What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Since the current atmosphere is for rebooting previous series like Hawaii Five-O, MacGyver, and the upcoming Magnum, P.I., I wondered what Quinn Martin series you'd all consider a good possibility for a reboot?

My choice: The Streets of San Francisco.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
In another vein: I thought I'd known about all of QM's series, even the one season or less series, but I discovered one that I didn't know about. (Or maybe forgotten?)

Anyone else heard of this:

Bert D'Angelo Superstar

Bert D'Angelo/Superstar is an American police drama that aired on ABC on Saturday Nights from February 21 to July 10, 1976. The series was produced by Quinn Martin. The series spun off from The Streets of San Francisco, although the episode which introduced the character had its first airing on March 4, 1976, after the spinoff premiered.

Actors: Stefanie Powers, Paul Sorvino, Robert Pine, Dennis Patrick

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Martin, I like that you give lead billing on Bert D'Angelo Superstar to Stephanie Powers (I would too)...I don't remember watching the show back in the day, but that time period represents somewhat of a black hole in my tv watching memories as I was in the Army working 25 hours a day overseas. In Jonathan Etter's book Quinn Martin, Producer (McFarland 2003, 222pgs.), the chapter on this series is all of 3 pages long.

But as you stated, you can at least get a taste for the show by watching The Streets of San Francisco season 4 episode "Superstar" (Mar. 4, 1976) where the character was first introduced and the series launched. According to the book, the middling ratings for Bert D'Angelo, Superstar, the difficulties of working with Sorvino (some reports a Prima Donna) and the explosive ratings that spring for the Most Wanted pilot telefilm all were factors in QM deciding to dump the series in favor of Most Wanted the following season.

Besides The New Breed, which is my most wanted missing QM show, I would much prefer QM's two 1930s period tv series, Banyon ('72-73) and Manhunter ('74-75) to somehow see the light of day again. Banyon is owned by WB, so maybe it will emerge from the Archive. I've asked them about it on WAC's Facebook page and received the "not at this time" response. Hopefully, Manhunter might come from the weird and slow CBS MOD program or be licensed by a third party. Sadly not likely.

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
According to the book, the middling ratings for Bert D'Angelo, Superstar, the difficulties of working with Sorvino (some reports a Prima Donna) and the explosive ratings that spring for the Most Wanted pilot telefilm all were factors in QM deciding to dump the series in favor of Most Wanted the following season.

Sorvino was reportedly a problem during his Law & Order tenure as well. His exit after one season and change meant the coming of Jerry Orbach and Lennie Briscoe. The whole atmosphere around the show settled down after Orbach's entrance.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
People keep bringing up Paul Sorvino's temperament. So...I'll relate this story: A friend of mine drove into the (now) Pavilion's grocery store in West Hollywood in the 90's and while his car was stationary, Paul Sorvino ran into him, got out of his car and started yelling at my friend blaming him for the incident and trying to get nearby people to agree with him. Fortunately a bystander who saw the whole thing called him out on it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
People keep bringing up Paul Sorvino's temperament. So...I'll relate this story: A friend of mine drove into the (now) Pavilion's grocery store in West Hollywood in the 90's and while his car was stationary, Paul Sorvino ran into him, got out of his car and started yelling at my friend blaming him for the incident and trying to get nearby people to agree with him. Fortunately a bystander who saw the whole thing called him out on it.

Why would Paul blame your friend when Paul was the one who ran into your friend's car?

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
For those of you who like details and movie details, I invite you to watch this clip
and you will notice the movie poster of a famous WB cop film entitled Dirty Harry
during the arrest of two punks in the cinema theater: starting at 01:26. Enjoy!

The FBI: The Complete Seventh Season (Preview Clip)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Saw a second-season episode of Cannon last night that had former game show host Tom Kennedy as a talk show host by the name of Tommy Corbin (and yes, Tom Kennedy was a real-life talk show host at one time w/The Real Tom Kennedy Show in 1970): "Moving Target," OAD Wed. Jan. 31, 1973 on CBS (screencaps of Tom's appearance, and his credit in the closing credits of that episode, captured from VEI condensed all-in-one of Cannon, third disc of second season)...

tomkennedycannon1.jpg
tomkennedycannon2.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I watched it back then and it was fun, at least, back then. It was QM attempted to cash in the Roger Moore as James Bond trend.
The sidekick of Sloane was a kind of a nod to Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.

Update
The sidekick of Sloane was derived from a foe character that you found in To Live and Let Die.

Find a clip
Crocodile Farm Escape (Live And Let Die)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Once again I found myself up in the middle of the night last night. On MeTV, I caught the tail ends of a S2 MANNIX and then CANNON started right away. It was a S3 episode called "Duel In The Desert" and it held my interest enough to stick with it all the way.

This on had Cannon making a money drop in the middle of the night to a blackmailer. At a restaurant he catches a glimpse of Joan Van Ark who gets up to call the blackmailer to alert him that Cannon was there. After another drop location goes squirrely and Cannon gets thwacked on the head, we next see him in the middle of a desert, passed out and without memory.

Well, he gets taken to a small desert town...

I love private eye stories where the hero ends up in a small town. I also like stories where the hero loses his memory - and this had both! The episode boasted great guest stars like Van Ark and James Wainwright and Denver Pyle.

It's almost enough to get me to order a CANNON box set.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve

I enjoyed seeing Mark Hamill in the season four Streets premiere. That was 1975. If it wasn't the last thing Hamill shot before Star Wars, it had to be close. Hamill appeared in Cannon in 1971 and The FBI in 1972.

Actually, I believe Mark Hamill's last televised role before Star Wars was the pilot episode of EIGHT IS ENOUGH, which aired on March 15, 1977. The SoSF episode aired on September 11, 1975.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Actually, I believe Mark Hamill's last televised role before Star Wars was the pilot episode of EIGHT IS ENOUGH, which aired on March 15, 1977. The SoSF episode aired on September 11, 1975.
Yes, but I didn't say aired, I said shot. My point being trying to figure out what the last thing he shot for TV was before cameras rolled on Star Wars on March 22, 1976 (I think).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks