What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
For the two-hour expanded Streets shows, did the fifth act have an "Act V" title?
vlcsnap-2018-05-16-15h58m55s890.png

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
IIRC from watching the Barnaby Jones set, the two-part or double-length episodes were divided into 7 acts, not 8.
Quite right. I stand corrected. Just checked and there are only seven act breaks in the two hour segments. I was just assuming the same format applied, but there must have been one less commercial break on those for that to be that way.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
What happened in the early 70's anyway in regards to presenting a strong female detective? After several in the 60's, Cathy Gale, Honey West, Emma Peel, Cinnamon Carter, we had to wait until the mid to late 70's for Charlie's Angels, Get Christie Love and Police Woman.

Two fantastic ladies, Lee Meriwether and Barbara Anderson were superb on Mission:Impossible as women who were capable of going undercover and into dangerous situations in roles traditionally portrayed by men on television. Their talents were wasted on Ironside and Barnaby Jones for the most part.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
717 “Dance with Death”

Seems like every show goes disco when it hits this timeline on the calendar. Fist Hawaii Five-O and now the Barnaby boys! Kinda fun. Certainly colorful.

View attachment 46383
I have to ask. Did Barnaby do any dancing? I'd love to see him bust a move considering he was a dancer.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Two fantastic ladies, Lee Meriwether and Barbara Anderson were superb on Mission:Impossible as women who were capable of going undercover and into dangerous situations in roles traditionally portrayed by men on television. Their talents were wasted on Ironside and Barnaby Jones for the most part.

And you probably didn't know this, but Lee Meriwether is a relative of my mother's!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
And you probably didn't know this, but Lee Meriwether is a relative of my mother's!
No, I didn't. I hope I don't come across as disrespectful. I think she is a very talented actress. And to see her in such a reduced role for the many years she was on Barnaby Jones is frustrating. I have a big issue with the character of JR in the back half of Barnaby Jones. There was no reason why Betty could not have done the same role.

If anyone hasn't seen her in season four of Mission:Impossible, you are missing out. She should have been the permanent replacement for Barbara Bain.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I always liked Lee Meriwether (very cool that you're related to her, Ben!) Even if her talents weren't really stretched in Barnaby Jones, it was a regular paycheck. She was an actress who never seemed to be short of work, at least in her heyday. Sadly, she was also rather wasted in The Time Tunnel, but at least she played a scientist. Also enjoyed her performance as Rock Hudson's wife in The Undefeated (another role that didn't tax her skills overly, but in which she was very proficient.)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
718 “The Protectors”

Barnaby is so gracious and so modest. He doesn’t have a big ego or a quick temper. When he’s on the screen, he commands my attention. But…

Barnaby asked for lemonade, not milk! Okay. Where’s Barnaby and what have you done with him? Invasion of the Barnaby Snatchers!

718.JPG

And that BACKWARD car chase was terrific, one of the best TV car chases I’ve seen. Something frustrating about the last few episodes is when someone is trying to stalk Betty and they pull up beside her in their car, all Betty has to do is slow down. But she just goes faster, which is the worse thing to do. Here, not only does Barnaby’s cool driver slow down, he backs up, then maneuvers them into a position to chase the bad guys! So great when Buddy Ebsen is onscreen most of the episode because the writing is smart!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
719 “Fatal Overture”

Wow. We had this exact wallpaper in the house I grew up in. It was hanging there when we watched this episode. I wonder if me or my dad commented on that way back then. Seeing the wallpaper took me back nearly 40 years in a flash. Some of these episodes, if only for a few precious seconds, are as good as a true-blue time machine!

719.JPG

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
That’s one of my favorite things about older shows, they are like a time machine. Whether it’s wallpaper, furniture, cars, architecture, clothing fashion, hairstyles, early technology etc.
In my case, though, I'm still living in the house I grew up in. It's a thrill for me to watch something I remember seeing as a kid and thinking as to how I was sitting in this very living room. My TV is even in the same spot except the 25" console has been replaced by a 55" LED.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
720 “Master of Deception”

It’s great to see Glen Corbett, although I prefer him as a good guy (like Zefram Cochrane!). But what I really like about his character here is: he’s smart. When Barnaby believes Corbett’s wife is dead, Corbett hires an actress to impersonate his wife and leave a message on his answering machine. Then, when the actress tries to blackmail Corbett, he says that if she believes he killed his wife, what makes her think he won’t kill her? Well, the actress brought a bodyguard. Another smart character. So Corbett says fine, then uses her to con someone else! I love it. When I see good writing this, it makes me want to write something good.

720.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks