What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Streets of San Francisco

S1. Ep. 10 - The Year of the Locusts

George Voskovec(Juror #11), Penny Santon, Michael Ansara(Kang), Philip Ahn(Kung Fu)

Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves

A guard gets killed during a 500,000 dollar heist at the headquarters of the Imperial Jade Company. Mike Stone and Steve Keller are in charge of the investigation. Mike suspects the Ferguson clan. Yet the members of this family who live on scams have never resorted to violence yet...

Once again we have the storyline using something in Mike's past (growing up in an immigrant neighborhood and being amazed by the gypsies who befriended him) and then making them a sympathetic villain. Good for character development in this episode but much like characters throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's I doubt this background ever resurfaces. Still, I always enjoy seing Ka-Michael Ansara. He is always so measured and intense in his performance. The outcome between the "old" and "new" is predictable.

I am still impressed by the locations and the ever present weekly guest cast. I guess the name QM could really bring out the best.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Streets of San Francisco

S1. Ep. 11 - The Bullet

Barney Phillips(TZ alien and repairmen), Carl Betz(Patty Duke), Geraldine Page, Norman Alden, Hari Rhodes(Daktari)

Blackmail, murder, injury, hit men, electronic tracking, helicopters and a really interesting story. I liked this one. Good acting and a believable reason for the teacher to act as he did. I enjoyed this one.

S1. Ep. 12 - Bitter Wine

Paul Michael Glaser(Starsky & Hutch), Scott Marlowe, Nehemiah Persoff(any 60's series), Robert F. Simon(The Defenders - the Dr. in the "Benefactor" ep.)

Another well written story dealing with family secrets. I liked this one. Good story and very well acted.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Streets of San Francisco

S1. Ep. 13 - A Trout in the Milk

Roscoe Lee Browne(The Cowboys), Brenda Sykes, Ed Lauter(The Longest Yard - 1975), Vic Tayback(Star Trek, Alice)

Always a pleasure to see Roscoe Lee Browne, especially seeing him in the "Cotton Comes to Harlem" pimp outfit. Also a nice throwback to the hippie era with the artist interrogation.

Dad spins lies to save his erring daughter. Was a bit stunned that the show would use a "homosexual relationship" as an excuse for murder. I believe this was broadcast in 1973. Didn't realize mainstream tv was referencing this that early. Not sure when "An Early Frost" was first telecast. Anyway, a decent episode that seemed to be figured out when Lt. Stone questioned the woman in the hospital.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 17 - The Possessed

Michael Tolan, William Smithers(Capt. Merik, Jeremy Wendell), Katherine Justice, Kent Smith, Michael Constantine(Room 222)

Willard Sanitarium - a place of rest and health. But for David Vincent, there will be a terrifying vision of the future, waiting at the end of the peaceful road.

A friend of David sent him a letter and then has no knowledge of sending the letter. Michael Constantine is the caring brother who allowed the alien, Smithers, to conduct experimental brain surgery. The surgery turned the brother into a pawn. Wow, so many sci-fi tropes all done to great effect in telling the story. Excellent acting from all involved. A very good episode.

A defeat for the aliens; a victory for the world. Four people, each with an unfinished mission and work to do.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 18 - Counter-Attack

Lin McCarthy, Donald Davis, Ahna Capri, John Milford, Ken Lynch(Star Trek), Ross Elliott

Astronomer Eliot Kramer is dead. But as a legacy to seven people, who know our planet is under attack, he has bequeathed a powerful weapon - a computerized program that will at last enable his seven friends to go from defense to attack.

A jamming device to create havoc with spaceships in the atmosphere devised by a scientist who is murdered in the opening minutes. The device must be used at a broadcast station. I really enjoyed this one, especially the lovely Ahna Capri. A really good story with some nice moments at the broadcast tower.

A new war, a war in which the ability to attack is no longer the sole prerogative of the Invader.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 19 - The Pit
Charles Aidman, Joanne Linville(Romulan Commander), Donald Harron

Professor Julian Reed, a member of David's Vincent's group of Believers, had been hospitalized as insane. But is he a victim of the aliens or of his own mind?

Has the professor gone crazy? That is what David is attempting to find out. Nice to see the Romulan Commander in a different role, supporting wife. Nice to see her motherly side. Another good episode. I am really enjoying the added depth with the addition of Scoville and "the believers". I wasn't sure if their addition would help or hurt the story. I believe that it has been beneficial.

Really nice to see the scenes at the amusement park. I kept expecting to see Johnson, Kimble and Gerard.

Perhaps it has ended for the Reed family. But for David Vincent, it is still the beginning.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 20 - The Organization

J. D. Cannon(McCloud, The Fugitive), Larry Gates, Roy Poole, John Kellogg, Barry Atwater(Surak), Ross Hagen

A search for evidence of an alien spacecraft has led David Vincent into the hands of a ruthless enemy. Unaware that the freighter he searched carried not one alien cargo - but two.

Organized crime (mafia) and aliens. I have a soft spot for organized crime stories. I never would have thought of combining storylines. I really thought that J.D. Cannon nailed his role in this one, the conflicted crime boss. It seems that the aliens have come into possession of imported heroin and the mob wants it back. David and an investigative reporter get caught in the middle. Ethics are brought into question. Do you cooperate with "evil" just because you have a common enemy? What are the consequences? What is the cost?

I thought this episode blended the the two genres fairly well. Good story and well acted.

Two hours after his decision to save David's life, Peter Kalter left the organization for good. He had joined the fight against another organization - a fight which David Vincent will continue.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Some episodes of 'The Streets of San Francisco' are updated and expanded scripts first used in 'The Naked City' (notably season one starring John McIntire & James Franciscus)

- 'The Bullet' is one (Telly Savalas is the shooter in the 'Naked City' original version) , and also the episode where Steve Keller goes undercover into a mental hospital pretending to have had a breakdown to unmask a killer in the hospital (I've just watched the original)

note in the episode; 'Deadline' (guest star Barry Sullivan) Lt. Mike Stone is telling Steve Keller about how years before when he was the rookie young detective...

Mike refers to his boss back then being 'old McIntire'...

was this a show 'salute' to the old Naked City ?

re the gay angle - watch 'A Good Cop...But' later on in season five

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
BARNABY JONES

S3. Ep. 16 - Counterfall

Mitchell Ryan (original Burke Devlin in Dark Shadows and Kyle Riker in TNG), Jacqueline Scott (Donna Kimble in The Fugitive), James T. Callahan (Beard in The Time Tunnel, with Lee Meriwether), Robert Mandan, John Carter, Ron Rifkin, Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat in DS9), Patrick Culliton (VTTBOTS, Time Tunnel extra)

A cast of some of my TV favorites livens up this Barnaby Jones episode. From old QM friends to coincidental pairings and even a character named "Riker". Callahan is setup as a killer of a judge who'd sentenced him to an earlier crime. Barnaby unravels the tangles as usual.

A fun hour of television, even with the sub-par print.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 21 - The Peacekeeper

James Daly (Medical Center, The Invaders pilot as David's partner), Phyllis Thaxter, Lin McCarthy (recurring colonel Archie), Alfred Ryder (another recurring alien, the Leader) Jan Merlin, Jack Bannon (pre-credit cameo as a military alien spy, Lou Grant)

For two years, David Vincent has been waging war on two fronts: one, against the alien Invader; the other, the attempt to enlist allies in high places while there is still time. Now, finally, with some help from friends in the military, David Vincent is opening the second front.

Wow, wonderful opening scene. Tension is set high even though we all know the captured alien will disappear. I am still enjoying these episodes with the addition of the believers. I was really surprised by the reuse of the alien leader as well as Archie. I wish that the leader and David had more interaction as they are so enjoyable in their roles. Alfred Ryder seems to relish this role. These little touches just add that much "more" to the story. The story is very entertaining and I thought the twist was probably unique back in '68, sorta predictable to me. Seems to be a variation on the "Fail-Safe" solution. Sorry to see Archie go. Not surprised that the President had no knowledge as that lets David still act as a lone wolf (show template - David needs to be one against many).

One thing that puzzles me - The general and Archie take off in a jet, yet David and the General's family travel to the secret location in a car and get there prior to jet. Wonder about the laws of physics sometime. Other than that small detail, this is a very good episode.

David Vincent returns to his war against the Invader. He returns to his search for another day and another place where the powers from both sides will meet again and an armistice will become a reality.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I notice that there is a Season 1 and Season 2 individual sets of the Invaders. There is also a boxed S1&S2 set which cost at least $15 more than buying 1 and 2 individually. Is there something in this set that makes it worth the extra $$?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I notice that there is a Season 1 and Season 2 individual sets of the Invaders. There is also a boxed S1&S2 set which cost at least $15 more than buying 1 and 2 individually. Is there something in this set that makes it worth the extra $$?
Johnny, nothing new or better has been included in any bundling of season 1 and 2 (looks like you would just be paying extra for a cardboard band and shrink wrapping them together)...nor would there likely be any added extras in any yet to be announced complete series re-release...that's probably coming at some point...but rest assured, everything that's in the two original single season releases would be the same...those features being all episodes remastered and complete, the extended pilot, intros on all episodes by Roy Thinnes, a single episode commentary by Larry Cohen in season 1...and another single episode commentary by Alan Armer in season 2...Cohen's commentary is pretty good, Armer's is drab and not at all of benefit (I'd like to hear his memories of working with Harlan Ellison on VTTBOTS, ha, ha)...both season sets have nice on camera interviews with Roy Thinnes, especially the longer one for season two...

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 22 - The Vise

Raymond St. Jacques (Cotton Comes to Harlem), Roscoe Lee Browne (The Cowboys), Janet MacLachlan, Louis Gossett, Jr. (Officer and a Gentleman, Enemy Mine, Stargate SG-1)

For two days, a Senate Subcommittee has been meeting to consider the nomination of a man named Arnold Warren for an important post in the International Space Program. David Vincent has reason to believe that Warren is an alien. He has 24 hours to prove it.

Not sure where to begin on this one. The Invaders meet Black History Month! This story plays as a time capsule of the sixties and seems to be making a statement about what it took to live in a predominantly "white" world. At times this episode made me uncomfortable in the attitudes expressed. Attitudes given expression that still seem to be simmering today. Performances are extremely excellent throughout the episode. Another fine story.

James A. Baxter, Special Investigator for a Senate Subcommittee, a formidable ally for David Vincent, who will join the battle against an alien race - the Invader from the sky.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 23 - The Miracle

Ed Asner (Lou Grant, Up), Barbara Hershey, Arch Johnson, Christopher Shea (original voice of Linus from Charlie Brown)

James A. Baxter, Special Investigator for a Senate Subcommittee, a formidable ally for David Vincent, who will join the battle against an alien race - the Invader from the sky.

Not a lot to this episode. I enjoy all of the early appearances of Ed Asner and he does good work in this episode. Just not much of a standout. Special credit to Christopher Shea for his spot on performance as the con artist kid.

Side note - interesting alien tactic while the supposed thief was fighting David. He was trying to take a kill pill and was holding onto David waiting for the inevitable burst of fire. I assume that if he flamed out he would have taken David with him. I don't believe I have seen this prior.

So David Vincent leaves Lagrimas, New Mexico, with a crystal from an alien planet. He leaves behind two orphans who have met in the desert and who, having lost everything, gained a new life.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 24 - The Life Seekers

Barry Morse (The Fugitive, Space:1999), Diana Muldaur (ST:TOS, ST:TNG, L. A. Law), R. G. Armstrong (Predator, 60's episodic television), Arthur Franz, Paul Comi

A critically wounded officer; a garbled account of glowing, vanishing assailants; a phone call from a physician, who has come to believe in Invaders from space. And David Vincent moves into the center of a widening dragnet.

A subversive, covert group of alien peace seekers searching for David Vincent. Seems similar to the Fifth Column group from "V". What an interesting concept to spring into this series. I wonder if this was to be a thread to be picked up for the following season.. Would have been an interesting development. Would have enjoyed seeing this alien interact with the other leader(Alfred Ryder).

As it is, this is a very good episode. Barry Morse is very believable as an alien who wants only peace. The back story behind the farm also allows R.G. Armstrong to have character growth by the end of this story.

For David Vincent and his new ally, a sadness for what they have lost - and hope for what they may have gained. Already, tens of thousands of miles away, an alien saucer speeds through the void on a mission, not of death, but of life.

I hope the final two are just as good.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 25 - The Pursued

Suzanne Pleshette (The Bob Newhart Show), Will Geer (The Waltons), Gene Lyons (Ironside), Dana Elcar (MacGuyver), Mary Jackson (The Waltons), Barry Williams (The Brady Bunch)

The Sycamore Guest House, Arbor City, Mississippi. Scene of a vicious, senseless killing. David Vincent has been summoned here by a woman he'd never met. Her name: Anne Gibbs. The reason for calling him: she had been marked for death by creatures from an alien planet.

An excellent cast in a stand out story. Suzanne Pleshette is very vulnerable and plays her conflict well. She goes to 100 and back down in the blink of an eye. Amazing performance from all concerned. Nice to see that there are some military bigwigs who actually witness a death. I sure hope the final episode can pay off the story since I am sure it is not a proper conclusion.

Eyewitnesses attesting to the presence of the Invaders. Another piece of the mosaic and soon the pictures that David Vincent sees will be seen by all. Today the road ahead seems not quite so steep.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

S2. Ep. 26 - Inquisition

(Peter) Mark Richman (Longstreet, Dynasty), Susan Oliver (Star Trek:The Cage), John Milford, Robert H. Harris, Stewart Moss

Well, this is it, the last Invaders episode. I am not sure how I want to feel about this episode. I have enjoyed David's journey so far. I realize that I can rewatch anytime, but it has been exciting to be able to pull out a new episode each weekend.

Minutes after the violent death of one of Washington's most beloved Senators, David Vincent and Edgar Scoville are hustled into the office of Special Assistant to the Attorney General Andrew M. Hatcher.

Who doesn't find Susan Oliver stunning? She uses her charms to buy some time or so she thinks. The cast is strong once again. As always, it seems that the aliens are once again ahead of our heroes (knowing who the "believers" are). For an episode of this import, the stakes don't seem very high. The episode doesn't seem to provide any true closure (great for syndication, not for a conclusion). Edgar Scoville shot!!! The secondary story about the imminent attack is just that, secondary. The attack seems like a throwaway plot. Secret guidance system transmitter guarded by just two men and foiled by a bullet (no force field! I guess stupidity is not just a human trait. :)) . I feel that Ep. 24 would have been a more hopeful conclusion.

I had higher hopes for this final episode. I guess they thought they would be returning for a 3rd season. Some groundwork appears to have been laid with the characters portrayed by Alfred Ryder and Barry Morse. I'd like to imagine what could have been. Sorry to see this series end.

And now, Andrew M. Hatcher joins David Vincent in his struggle against the Invaders. Edgar Scoville will recover from his wounds, and these three will be in the vanguard, leading the fight against the Invaders from space - Invaders who must be stopped.

Seems that this last disc has got some really" wobbly" sounding music, detracts from the show.

actionsub

Agent
Real Name
Mike Stidham
3) "And...As...." For example, I just watched a season 7 episode of The FBI, in which Earl Holliman, LQ Jones and Jim Davis were the Guest Stars, and Henry Silva was the Special Guest Star. A few episodes earlier, Jeanette Nolan had the billing, "And Jeanette Nolan as...." It's fun to notice these patterns.

The later "Police Squad!" parody with Leslie Nielsen managed to mash up this QM trademark (even including the announcer for those QM shows) with the opening credits from "M Squad", with everyone in the cast whipping out a snubnose revolver ala Lee Marvin and blasting away. The "and...as" was always Rex Hamilton, who was seen in the credits falling out of a moving car while the announcer intoned, "And Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln..." dressed as the former President, but whipping out a .38 from his period-correct suit.

actionsub

Agent
Real Name
Mike Stidham
Great Idea, Alan...Quinn Martin and his shows deserve a dedicated thread...

Even as a kid, I could tell that "A QM Production" meant Quality Entertainment...as a producer and creative force, Quinn Martin belongs in the ranks of the other Great Television Pioneer Producers...Frederick Ziv (with whom Quinn got his start), Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, etc...

He started his production company after his great success with The Untouchables...and an exclusive development deal with ABC, which needed a steady supply of prospective hits as their Warner produced Westerns and Detective shows began to fade in 1961...

Martin's exclusive deal with ABC came in part due to Desi Arnaz. Martin's first wife, Madelyn Pugh, was one of the chief writers for "I Love Lucy". Arnaz financed the pilot for "The Untouchables", and the Desilu studio coproduced the series with Martin as Exec. Producer.

This is where things get interesting. CBS had a "favored nation status" with Desilu, and generally picked up any product that Desilu pitched. However, VP Hubbell Robinson balked at placing "The Untouchables" on the CBS schedule. (Al Capone's estate suing Desilu and CBS didn't help their cause any.) Despite the patronage of Arnaz, CBS passed on "The Untouchables" and it went to ABC. The success of the show led to ABC making this developmental deal with Martin, which ended up being quite profitable for both QM and ABC over the following years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks