What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
708 “Stages of Fear”

I love that Betty gets an episode where she’s really the star—literally.

But look who guest stars—a very young Jonathan Frakes. I purposefully took this exact screen grab to show that even ten years before STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, Frakes was already tilting his head when he walked out of scenes. He did it all the time in TNG—and he’s doing it here!

708 Stages.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
709 “Victim of Love”

709.JPG

This was the most tightly written episode of the season so far, IMO. Intelligent bad guy who did everything in his power to advance his agenda. And the mother wasn’t stupid. JR walks a nice line between being “too nice” and tough when he needs to be. I wish Buddy Ebsen had more scenes but when he’s on screen, it’s just magic.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
711 “The Picture Pirates”

I liked the premise of Picture Pirates, where thieves steal pre-release prints, copy and bootleg them. It’s certainly relevant today. I guess, sadly, some things will never change.

View attachment 46230
Just a few short years later, the premise of bootlegging would again be addressed on The Dukes of Hazzard. I believe it was Mickey Gilley performing a concert. We all know his cousin, Jerry Lee Lewis, was quite opinionated about bootleg tapes!

As the story goes - this was actually printed on many stock inner sleeves of Phonogram labeled vinyl record albums (Phonogram owned the Mercury, Phillips, Fontana and Smash! labeled record albums in the early '70s) as an early anti-piracy warning. It goes along the lines of this. While Jerry Lee Lewis was getting a fill-up at a gas station, he noticed a rack of 8-Track tapes for display. Upon further examination, he discovered that the tapes contained his latest music – but they obviously didn’t come from his record company (Mercury, at that time.)

“Where did these tapes come from?” he asked the gas station attendant.

“Some guy brings ‘em here each week.”

“Oh he does, does he?” With that, Lewis grabbed a tire iron and smashed the rack and bootleg 8-tracks to pieces.

The attendant freaked out, “What the hell am I going to tell the guy when he comes for his money on Monday?”

Lewis got back in his car. “Tell them the Killer was here,” he said, driving off.

http://historysdumpster.blogspot.com/2012/07/8-track-tape-head-warning-some-images.html

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
713 “The Medium”

A hammer wielding bad guy and a medium didn’t mix for me on this one. This is the first Barnaby Jones episode this season--and maybe for the entire run so far--that was hard to watch. If Ebsen had been in it more, I surely could have stomached it better.

713.JPG

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
714 “Echo of a Distant Battle, Pt.1”

Wow. Five minutes in and the best shot of all time, Mr. Barnaby Jones, kills an innocent bystander with a ricochet in a parking garage. Holy cow. This is fantastic. Barnaby just realized what he’d done when I took this screen grab.

714 Pt 1.JPG

Ebsen’s performance in this at the halfway point is great. This is why I love Barnaby Jones! It’s shaping up to be a great two-parter…

Technical note: This episode is close to being complete, if not totally complete.

But wow this was great!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
715 “Echo of a Distant Battle, Pt. 2”

This lost a little steam but it’s still very enjoyable about halfway through. I loved the booby trap. Smart! I love smart characters.

I think this would have been an outstanding single episode, but IMO its diluted nature hurt its narrative drive. I still thought the opening of part one was superb.

I love to see the act numbers because it almost always means the episode isn't largely butchered.

715.JPG

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The young lady on the left is Terri Nunn, who later was part of the group "Berlin" who performed the big hit "Take My Breath Away" from the movie TOP GUN.

Yes, Terri Nunn was in contention for the role of Princess Leia as well. I believe there is some footage on some of the Star Wars docs were she is auditioning. Or, watch the clip below.

I also have an excuse to show off another autograph from my collection.
img20180515_21411517.jpg

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I'm pretty sure this aired in a two hour format on network TV. That's the reason for eight act breaks instead of four. The Streets Of San Fransisco did the same for a two hour segment.

IIRC from watching the Barnaby Jones set, the two-part or double-length episodes were divided into 7 acts, not 8.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
716 “The Enslaved”

Another episode where Betty goes undercover. Maybe one too many in such a short span of episodes. But then again, maybe it’s a short span because I’m watching one a day instead of one a week!

But I will say this: When Barnaby puts on his hat and gets out his pole, I really want to go fishing with him!

716.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks