have a large portion of the audience for this film expecting it to conclude its story. It's hard for me to imagine not going in knowing that another one is coming, but based on the testimonies in this thread, it's definitely happening for people. And Marvel has not done this before; although their brand relies on connectivity between all of their films, there hasn't been one which didn't conclude its own narrative in this way. The closest, I suppose, is Civil War, which ended with the heroes "broken up," "like a band." But that was a decisive conclusion to its own storytelling.

I know they said "Thanos will return" at the end of the credits, but how many people saw it? Usually, people at my screenings start to bolt when the Marvel logo reappears after the tag scene ends, and don't look at the final, final credits. "Thanos will return" was even after the "Distributed by Buena Vista Pictures Distribution" credit, so there may not be a lot of people left in theaters to see it. So I'm not sure that's enough. If they weren't going to put "Part 1" on this, they might have at least stuck a more concrete "To be continued..." after the sunset image of Thanos sitting down. That would have told everyone to relax in a much more concrete manner than the route they actually took of not having anything there at all.

The thing, to me, is that even if Part 2 wasn't for another three years like the last Avengers film, there's no way this qualifies as an ending for the heroes, so coming out of it, people must assume there's going to be another one at some point even if they don't know when that is.

The question, of course, is whether the people who are mad are actually mad enough to skip next year's film in retaliation. I kind of doubt it, so I think Marvel will end up being fine. It will also be interesting to see if any negative word-of-mouth regarding the ending will have an impact on the film's legs -- or on the desire of the audience to see Ant-Man and the Wasp later this summer.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...but for the second time, the audience groaned collectively at the end. No one knew this was going to be a Part 1. They failed in marketing that message. That's leaving audiences frustrated.
From what I'm reading and hearing from friends who saw the movie with large crowds, etc., I think you're right. I honestly didn't even consider that audiences wouldn't know that the next one was coming soon (not to mention, likely to un-kill most of the characters) and I don't think Marvel and Disney did either.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think Marvel and Disney did either.

Despite what I just wrote in the post above yours about their trying to avoid a "Part 1 dropoff," I think you're right. They assumed because Avengers 4 is already on the schedule for next year, that most of their fans know it is already on the schedule -- which is certainly true for the people who go to Comic-Con and (most of) those of us who hang out on forums like this one, but maybe not so much for general audience moviegoers who aren't as deeply invested in the ins-and-outs of the movie industry as we are.

It will be interesting to see if the word-of-mouth ends up hurting the film. I hope not, because I still think it's a terrific movie with a really ballsy ending. Even though I know full-well we're going to see Spider-Man on screen again twice next summer, that didn't make him saying "I don't want to go, I don't want to die" while being held by Tony Stark any less emotionally stirring for me. If you actually don't know that those two other films are coming, I totally get why this could be even more extremely upsetting.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Question that just occurred to me: how is it that Thor know that Thanos decimated Xandar a week ago, but the Guardians (who protected Xandar from Ronan previously) don't know this until he tells them? Since this picks up immediately after Ragnaok, a week ago, Thor would have been on Sakar, and then watching Hela destroy Asgard. I suppose Thanos could have gloated about it when aboard the Asgardian ship, but it does seem a little bizarre for the Guardians not to have found this out already.

I just assumed Thanos and/or his “children” would have mentioned it (gloated) about how they got the Power Stone he was brandishing during the attack and massacre. There had surely been quite a bit that happened there before we joined the story.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The question, of course, is whether the people who are mad are actually mad enough to skip next year's film in retaliation. I kind of doubt it, so I think Marvel will end up being fine. It will also be interesting to see if any negative word-of-mouth regarding the ending will have an impact on the film's legs -- or on the desire of the audience to see Ant-Man and the Wasp later this summer.

I think there is a pretty good chance that it won’t have the best legs because of the surprise downer ending. I couldn’t guess how much it will affect it, but I’d be willing to bet the way the movie ends is more likely to result in worse legs rather than better legs.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One thing's for sure: It's clear now why both MCU films being released before Avengers 4 are set before Infinity War. Either the timeline's going to be reset (in which case you don't want to make a movie set in a timeline that's going to be overwritten) or a sizable number of people are going to be resurrected (in which case you don't want to spoil Avengers 4).

By setting Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel pre-Thanos, Marvel avoids all of those headaches.

One thing I wish Marvel would publish: a comprehensive timeline of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It would help us (and, for that matter, them) keep everything straight. Multiple sources confirm that the Battle of New York from the first Avengers occurred in May 4, 2012. Based on that, and the fact that Spider-Man: Homecoming took place eight years later, the MCU is probably in the year 2020 or 2021 at this point.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Homecoming title card is absolutely incorrect, as acknowledged both by the Russos and from dialogue within Infinity War.

Homecoming is 4-5 years after The Avengers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, if this movie is two years after Civil War, most of Homecoming fits snugly into "last year" territory. We were talking about this yesterday over in the non-spoiler thread, but it's very clear that with a few exceptions, more often than not, the MCU films are taking place in something close to "real time," and someone just botched the math on the title card for Homecoming.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On another note...because he told Tony that "It was the only way," I'm going to assume Dr. Strange gave Thanos the Time Stone because he saw that he had to do this to help result in the one future where they ultimately win.

We also know that both Ant-Man and the Wasp will appear in Avengers 4. In Ant-Man's first film, we learned about the Quantum Realm, and it's heavily implied that Hope's mom could still be alive in there. I don't think it would be that significant of a stretch to assume that Strange may also be aware of the existence of the Quantum Realm.

What if, prior to giving Thanos the Time Stone, Strange put some sort of spell on it? Like, say, so that instead of wiping out half the population of the world, it sends them to the Quantum Realm instead? If so, they're not dead at all, and that is a logical explanation for where they all went to which is already built into Marvel's pre-existing storytelling, rather than them having to pull a rabbit out of a hat in order to bring back the "dead" characters in some random way. This would also explain why Ant-Man and the Wasp both get pulled into the next film to help facilitate their returns, especially if they get her mom out of there in the film that opens in the meantime (which seems very likely since we know that Michelle Pfeiffer is playing her.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What are Wanda's powers in the MCU?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but to my memory, since she can't be a "mutant" due to rights issues with Fox, she got her powers due to being experimented on by Hydra with the Mind Stone, which was in Loki's staff before it was placed in Vision's head. She can move things with her mind, and there might be other things too that I'm forgetting from Age of Ultron.

Also, apparently, she can drop accents at will, since she has a thick Russian one in Age of Ultron which hasn't been used at all since. :laugh:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Can someone explain to me how Stark's suit evolved in IW?

When it appeared for the first time, I was all like: "what? where the hell did it come from?" From my PoV it just appeared to "materialize" over his body as he was walking. Was it actually invisible and he was wearing it all along, or what's going on there?

I thought it was very odd. The suit gets easier and easier to put on with every movie. They are literally one movie away from the suits coming in a pack of gum and you just have to pop a stick of gum in your mouth to be in a suit.

They talked about it super briefly and I didn't really catch how Stark explained it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Can someone explain to me how Stark's suit evolved in IW?

When it appeared for the first time, I was all like: "what? where the hell did it come from?" From my PoV it just appeared to "materialize" over his body as he was walking. Was it actually invisible and he was wearing it all along, or what's going on there?

I thought it was very odd. The suit gets easier and easier to put on with every movie. They are literally one movie away from the suits coming in a pack of gum and you just have to pop a stick of gum in your mouth to be in a suit.

They talked about it super briefly and I didn't really catch how Stark explained it.

Basically the bleeding edge armour is a series of nanobots that Tony stores inside him, to be activated and controlled by the new arc reactor mounted once again on his chest. The nanobots can essentially turn into whatever Tony wants, from clothing to complex machines. In the final battle with Thanos, you can see the nanobots moving from his legs/lower body to replace damaged armour in the upper portions (and heal him, later). He also does a neat trick with the instantly regenerating helmet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks