What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Quinn Martin was wisely aware of the future value of his series in the syndicated rerun market. It's one of the reasons why he was nervous about providing an ending to THE FUGITIVE. Virtually all of his series, as was common and proper in those days, were individual hours of self-contained stories so that anyone sitting down to casually catch an episode wouldn't have to study what had gone before.

I prefer that method of storytelling - perhaps it's because that's how it was for most of my life. The notion of serialized stories means that if you miss the first episode of something, chances are you won't be able to jump into it.

Of course, now that streaming and binge-watching are available, I don't see the self-contained stories coming back any time soon.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
But "The Fugitive" is a show that at its core is something mandates having some measure of continuity or forward momentum or else what you end up with is a predictable rut that will burn out your show fast. To me, a show doesn't have to be serialized week to week but it should observe rules of continuity that too often would get ignored. Even "The Fugitive" wasn't free from that when they forgot about younger brother Ray Kimble, or were inconsistent on who prosecuted Kimble etc. though they did try to keep things straight on some basic points. Probably the biggest mistake they made in regard to the last episode was not having the mystery witness be someone who had been introduced unobtrusively in a previous episode.

Had "The Fugitive" NOT ended with some proper closure, then frankly its rewatchability would have been diminished greatly for me. When you don't have some closure to the premise that by its nature must lead to heartbreak for Dr. Kimble week after week, then frankly it makes the episodes a little harder to take on the rewatch. This is why "The Incredible Hulk", the most successful of the Fugitive knockoffs to me is not as fun to revisit because they never advanced things forward (we never even saw Bill Bixby's Gerard like nemesis deduce the truth which was another big mistake that show made) and gave us closure. OTOH with "The Fugitive" I can let myself study the self-contained nuances of each episode BECAUSE I know that eventually all will be right for Dr. Kimble in the end.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I fully agree that THE FUGITIVE needed and deserved its proper ending. The point of my post was just to mention that Quinn Martin was nervous about wrapping up the story and having that devalue the property in syndication. *That* I think was a mistaken notion for the most part, and I'm sure many of us would have loved to have seen a resolution episode for THE INVADERS, but that series was just cancelled after a not-so-stellar second season.

And the ultimate point was that THE FUGITIVE wasn't really a serialized story. Yes, it had an ongoing arc that Kimble had escaped, was not guilty, while being pursued, and while pursuing the man who *did* the murder. But in reality, each hour was pretty much a self-contained story within that framework. New guest stars, new lives to get involved with, an hour of entertainment that could be enjoyed by anyone. The backstory was told in the opening credits of every episode, so you didn't need to know what had come before to enjoy the story.

And the model of being self-contained entertainment was true of just about all of the Quinn Martin shows as it was the style of the times. If memory serves, the first serialized story in network prime-time was probably PEYTON PLACE, and then there was a long gap until shows like DALLAS and DYNASTY became popular.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Actually 'Inquisition' IS a kind of series ending for 'The Invaders'

spolier alert !!

as by the end of the episode the aliens have withdrawn all their key personnel prior to using their special weapon (which Vincent destroys) while the new computer complex Edgar Scoville has can crack their codes...

...and as the narrator advises the special assistant to the Attorney General Andrew Hatcher (Mark Richman) IS finally convinced of the aliens presence on Earth and;

'Andrew Hatcher now joins David Vincent in his crusade, Edgar Scoville will recover from his wounds and these three will form the vanguard against The Invaders...'

so Vincent HAS convinced a major figure in the Government - while other season two latter episodes such as; ''Task Force', 'Counter Attack', 'The Vise', 'The Peacemaker' and 'The Pursued' show that the aliens presence WAS more widely known by key personnel besides just the group of 'believers' especially by the end of each of these episodes...also in 'The Miracle' Vincent obtains an alien weapons device which he successfully returns to his group of 'believers' as evidence

'Inquisition' thus stands as at least the ending of 'phase one' of the aliens planned invasion...and left the show both partially concluded re Vincent's attempts to convince key figures of the aliens presence on Earth and yet still left the door open for any later version to pick up the show's storyline....

...only for the later TV movie to completely waste it's strong cast of Scott Bakula, Terence Knox, and a odd cameo by an elderly Roy Thinnes, utterly fail to pick up on the 'open door' scenario of Quinn Martin's sixties show, present totally different aliens...in a rather naff story !

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I always viewed "Inquisition" as a season-ender rather than a series-ender, so in that sense it provides at least a little closure. Sort of like THE FUGITIVE's "End Game" at the conclusion of Season One. If the show had been cancelled, it at least provided a bit of closure for the audience.

As for that abomination of the TV movie of THE INVADERS, well, the less said, the better...

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I started on season 2 today. Looking forward to completing this journey. I did read Jeff's post above and am looking forward to this season. I have always been curious as to whether this show ended or was left hanging. I see that I will need to view the last ep and make my own choice. I assume that we will still not see the Invaders in their original form. Maybe they returned and troubled Mike Donovan and Juliet Parrish :D.

One question I wonder about, did the aliens take over humans as in Invasion of the Body Snatchers or did they just generate a human body and give it a new identity (as in V). It does seem that all the Invader drones are in jumpsuits similar to V. Obviously I have tried to connect these two series, doing my own Tommy Westphall thing.

The Invaders - Season 2 - In
Color - Episode 1 - Condition:Red

Jason Evers, Antionette Bowers, Mort Mills, Simon Scott, Roy Engel

A physician reports the death of a woman. Two hours later, her husband, a NORAD Major, reports her very much alive. The news accounts attracted no particular attention. But David Vincent knew that an alien, unconscious without pulse or heartbeat, might easily be mistaken for dead, even by a doctor. So he arranged to visit NORAD's Combat Operation's Center, 1,400 feet below Cheyenne Mountain and a natural target for the Invaders.

Great 60's cast (several who guested on Star Trek). Once again we have a story where David is considered an expert by some fairly high ranking military strategists. They are not surprised to find David coming to NORAD, but almost throw out the welcome mat for him. A good way to begin the season. I thought this was an excellent premier.

Can't help but think of Wargames since both were set at NORAD. Relatively nice graphic US map in the war room, seems very reminiscent of Wargames. Good use of the map during the "uncovered" invasion, nice suspenseful scene. I really liked the final exchange between David and Maj. Stanhope.

The Invader has lost a battle. But David Vincent knows that, somewhere in space, new strategies are already being devised. For the war has only begun.

Episode 2 - The Saucer

Anne Francis (The Fugitive - The One That Got Away), Charles Drake (The Fugitive - The One That Got Away), Sandy Kenyon, Dabney Coleman

A man has seen a flying saucer - an old and familiar story to David Vincent. But John Carter swears he can predict the day and place when another saucer will land. If true, he could bring to an end Vincent's continuing war against the Invaders.

The two leads played similar characters in the Fugitive episode listed above. I guess when you work for QM, you can work across the board. Nice to see them again.

Here we have a real opportunity for the world to finally discover what David knows. Seems the limits of episodic television require certain things from being done. If this were a real invasion, would the hero really pass up a chance for intel by giving in to heroic measures. Shouldn't Annie have been sacrificed? If David is such a well known threat to the aliens, why is he continually allowed to escape. Wouldn't they have a "Shoot to Kill" order in place.

Outside of these questions, I thought this was also another entertaining episode. We seem to be learning a bit more about the aliens and their machinery. I am still impressed by the special effects being utilized to make the saucer as real as possible for a mid 60's television show. Nice to see Dabney Coleman as a believer. Interesting parallels in the initial conversation with David as they await the arrival of the saucer.

Two others have seen what David Vincent has seen. Two others now know that flying saucers do exist. The search for Congressman Bonning and Police Chief Thorne will continue for months. Because of their disappearance, dozens of others will begin to wonder, reluctantly believe, what David Vincent knows is true: that alien beings from another galaxy now walk the face of the Earth.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Actually, you can look forward to episode five in the second season, "The Enemy" for a glimpse at the invaders true form.

I will wait until I view the episode. Just curious, is it the actual Invader or just what happens if they don't return to the regeneration chamber on time?

I guess I will see when I get to episode 5.

Thanks for the heads up, Harry.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I stated 'spoiler alert' in my earlier post so as not to spoil it for anyone new to the show

if you go back and look at 'Genesis' in season one it's made clear the aliens are 'alien' beings - Dr. Leneer is 'reverting' as something went wrong with his regeneration - and as the opening narration says these Invaders have TAKEN human form so they are not jumping into human bodies as such just look like humans (besides the deformed little finger of course) while in 'Vikor' a guy dies after witnessing a 'glowing man' as an alien regenerates into it's human form in front of his eyes

the Invaders can only keep their human form for so long before they need to regenerate - the forthcoming episode; 'Counter Attack' uses this point

season two has some really great episodes, and there is the feeling that the aliens presence IS by now becoming wider known as the show progresses with a little less of Vincent being just dismissed as a 'crank' and more witnesses surviving to back up Vincent's claims - notably in episodes; 'Labyrinth', 'The Trial', and especially 'The Pursued' - while a few episodes such as 'The Enemy', 'Panic', 'The Miracle' and most notably 'The Life Seekers' take the show's premise into another area too re the aliens...

Last edited:

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
re David Vincent - after trying to kill him in 'Beach Head' pilot episode, then trying to control him in 'The Experiment'...it is curious how the aliens DON'T later try to kill him on many occasions when they easily could

there are a few exceptions such as in 'Genesis', 'Nightmare', 'The Condemned' and later in 'The Prophet' (mainly when Vincent gets into a fight with an alien) but it does seem that later the aliens do seem to fear that Vincent's death would somehow draw too much attention (?)

they even try to hoodwink him a couple of times as in 'The Innocent' and in later episodes (I won't say which) that they are not that bad a bunch really....and even appear willing to work WITH Vincent in two episodes - which seems strange considering his stance against them

this might be just uneven writing by differing writers - and episodic TV can suffer from that as it's intended as WEEKLY viewing, so by say episode 23 you will not recall episode 5 that much etc (they wern't expecting future folks to be quickly going through a DVD set of the entire show !)

- tho' despite the odd inconsistancy here and there and an occasional 're-set' of Vincent's position (like as in a few episodes he's convinced key figures in the USAF then suddenly you get one where he's again just seen as a 'crank' etc) overall the show does work pretty well when taken in a mass viewing of it's episodes

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

Season 2 - Episode 3 - The Watchers

Kevin McCarthy (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), Shirley Knight, Leonard Stone, John Zaremba (Time Tunnel)

The manager of a famed resort hotel has been driven to suicide by the delusion that alien beings had taken over his hotel. Convinced that the man's story was no delusion, David Vincent promptly traveled to the small Virginia airport.

What an opening!!! Great way to set the tone for the episode. Watching the aliens view Cook reminded me of all the Trek episodes where the crew watched the main viewer to sse the action and the action moved as the show did (close-ups and all) even though the camera was stationary :huh: . Nice to see the call back to Invasion of ...; with Cook being "replaced". This was a well paced episode. A great way to spend an hour. Nice change of pace with all of the various 60's cliches (body double, blindness) and it was co-written by John-boy himself (Earl Hamner Jr).

David Vincent will seek out the Invader again, facing a world that cannot believe him, not quite so alone now. For he has found another who does believe: a girl of courage and spirit; a girl of vision.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

Season 2 - Episode 4 - Valley of the Shadow

Nan Martin, Harry Townes, Ron Hayes, Joe Maross, Ted Knight, Jon Lormer, James B. Sikking

Carterville, Wyoming, once a processing center for copper mines, now a relic. Population: 1,216. Principal features: the Laramie Mountains on the south, the North Platte River on the north. Principal industry: contemplation of the past. In its 71 years, Carterville has had only four murder cases. The latest, committed by a member of an alien race, will never be recorded in the history books.

I truly enjoyed this episode as it uses everything we know about the aliens and then sends it sideways. For once, David has all the witnesses he needs. The accused alien sets everything in motion when he calls his "lawyer". It is a huge call for help and his comrades supply what he needs by kidnapping/killing the Air Force investigators coming to Vincent's aid. This was the twist, the replacement Captain seems very sympathetic to the townsfolk and appears to regret what must be done. I assume that is what David seizes on when he asks for an alternative. It was a nice change up to the "kill at any cost" aliens we have previously been exposed to. It was nice to see some mutual respect and collaboration. Wouldn't it have been nice if that spirit grew and brought the two groups together instead of staying enemies?

Excellent episode and well played by all.

Carterville, Wyoming. Principal industry: contemplation of the past. Population: 1,216 people, all unaware that they have been given back their future.

Note:
The location shoot sure seemed to me that it was the location of Hill Valley, Ca., home to Marty McFly and Doc Brown. Sure looked like the infamous clock tower.

Last edited:

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
yeah 'Valley of The Shadow' is one of the episodes where they begin to 'change the ball game' re the aliens a little (it is previously shown way back in 'The Mutant' that not ALL of the aliens are out to kill humanity and are without feeling remorse etc) as Joe Maross chief alien - despite presumably killing the USAF Major and taking his place (tho' James B. Sikking and aid could be left somewhere just tied up and gagged in their long johns for all we know !) - is NOT mega ruthless or emotionless at all and clearly does NOT like the idea of a mass murder of humans

- this idea re the aliens not all being single minded re humanity's destruction is followed up later - and we see Vincent actually working WITH the chief alien to 'erase' the fateful day....

the 'town cut off idea' echoes both 'The Outer Limits'; 'A Feasibility Study' and Twilight Zone's; 'The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street' episodes....

.....while the solution to the problem is pure 'Twilight Zone' (and both 'The Outer Limits'; 'The Man Who Was Never Born' and the later 'Land of The Giants' episode; 'Wild Journey' re events seemingly never occurring etc...)

a terrific guest cast here makes for one of the most memorable episodes

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

Season 2 - Episode 5 - The Enemy (Trivia - this ep. aired on 10-03-67, the day before my 10th birthday)

Barbara Barrie (Barney Miller), Richard Anderson (6 Million Dollar Man), Paul Mantee (Robinson Crusoe on Mars), Gene Lyons (Ambassador Fox from Trek, Ironside)

For two days, planes have crossed and re-crossed the Utah wilderness, searching for some clue to the fiery object witnesses swore plunged from the sky. But the planes find nothing and the investigation is called off. Only one man continues the search. For somewhere in the forbidding mountains may be the remains of an alien spacecraft.

I appreciate any opportunity to see Richard Anderson guest on any series, a very good actor who always seems to elevate any story he is in. I really enjoyed this episode, especially the set up. I thought that the Viet Nam background understated the nurse's reasons for looking at the invader as a pacifist. I totally believed her when she came to believe Vincent, her portrayal of betrayal was very believable. A very fine episode.

I wonder if the aliens are just a huge mass or if they have another form as alien. I wonder if the show continued if we would ever have seen their complete "true" form?

David Vincent's war is unrecognized, unheralded. The battlefield can be anywhere - anywhere the Invader has carved out a foothold. David Vincent's war will have no ending until the Invader is driven back to his own world - or until he makes David Vincent's world his own.

Season 2 - Episode 6 - The Trial

Don Gordon, Russell Johnson (the Professor), Harold Gould (The Sting, Rhoda's Dad), Malcolm Atterbury (a QM regular),
Lynda Day George (Mission:Impossible)

David Vincent, brought to Jackson City by the report of alien presence, must now help a friend account of the absence of that alien. At 2:00 this afternoon, Charles Gilman goes on trial for the murder of Fred Wilk.

Another fine cast with an interesting take on the "courtroom" cliche. It is not David on trial, but a friend of his who has a grudge with an alien and kills him. His friend gets a court appointed attorney who is trying to build a case that the victim is not human. An interesting defense that actually is given credence by the judge. Probably not very realistic in an actual court, but it does work for the story. I thought that the misdirect in this episode worked very well. I was totally misled as to who the alien actually was. Interesting in that David actually recruits some new believers and highly placed ones at that.

Three more witnesses to testify in David Vincent's behalf, when he has his day in court - when he presents his case to the authorities proving the existence of alien Invaders.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Invaders

Season 2 - Episode 7 - The Spores

Gene Hackman (The French Connection, Unforgiven), Patricia Smith, John Randolph (Conquest of the Planet of the Apes), Wayne Rogers (M*A*S*H), James Gammon

Shortly before dawn, a spaceship landed near Phillipsburg, Colorado, bringing to Earth a strange and ominous cargo: two dozen spores. After exposure to the Earth's atmosphere, each will develop and grow into a perfectly formed alien. On the success of this experiment rests the possibility of future shipments numbering hundreds, perhaps thousands, of alien Invaders and possibility the future of the human race.

Wow, bad body doubles in the fight scene ;) . Got that out of the way. Other than that, the episode was very good. Good drama as well as bordering on broad comedy with the suitcase (button, button, who's got the button?). I feel this episode handled the serious and comedic very well. Great to see Gene Hackman in this one, brought the goods to the episode. Nice exchange between Vincent and the Sgt. about turning in the report. Interesting sight for what the spores begin growing into. Pods again, reminded me a bit of the end of the Invasion remake.

The destruction of the alien spores becomes a major victory for David Vincent - a continuing, relentless war in which victories are few.

Season 2 - Episode 8 - Dark Outpost

Andrew Prine (Dr. Kimble's brother, V), Dawn Wells (Mary Ann), Tim McIntire, Whit Bissell (Time Tunnel), William Sargent

An ambulance wrecked on a California highway, its two attendants dead. Cause of death: in both cases, cerebral hemorrhage. To the world, a bizarre coincidence. To David Vincent, much more.

Sure like to see Gen. Heywood in these old shows. Interesting to see him as the villain of this one. Always very pleasant to see Dawn Wells, such a beauty. This one has some interesting touches, David is not dismissed as a kook. The hypnotism "execution" was very interesting in that it is viewed three different ways. This is another different type of story. This season seems interested in trying various stories. I enjoyed the change of pace for this outing. It seemed that the aliens did not really wish to kill the humans and were doing so only as a last resort.

The Army report will be thorough and painstaking. But without proof, its conclusions will be negative. And David Vincent resumes his war against the high command of another army - the army of alien Invaders.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
yes fine second season episodes - some claim The Invaders 'got boring' and predictable by season 2 but that's not true

also note MORE people are surviving witnesses re the aliens presence here...'The Trial', 'Dark Outpost' and future episodes see not only more people but key people in important positions become living witnesses for; 'David Vincent's day in court'....

going back to the ending of 'The Fugitive' - the 'Judgment' 2 part conclusion all takes place in a matter of a few days after Fred Johnson's arrest for trashing the bar in LA suddenly blows the old Kimble case wide open....

so it's very possible Kimble's younger brother Ray (Andrew Prine) might have been away car racing...possibly at Le Mans or at Daytona etc when the case explodes.... - true they should have covered that angle by having Donna say to Kimble something like; 'I'll wire Ray in.... (wherever) to let him know...' as they leave the court house at the end, but it's still quite feasible Ray Kimble did still exist but was away from Stafford car racing etc...

there are legal teams too so Rand AND Ballinger might both have been part of the prosecution team at Kimble's original trial so again that angle can be explained

but whatever happened to Gerard's boss Capt Carpenter (Paul Birch) should have been explained...even if just to say he'd retired etc

Gerard's wife is named Ann Gerard in 'Never Wave Goodbye' (1963) but Marie Gerard by 'Landscape With Running Figures' (1965) - tho' her full name might be Ann-Marie of course....and they could have two young sons, we see one in 'Never Wave Goodbye' and young Kurt Russell's character the other son Phil jnr in 'Nemesis' (1964) later on...

...BUT they really ought to have got the DATE of Helen Kimble's murder consistent tho'
- it varies between 17th and 19th September 1961...!

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The one inconsistency in Part 2 of "The Judgment" that there was zero excuse for is that at one point Leonard Taft tells Donna to leave the kids with "your mother." I don't think the writer realized that by saying "your mother" he's also by extension meaning Richard Kimble's mother who is previously established as dead!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The one inconsistency in Part 2 of "The Judgment" that there was zero excuse for is that at one point Leonard Taft tells Donna to leave the kids with "your mother." I don't think the writer realized that by saying "your mother" he's also by extension meaning Richard Kimble's mother who is previously established as dead!
I once asked George Eckstein about this. He said THE JUDGMENT was the most rushed script he ever worked on. I replied that I always assumed they'd been working on the finale for a long time. He said no--they had ten days, and other than knowing Kimble is acquitted, it was a blank slate.

When I gave him my VHS of THE JUDGMENT to sign (1990), he was very surprised it had been released on VHS and said he was going to look into "my royalties."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks