What's new

Avengers: Infinity War -- Spoilers Thread (2 Viewers)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My reaction to it is different Jake. I find the use of Hulk in the trailer to be, shall I say, a bald-faced lie. ;) Sure, shots in trailers that never end up in the movie happen all the time, but this was a very calculated and deliberately executed falsehood. Marvel/Disney led me to believe that Hulk would be on the ground in Wakanda fighting alongside the rest of the Avengers, and he wasn't.

I'm not a fan of this type of marketing, and it didn't take those shots of the Big Guy to get me excited AF about this film. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Come on stop it.

Trailers are made as a preview and it’s nothing new for scenes to be in a preview that aren’t in and were never meant for the movie.

If you’re expecting everything you see on the trailer to also be in the movie you’re doing it wrong.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Come on stop it.

Trailers are made as a preview and it’s nothing new for scenes to be in a preview that aren’t in and were never meant for the movie.

If you’re expecting everything you see on the trailer to also be in the movie you’re doing it wrong.

I think I explained my position on this particular trailer inclusion quite clearly, and I've already addressed everything you mention above. Did you not understand what I was saying?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
"I think it’s a reflection of [Gamora’s] spirit, and the power required to use all of the stones at once is so significant that it sends Thanos into this dream state. You’ll notice his arm is damaged post the snap, the gauntlet is damaged post the snap, it’s the incredible energy required from it and only because of his strength is he able to survive actually using the gauntlet in that capacity. But it does create this cathartic moment for him."

I wondered about the gauntlet at the end of the film. It seemed like Thor's attack on Thanos melted the metal, and made me wonder if it was now fused to his hand -- in which case, they'll never get it off and the stones are now part of him.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I can't see it online, but in the most recent Entertainment Weekly magazine there is an article about what's next for the MCU. They mention that they did careful planning with Ant Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel. As people here have speculated,
both movies will have foreshadowing to the next Avengers movie

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I though the most sublimely silly exchange in the entire movie was

"WHERE is Gamora?"
"I'll do you one better, WHO is Gamora?"
"I'll do you one better, WHY is Gamora?

Drax's line is loopy and amusing enough, but the delivery just makes it a classic. Bautista is a comedy savant.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I wondered about the gauntlet at the end of the film. It seemed like Thor's attack on Thanos melted the metal, and made me wonder if it was now fused to his hand -- in which case, they'll never get it off and the stones are now part of him.

What I find interesting is that the Gauntlet has been significantly damaged by using it for the snap. Thanos has also been injured by using it in this way and only survived at all because of his immense inherent strength.

This suggests a few things. Using the gauntlet isn’t as easy a task as it had been in the comics. If anyone of the heroes is to use the gauntlet (a repaired version or a new version) they will likely die from the act (except maybe Thor or Captain Marvel).

If using the gauntlet to kill half of all life damaged it (and the one that wields it) to such a degree, then it doesn’t seem likely that it could have been used to “create more resources” to address the imbalance of life. Seems that would be a much more complex and difficult task. It is much easier to destroy than to create. Having the Infinity Gauntlet with all six stones does not make the wearer omnipotent (unlike the comics). Thanos made one use of all six stones together and it damaged the gauntlet and nearly killed him.

So even though his obsession that his “solution” was right combined with his insanity means that the character would not have changed his tune and instead just used the gauntlet to basically create a new universe (doubling, or more, the amount of “resources” would basically be doing that) it doesn’t look like that is something that he could have done even if he wanted to.

This also may be the reason why Strange saw that the only way to beat Thanos was to let him win first. He was seriously injured by Thor already, then using the Gauntlet injured him even further. The Gauntlet itself is damaged which may possibly prevent it from being used in such a way again (unless repaired or replaced with another). So Thanos is possibly in a much weaker position now. Time will tell.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There was an unfinished gauntlet on the Star where they made StormBreaker

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
That makes three Infinity Gauntlets -- one in Odin's Trophy Room in Thor (the one Hela dubbed as a fake in Ragnarok), the one Thanos is wearing at the end of Age of Ultron, and now the one forged in Nidavellir around the same time Asgard was destroyed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I know this is a spoilers thread and we're free to discuss everything in the movie, but this one is so spoilery for Avengers 4, that I think it is best to
batlab.4962
31961040_1675975532458278_7772597664121618432_n.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Kidding aside, someone shared this panel from one of the most famous Thanos stories (which I know I read some 40 years ago):

Adam-Warlock-Avenger-Thanos-Marvel-Comics-h1.jpg

This leads me to believe that maybe it's Gamora who emerges from the soul stone and ultimately kills Thanos. Just a guess.

BTW, the writers and directors of IW say that James Gunn was not consulted on Gamora's fate in IW, which suggests she will be back in A4, in time for GOTG3.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/james-gunn-major-decision-avengers-infinity-war/

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I appreciate people keeping Avengers 4 stuff spoilered in this thread.

Just for your curiosity, with exception of the set photos linked by Sean in post 270, everything has been complete guesswork by forum members. The only spoilers to be found there concern the comics, so you should be safe!

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Thanks Josh, I have now read the spoilers other than the set pics.

I wonder just how closely they are linking in Ant Man & The Wasp and Captain Marvel to Avengers 4. I am looking for any little morsel of information on how our heroes are going to get out of this situation, but I also wouldn't mind AM&TW being a change of pace film and just having her receive the message at the end of Captain Marvel.

I wonder what sort of impact it will have on them from a box office perspective. I would expect Ant Man to get a bump from the first one which was well received and his cameo in Civil War went down well. I really don't know what to expect from Captain Marvel, it missed being the first good female led super hero movie, but it being only 2 months prior to Avengers 4 (less worldwide and US if they bring it forward again) and her having a key role to play, I would expect it could be one of their bigger origin movies.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw it again last night in IMAX 2D. For some reason my theater dropped the IMAX 3D.

Still loved it for the most part but the ending still felt hollow and false and had no weight for me as I know those “dust deaths” are just temporary. Very disappointing.

Also the scene where Quill breaks the hold on Thanos because of Gamora death also seemed too convenient. And telegraphed too early by Iron Man.

But the rest.......wow. :thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...but the ending still felt hollow and false and had no weight for me as I know those “dust deaths” are just temporary. Very disappointing.
That's the only thing I can point to and say that I actively did not like about the movie. Unfortunately, that's not a great thing to think about what is the climax of the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks