What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have no interest in viewing this film in 2D, so the UHD package doesn't appeal to me, but I agree that it's silly how many separate SKUs are in existence these days. I wish studios would give serious consideration to condensing all into a single package - UHD, 3D, BD, DVD - and could just be done with it. Their retailer partners would appreciate that, and ultimately, it would help keep physical media viable by not fragmenting that market further. It would also be of benefit to consumers who aren't even thinking about future-proofing by just making that the default method of distribution.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
II wish studios would give serious consideration to condensing all into a single package - UHD, 3D, BD, DVD - and could just be done with it. Their retailer partners would appreciate that

Such a thing sounds nice in theory, but would probably cost more than jut a Blu-ray or standalone DVD. I think Infinity War will probably be a big seller for general consumers, but they won't want a high-priced version; they'll buy the basic one for $9.99 on Black Friday and be done with it.

Also, given how many different retailers want to have exclusives on various titles, I'm not sure if they would appreciate a streamlined approach.

Lately, for the Marvel titles, Best Buy gets a steelbook,while Target gets a "filmmaker edition" digibook. I don't know what Wal-Mart gets but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something there as well, since they're all competing to have you buy your copy from them. As we've discussed before in the Roundup threads and elsewhere, this actually increases the fragmentation of the market.

Because I can't buy it from Amazon, I pre-ordered Black Panther from Target some time ago. But I went with the regular Blu-ray edition rather than the digibook, because i'm just tired of retailer exclusives altogether. Also, for movies that are part of a series, I usually want the packaging to be uniform. I don't want to, say, be able to obtain a steelbook for Black Panther 1 from Best Buy and then not end up with same for Black Panther 2 whenever that happens. Or, to be more in range of things we know are happening soon, a steelbook for Infinity War would look out of place with my regular Blu-ray copy of The Avengers. And what if I didn't get the steelbook for Avengers 4 next year? I'd have one half of a matching set, but not both, and that sort of thing drives me nuts.

I did choose to get the steelbook for Finding Dory, which is a film that has extraordinary significance to me for personal reasons that would veer this thread off-topic. I chose to get that because I wanted to distinguish the film within my collection, and I love having it. However, it still annoys me that I don't have a steelbook version of Finding Nemo to go with it. I've got a standard Blu-ray case edition of Finding Nemo next to a fancy steelbook for Finding Dory, and even though I love the steelbook, it looks weird not to have them be uniformly packaged.

I have, thus far, gotten the basic non-retailer specific editions for all of the MCU films that I own, and I expect to get the same for Infinity War later this year.

I have done the retailer exclusive thing in the past, but lately I'm just burned out on it, and it would have to be something really, really significant to get me to want those again.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
upload_2018-5-5_23-37-17.jpeg

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Saw this today and am now caught up on both threads. Very good movie, which isn't really a shock to me as I like almost all of the Marvel movies. Dark World is hard to get through.

I know you guys have talked about the trailer and the Hulk being in the group charge, but I'm wondering if in the "reset" that's the way things play out and the final thing that happens is Thor goes for Thanos' head to win the battle.

I think it's inevitable that Steve Rogers will die, which I don't like because he's been my favorite, but I'll live. But I'm thinking Tony may actually retire and have the baby that he dreamed about. He's been haunted since the Battle of New York, and defeating Thanos would end that thread.

Is there more meaning to Thanos knowing Stark?

I saw it in IMAX 3D and the 3D did nothing for me like other movies I've seen this way. Maybe I'm just used to the effect now.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But I'm thinking Tony may actually retire and have the baby that he dreamed about.

The problem with "retirement" is, even once he stops Thanos, what happens the next time there is a potential world-ending event? What's he going to say, "No?" We saw how long Clint's "retirement" after Age of Ultron lasted, and there wasn't even a supervillain in Civil War whose presence caused him to come back; it was just a disagreement among the Avengers. Especially if Tony has a kid, who would obviously die in the event of the end of the world, what's he going to say if someone comes calling saying the world needs to be saved? "No?" I really think the only way to take him out of the equation permanently is for him to die. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sens for him suddenly not to be there when needed.

We also know based on press from around the time that Homecoming came out that Sony will be borrowing a different MCU character for Homecoming 2, *not* Tony Stark. Given how they have developed the relationship between Tony and Peter throughout all three films in which they have jointly appeared, and particularly given that the first one was about Tony learning to pay attention to Peter and not just brush off his concerns, I'm straining to imagine a circumstance in which it makes sense for him to be absent from the Homecoming sequel unless he's dead.

Obviously, I really hope I'm wrong. I also think that Marvel will probably continue to pay Downy as long as he wants to play the role, since even though his fee is high, if you put him in a starring role as Iron Man, you get a $1 billion dollar-grossing movie at this point. But if he really does want to hang up his armor, I don't see a way for him to just fade away and stay offscreen.

I doubt it. Tony was critical to the success of The Avengers in stopping Loki's invasion of Earth, which Thanos "sponsored." I'm sure he got on Thanos' radar at that point in time. Like Nick Fury said in the end of that movie, "Every world knows it." And Thanos would obviously take great interest in finding out about whoever beat him, since he wasn't expecting to be beaten.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Saw this today and am now caught up on both threads. Very good movie, which isn't really a shock to me as I like almost all of the Marvel movies. Dark World is hard to get through.

I know you guys have talked about the trailer and the Hulk being in the group charge, but I'm wondering if in the "reset" that's the way things play out and the final thing that happens is Thor goes for Thanos' head to win the battle.

I think it's inevitable that Steve Rogers will die, which I don't like because he's been my favorite, but I'll live. But I'm thinking Tony may actually retire and have the baby that he dreamed about. He's been haunted since the Battle of New York, and defeating Thanos would end that thread.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and the 3D did nothing for me like other movies I've seen this way. Maybe I'm just used to the effect now.

Yeah, I’m curious to know if Hulk in Wakanda was something that was changed or something that might be revisited. There were also toys (LEGO, etc..) that had the Hulk busting out of the Hulkbuster (kinda terrible how toys stuff can spoil movies before they are in theaters). Also, a few years back Joss Whedon had said that he had this really cool idea for something with the Hulk in Age of Ultron that he ultimately didn’t use but would pass on the suggestion to the Russos and for whatever reason I thought it was Hulk busting out of the Hulkbuster. So when I saw both the Hulkbuster and the Hulk in Wakanda in trailers (and there was no suggestion of Stark in Wakanda) I figured it was a sure thing. The thing is, Avengers 4 doesn’t come out for a whole year. It’s already filmed (aside from whatever pick-ups they want to do in the Fall) so they have an entire year for editing and visual effects. Seems weird that they would render the effects for something meant for A4 before IW was in theaters. But then, I would think that they wouldn’t commit to rendering effects (expensive and time consuming) for scenes if they haven’t committed to the cut yet. So I’m still leaning toward it just being done for the 2-3 second trailer shot, similar to the shot in the homecoming trailers with Spider-Man swinging next to Iron Man. That was created specifically for trailers and was never a part of the movie.

I hope Steve Rogers doesn’t die because he is my favorite character and I feel like he still has so much more potential for more stories in the MCU for years to come. But if he were to die heroically in an epic sacrifice, it would be an fitting ending for Cap. Though I’d prefer ending for him where he finally finds peace and a life outside of being a soldier. He’s earned it.

There may be something more to it, but I think Thanos knowing Stark is just because he knew two Infinity Stones were on the same planet and he learned as much as he could about its protectors before moving on it. He also may have wanted to know who it was that nuked his Chitauri ships a few years back.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ok, so here are a few set photos from a scene in Avengers 4. These have been referred to a few times in this thread already, but they haven’t actually been posted. I know the first thing most will think seeing these is “time travel”. That certainly seems like a good possibility, but I’m leaving room for the possibility of something else as well.

I’m putting this in spoiler tags because it is for the next movie, not the one being discussed here. Just incase someone would prefer not to see this.

What’s most interesting is Tony looks older with lighter hair, and he is wearing what looks to be a SHIELD uniform. I think that there’s a good chance that Avengers 4 picks up years after Infinity War.

B2DC7E9D-86B1-41F8-936D-8E9F438889F4.jpeg
5EC93767-6ECB-4C73-B5B8-FAB08C782CCA.png
D42A1788-44ED-4184-8F86-B69C8F7D30A4.jpeg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think that there’s a good chance that Avengers 4 picks up years after Infinity War.

I'm putting the following in spoiler brackets because it is a response to your speculation from the above spoiler bracket, but it is strictly speculation -- I don't work for Marvel and I don't have any insider information at all, so if any of it is actually right, this is luck on my part.

That would be a surprise. If so, where do you think we would catch up with Tony? I feel like leaving him stranded on Titan with Nebula implies that we will get a story beat out of how he gets off there. If there ends up being a multiyear time jump, then he probably wouldn't be able to survive on Titan that long without food and water and such, so he will have had to get off of there somehow if we're to pick up with him a long time later. Titan looked pretty desolate so I'm guessing it's not livable.

Also, a time jump would be difficult to reconcile with the Homecoming sequel, because all of Peter's classmates (who didn't vanish) would have graduated by the time he returns, and Sony obviously would like to keep that supporting cast (Ned, Michelle, etc.) intact. However, I suppose that their goal is to undo the fact that Thanos ever did the snap, rather than bringing everyone back to a post-snap world. If it does involve prevention, that would erase any time gap between films, and allow the character deaths to have some weight, because thy only became un-killed in a time travel fashion (as opposed to, say, Colson, whose death in The Avengers still happened, but he was brought back via other means for the TV series.

Last edited:

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
The problem with "retirement" is, even once he stops Thanos, what happens the next time there is a potential world-ending event? What's he going to say, "No?" We saw how long Clint's "retirement" after Age of Ultron lasted, and there wasn't even a supervillain in Civil War whose presence caused him to come back; it was just a disagreement among the Avengers. Especially if Tony has a kid, who would obviously die in the event of the end of the world, what's he going to say if someone comes calling saying the world needs to be saved? "No?" I really think the only way to take him out of the equation permanently is for him to die. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sens for him suddenly not to be there when needed.

We also know based on press from around the time that Homecoming came out that Sony will be borrowing a different MCU character for Homecoming 2, *not* Tony Stark. Given how they have developed the relationship between Tony and Peter throughout all three films in which they have jointly appeared, and particularly given that the first one was about Tony learning to pay attention to Peter and not just brush off his concerns, I'm straining to imagine a circumstance in which it makes sense for him to be absent from the Homecoming sequel unless he's dead.

Obviously, I really hope I'm wrong. I also think that Marvel will probably continue to pay Downy as long as he wants to play the role, since even though his fee is high, if you put him in a starring role as Iron Man, you get a $1 billion dollar-grossing movie at this point. But if he really does want to hang up his armor, I don't see a way for him to just fade away and stay offscreen.

I doubt it. Tony was critical to the success of The Avengers in stopping Loki's invasion of Earth, which Thanos "sponsored." I'm sure he got on Thanos' radar at that point in time. Like Nick Fury said in the end of that movie, "Every world knows it." And Thanos would obviously take great interest in finding out about whoever beat him, since he wasn't expecting to be beaten.

I have been thinking about Stark and how it might end for him. He has had this very situation in mind ever since the battle of New York. At the start of the film there is almost a hint of relief in him that what he has worried about for so long is finally here and that he can try to deal with it. Him retiring would need the Thanos problem resolved and him to feel that the New Avengers have in their capability to deal with whatever he could imagine coming next. However, there is the issue of Strange needing him alive in the one victory scenario so he must have a key role to play in it. Combine that with his natural ego and is he ever going to truly feel threats can be dealt with if he doesn't help? At the very least he could be in advisory/consultant role, but then would he actually not suit up the next time things got bad?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
After seeing those photos, I'm even more confident in the theory I set out in post #207.

That tech looks like Pym tech (it's built into Ant-Man's suit, but Tony and Cap have theirs strapped on). I'm going to double down on my "using the quantum realm to jump dimensions (and time)."

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm putting the following in spoiler brackets because it is a response to your speculation from the above spoiler bracket, but it is strictly speculation -- I don't work for Marvel and I don't have any insider information at all, so if any of it is actually right, this is luck on my part.

That would be a surprise. If so, where do you think we would catch up with Tony? I feel like leaving him stranded on Titan with Nebula implies that we will get a story beat out of how he gets off there. If there ends up being a multiyear time jump, then he probably wouldn't be able to survive on Titan that long without food and water and such, so he will have had to get off of there somehow if we're to pick up with him a long time later. Titan looked pretty desolate so I'm guessing it's not livable.

Also, a time jump would be difficult to reconcile with the Homecoming sequel, because all of Peter's classmates (who didn't vanish) would have graduated by the time he returns, and Sony obviously would like to keep that supporting cast (Ned, Michelle, etc.) intact. However, I suppose that their goal is to undo the fact that Thanos ever did the snap, rather than bringing everyone back to a post-snap world. If it does involve prevention, that would erase any time gap between films, and allow the character deaths to have some weight, because thy only became un-killed in a time travel fashion (as opposed to, say, Colson, whose death in The Avengers still happened, but he was brought back via other means for the TV series.

Yeah, it’s purely a guess here as well. But if they do go that route it seems like a role back is more likely than just “undoing”.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Avengers 4 discussion:
The interesting thing for me is that Rogers is wearing the infamous Captain America suit from the first Avengers that hasn't been seen since, except for the school instructional videos inside Homecoming.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Clean shaven too.
Yeah, about the Cap picture from A4. There were also set photos of
Thor looking just as he did in The Avengers and also Loki in the restraints he was wearing before he and Thor used the Tesseract to return to Asgard. So however this is accomplished they seem to be revisiting the battle of New York in some way. Time travel, dimensional, maybe just virtual.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So, Evans was wearing a wig during IW?

Had to be. Looked like a wig.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
So, Evans was wearing a wig during IW?

Had to be. Looked like a wig.

I think he wears a wig even when he has his normal hair style. If you look at Chris Evans’ hair line from real life photos, it isn’t quite as strong as Steve’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks