What's new

A Quinn Martin Production (1 Viewer)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
720 “Master of Deception”

It’s great to see Glen Corbett, although I prefer him as a good guy ...
View attachment 46448

I just caught him in a Streets of San Francisco, not a bad guy per se ... just flawed and criminally negligent.

S. 2 - Ep. 20 - Inferno

Two firemen are killed in a warehouse fire, one of them Stone's friend, and he and Keller are drawn into an arson investigation.

Glenn Corbett, Barry Sullivan ( The Immortal), John Larch (QM regular), Katherine Justice

I really enjoy seeing some of my favorite Star Trek guests in other shows. I was surprised that Corbett played the gambling addicted criminal in this one. He played it very well though, better than the perpetually angry father in the Night Gallery episode, Brenda (also viewed this weekend).

Pretty good episode even though a tad predictable. Excellent performances from all involved.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
720 “Master of Deception”

It’s great to see Glen Corbett, although I prefer him as a good guy (like Zefram Cochrane!). But what I really like about his character here is: he’s smart. When Barnaby believes Corbett’s wife is dead, Corbett hires an actress to impersonate his wife and leave a message on his answering machine. Then, when the actress tries to blackmail Corbett, he says that if she believes he killed his wife, what makes her think he won’t kill her? Well, the actress brought a bodyguard. Another smart character. So Corbett says fine, then uses her to con someone else! I love it. When I see good writing this, it makes me want to write something good.

Always liked Glenn Corbett. Never seen him play a bad guy before, though. Aside from Star Trek, I'm used to him playing good guys in later-period westerns (Big Jake, Chisum, Shenandoah, etc.)...and, of course, as Linc Case, George Maharis' replacement on Route 66. Not an acting firebrand, perhaps, but always solid. Would like to see him tangle with Barnaby.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Always liked Glenn Corbett. Never seen him play a bad guy before, though. Aside from Star Trek, I'm used to him playing good guys in later-period westerns (Big Jake, Chisum, Shenandoah, etc.)...and, of course, as Linc Case, George Maharis' replacement on Route 66. Not an acting firebrand, perhaps, but always solid. Would like to see him tangle with Barnaby.

One of my favorite episodes of Petrocelli is a second-season one that has involved Glenn Corbett, and is called "Five Yards of Trouble"-- he played Charles Royer in that one.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
721 “A Short, Happy Life”

In my opinion, with a few scant exceptions, the guest stars this season are nothing to write home about. But a good part and a fun actress can create a character like Foxy. I liked her. Being Betty’s cousin, I hope she returns again next season. She’s tough, funny, and authentic.

721.JPG

swan4022

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I have been re-watching The FBI season 2 this month, and came across one of the series' strongest, "The Assassin" with William Windom. I feel this is the year the show was at its peak in terms of writing, character development, and compelling action, with a slow and consistent decline starting after season 3-4. I need to do a little research to find out why Stephen Brooks left after the 2nd season.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
722 “Child of Love, Child of Vengeance, Pt 1”

Boy I was complaining about lackluster guest stars yesterday and now Pat Hingle and Joann Lindville show up! This promises to be a fun, tight two-part episode!

View attachment 46483

View attachment 46484

Pat Hingle subsequently became Commissioner Gordon in the 1989 Batman film that had Michael Keaton as Batman, and this is the one that I would deem to be the best of the modern Batman films.

BTW, which version of the Barnaby Jones all-in-one do you have-- the original one with the flip top and individual seasonal cases, or the condensed one?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
BTW, which version of the Barnaby Jones all-in-one do you have-- the original one with the flip top and individual seasonal cases, or the condensed one?
I have the flip top box and never regretted buying it. despite the set's flaws, I have gotten so much enjoyment out of it. As I approach the close of the penultimate season, the show may not be what it once was, but I am still enjoying it.

723 “Child of Love, Child of Vengeance, Pt 2”

Part two was solid. Barnaby, JR and Betty all had important parts to play. Really good balance for the second half of a two parter.

723.JPG

Pat Hingle was the perfect choice for the insane cult leader, for one reason because he played it calm and cool till the end.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wow, Pat Hingle plays a Cult Leader in QM's Barnaby Jones? Just as he did some ten years earlier on QM's The Invaders! In season two's "The Prophet". Another charismatic and dangerous cult leader, Brother Avery, albeit sponsored by Alien Invaders. I haven't seen Barnaby Jones since first run, and probably only the first three seasons. I will pick up the complete series at some point. Good ol' Buddy Ebsen!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the flip top box and never regretted buying it. despite the set's flaws, I have gotten so much enjoyment out of it. As I approach the close of the penultimate season, the show may not be what it once was, but I am still enjoying it.

I felt the same way about Wanted: Dead or Alive-- that CBS Western in its third and final year (1960-61) was much different than it was at the top of the run, but it was still entertaining enough for me to finish.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Streets of San Francisco
S. 2 Ep. 21 - The Hard Breed

Two "Gunsmoke" writers teamed on this modern-day Western set at a rodeo in San Francisco's Cow Palace. A bronc rider dies in what appears to be an accident. A rodeo clown looks around the scene after the police leave and discovers the rider's rope -- which was cut almost halfway through before it broke, leaving the bronc free to throw him. The police come back to investigate the scene, and before long the chief suspect is also murdered in another "accident."

Jim Davis (Dallas), Noah Beery, Jr. (The Rockford Files), Harry Carey, Jr., Lane Bradbury, Sam Elliot (Frogs, Justified, Tombstone)

Pretty interesting to update a western theme into a current detective series. Nice cast who seemed fully engaged in their characters. Once the girl was asked about her future plans, I felt like I knew the killers identity. I still enjoyed watching our heroes figure it out.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Streets of San Francisco
S. 2 Ep. 22 - Rampage

An old college friend of Steve's is now a father - and part of a vigilante group fed up with the rampant crime in their neighborhood. Their latest crackdown, however, leaves a police informer dead.

Robert Hooks (Star Trek III, N.Y.P.D.), Janet MacLachlan, Joe Santos (The Rockford Files, Magnum, p.i.), Joe Maross, Steven Keats, Rafeal Campos (V), George Murdock (Barney Miller), and in a small role Ron Glass (Barney Miller, Firefly)

Socially relevant episode aired in February (Sweeps???). Can cops protect "all" citizens equally? This episode takes a stab at topicality. Sad that it still appears to be a timely concern. Is vigilantism the answer? Lots of interesting ideas submitted for consideration. An episode that asks questions but doesn't seem to be able to give us a happy ending. At least it is a hopeful ending.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Streets of San Francisco
S. 2 Ep. 23 - Death And The Favored Few

Stone and Keller investigate the murder of a society publisher whose method was to coerce subscriptions from wealthy clients by blackmailing them. The investigation leads the detective to a wealthy woman and her daughter, who were among the ones being blackmailed and who still have secrets to hide.

Rosemary Murphy, Leslie Charleson (General Hospital), Greg Mullavey (Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman), Frank Marth (Dirty Dozen: The Series), Harold Gould, (The Sting, Rhoda, Petrocelli)

2nd season finale. Pretty good mystery and the reveal was pretty special. Love as the motive for getting rid of a parasite. Very interesting story.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Looks like you had a pretty good time there!
Yes I did. I usually have a great time when I'm with my best friend, who also happens to be the woman I married many years ago! She can quote lines from The Fugitive and Star Trek and Star Wars--loves soundtracks, and even has her own custom made working light saber.... (the blade matches our school color, where we met once upon a time).

Jo Anna Grant TCU Lightsaber.JPG

Now to the season finale of Barnaby Jones....

725 “Temptation”

I noticed John Carter directed an episode a while back, and here he is getting guest star billing. Good for him.

725.JPG

I don’t think I have the final season of Barnaby in me right now. Ebsen's just not in the show enough. But I'm glad I finished season seven. It's something I'd been wanting to do for a while. And I still have season eight to look forward to someday.

Some leftover Barnaby screen grabs....

b.JPG

c.JPG

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Enjoying your posts as usual, Alan! Doug's reviews and everyone's thoughts on all things QM. Love that you had your Star Fleet T shirt on! Vasquez Rocks is one of those places that all vintage tv fans recognize and love for the innumerable times that location has been used on our beloved tv shows. I first went there in the late '70s on my tour to see where Kirk and the Gorn had dueled from Star Trek, of course. And where the Zanti Misfits landed, ha, ha...And for all the times it had been used for Science Fiction and Western tv and movies. I also went to Bronson Canyon, Griffith Park, Franklin Canyon, Iverson Ranch, Paramount, WB, Culver City and CBS Studio City in a bid to see where my childhood favorites had been made. And from there to Lone Pine, Mojave and on to Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Incline Village and Virginia City. Loved it!

I know we've touched briefly on QM's first proprietary show, The New Breed, a one season series I dearly wish was available in it's entirety on licensed DVD...I have only seen about 11 of the 36 episodes lately, derived from 16mm. A single episode featuring Robert Redford is on Youtube, last time I checked. But I dimly remember watching it first run in 1961-62. A typically great QM show, loaded with great guest stars. Here are a few original ABC publicity photos for The New Breed...

The series leads, Leslie Nielsen and John Beradino, Greg Roman and John Clarke behind them. LA City Hall in the smoggy background. I believe Greg Roman is holding an electronic direction finding device for tracking a suspect vehicle. One of the many new high tech crime busting methods used by the "New Breed" of Police Detective, inspired by an actual LAPD taskforce of the day. John Beradino was formerly a Major League ball player, and a member of the 1948 Cleveland Indians World Series Team...
33540347_1693374994113054_4258757182641668096_n.jpg

Leslie Nielsen, Jean Engstrom and Richard Arlen in the episode "To Sell Another Human Being" (Jan. 16, 1962)...this episode also featured Vic Morrow, appropriate as The New Breed was co-produced with Selig Seligman's Selmur Productions, who later that year produced the Great series Combat! starring the same Vic Morrow!
MV5BMDgwZDkyMmItZTc3Mi00MTBlLTlhNWEtZWRjOWMyYzJjOGI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEzMzY1NjU@._V1_SX774_CR0,0,774,999_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Title card for The New Breed...
the-new-breed563781-tv.jpg

The "New Breed" of Police Detectives...
g506-original-photo-the-new-breed-1961-abc-tv-leslie-nielsen-john-beradino.jpg
g506-original-photo-the-new-breed-1961-abc-tv-leslie-nielsen-greg-roman.jpg

Gold Medal Paperback novelization of the story for The New Breed's pilot episode, "No Fat Cops" (Sept. 16, 1961)...
s-l300.jpg

Peter Fonda and Patty McCormack in "Thousands and Thousands of Miles" (Apr. 17, 1962)...

images

Leslie Nielsen and Ivan Dixon in the two part "Policemen Die Alone" (Jan. 30, Feb. 6, 1962)...
RSK07661.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks