What's new

2020-2021 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which team will win more games and have the most success this season?

• New England Patriots

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There was an article on FOX News about Wentz getting booed- I assume this sound effect was canned, and placed in the appropriate spot. Not surprised by this- as a
(formerly) life long Philly sports fan due to my being born and raised in the area, I say Philly fans get too much crap from the national media sycophants (my head will explode if I hear “booed Santa Claus” again).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There was an article on FOX News about Wentz getting booed- I assume this sound effect was canned, and placed in the appropriate spot. Not surprised by this- as a
(formerly) life long Philly sports fan due to my being born and raised in the area, I say Philly fans get too much crap from the national media sycophants (my head will explode if I hear “booed Santa Claus” again).
I’m assuming this was a home game for Philly. If team management thinks their guy should get an artificial boo, that leads me to believe Philly fans deserve their reputation. See how I didn’t say crap? After all, they did boo Santa Claus and didn’t they pelt him with snowballs (or was that another city)?

Sorry about your exploding head. :D

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’m assuming this was a home game for Philly. If team management thinks their guy should get an artificial boo, that leads me to believe Philly fans deserve their reputation. See how I didn’t say crap? After all, they did boo Santa Claus and didn’t they pelt him with snowballs (or was that another city)?

Sorry about your exploding head. :D
Yes it was a home game. No idea if the Eagles or the network decided to put in the canned boos- I’m not watching.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Atlanta imploded yet again. With a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter, they appear to be on their way to losing as Chicago now leads by 4 and Ryan just threw an interception with about one minute remaining.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For the second time this year, the Bears get three TDs in the 4th to come from behind a large lead to win.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Atlanta imploded yet again. With a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter, they appear to be on their way to losing as Chicago now leads by 4 and Ryan just threw an interception with about one minute remaining.
Sure seems like Blank kept Quinn too long- he should have been fired after last year. The Falcons won a bunch of games late when it didn’t matter. Unbelievable how some teams keep coaches around who have proved they shouldn’t be there any longer
(the poster board for this is Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Houston is now 0-3 after losing all three of their tough "beginning of the season gauntlet" -- Kansas City, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. The Steelers completely shut down the Texans in the second half, after it looked in the first half like the game would be a shootout. Pittsburgh wins the first "Watt Bowl" -- all three Watt brothers (J.J., T.J. and Derek) played in the game.

Living in the Lions TV market means you are sometimes subjected to some horrible schedules by the networks, and today was one of those days. In this market, we got Chicago - Atlanta and Tennessee - Minnesota at 1pm, and Detroit - Arizona at 4:30pm. I rejected all that and decided to enjoy the nice autumn day sitting on the deck reading and watching the Steelers - Texans game on my Android phone (the only way I could get the game).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Living in the Lions TV market means you are sometimes subjected to some horrible schedules by the networks, and today was one of those days. In this market, we got Chicago - Atlanta and Tennessee - Minnesota at 1pm, and Detroit - Arizona at 4:30pm. I rejected all that and decided to enjoy the nice autumn day sitting on the deck reading and watching the Steelers - Texans game on my Android phone (the only way I could get the game).
We always get the lowly Giants games around here on FOX. Sigh. Plus today we got the Buccaneers game rather than the Cowboys-Seattle game, I presume since they think people in New England are somehow still interested in Tom Brady.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sure seems like Blank kept Quinn too long- he should have been fired after last year. The Falcons won a bunch of games late when it didn’t matter. Unbelievable how some teams keep coaches around who have proved they shouldn’t be there any longer
(the poster board for this is Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati).

He should have been fired after the 2017 debacle in Superbowl LI, now forever know in the football annals as "28-3." Again. Great theater for me but tough for their actual fans. As I've heard some of them ask recently, "If they won't fire the coach, could they please fire the owner?"

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
After having watched so much garbage football all afternoon and last week, what a breath of fresh air watching GB and New Orleans tonight. Smart/Well Played/Brilliant Execution/well-coached HOF Players

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
He should have been fired after the 2017 debacle in Superbowl LI, now forever know in the football annals as "28-3." Again. Great theater for me but tough for their actual fans. As I've heard some of them ask recently, "If they won't fire the coach, could they please fire the owner?"
Yes the Super Bowl giveaway was bad, but another bad looking loss was the playoff loss to the Eagles in the following season. The Falcons played a poor game, and lost an ugly, low scoring game (that’s the game where Ryan had the ball near the end zone at the end, and overthrew a pass to Jones, I think). They have stunk since those 2 poor postseason games.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are several fan bases across all of team sports that are asking that same question.:rolling-smiley:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There are several fan bases across all of team sports that are asking that same question.:rolling-smiley:
Yep- Washington, Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati immediately leap to mind. At least the Falcons have had a little success lately, so I don’t include Blank on my list.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My take is the NFL is set up to encourage at least a degree of success across the board for every team, due to the salary cap and TV revenue sharing, so it’s easier to tell the good or mediocre owners from the lousy ones. The other 3 sports don’t have the same economics, so it’s more difficult for some teams to be successful. The baseball team that comes to mind that has never done much is the Mariners- no World Series appearances in their history.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yep. Most Montreal Canadiens fans hate owner Geoff Molson, and the Ottawa Senators owner makes Bengals owner Mike Brown look like a wild-spending Hall of Fame owner in comparison.
Good one- the Senators. Seems they’ve never done much. A scary thought that the Senators owner makes Mike Brown look like a guy who lights his cigars with $100 bills.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yep- Washington, Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati immediately leap to mind. At least the Falcons have had a little success lately, so I don’t include Blank on my list.

I see your point but Blank is a nice guy in a sport where nice guys finish last; sort of like a "bizarro" version of Jerry Jones. He would be better off leaving the business of football to the professionals and staying in the background.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So some general observations three weeks in...which sort of now amounts to the end of the preseason.

First, as expected there were a lot of injuries. The 49ers have basically been devastated by them.

Second, having a good head coach seems to matter a great deal in a situation with no preseason games. They better prepare their teams for the most part.

Third, offenses seem to have been less effected than defenses by the lack of a preseason. The offenses are putting up points and the issue with defenses seems to primarily be they are pretty well gassed by the final couple of quarters. So, it seems the biggest thing that is lost by not having a preseason is not timing and an offense gelling...it is a lack of conditioning and probably this leads to more injuries to some extent.

Here are some teams that just a few games in seem like they are really having some major struggles...

The Eagles seem just a mess. Wentz appears all out of sorts. I think he may be the luckiest player in the league to not have to be playing in front of a live crowd.

The Vikings and Cousins are also looking like a disaster right now. They blew a lead but just have been playing pretty awful football. Surprising that the Bears are 3-0 and the Vikings are 0-3.

The Falcons are quite obviously a horribly coached team. Dan Quinn is entering into Adam Gase territory as a head coach. These guys have both been given a bunch of years as head coaches and they just are terrible. They don't game plan well, they don't coach well during a game, they don't seem able to address mistakes that get made over and over and over. If you want to watch error filled football tune into a team coached by one of these guys. Awful stuff. I don't think Quinn alienates players the way Gase does which is about all he has over him.

The Jets are, no surprise, just a dumpster fire. I would think Gase is the first HC fired this season. If you want to help Sam Darnold and at least try and salvage his career...get rid of Gase, he is going to destroy this kid.

The Giants are a mess mostly because Dave Gettleman has set them up to fail. He has just made mistake after mistake with this team. The coaches of Dave Gettleman Giants teams walk into a situation where they are totally screwed. I used to always feel bad for Andrew Luck playing for a horrid Colts organization. Now the NFL player I feel the most sorry for is Saquon Barkley. He was such a promising player and Gettleman has destroyed his career so far which you could see coming from a mile away when he drafted him. You could see flashes of "Wow!" watching Barkley play and he should have slipped lower into the draft to a team that could have better utilized him. Now his career is playing out as expected...he is getting killed in a bad Giants offense and is now injured. First thing that the guy that replaces Gettleman should do is trade Barkley. He is still young and can possibly become a great player on another team but he is not a part that can help this Giants team at this stage. He's just somebody to hand the ball to and get beat up as they try to rebuild. The Giants should trade Barkley while they can get something for him. As injuries pile up on the kid playing on a rotten team his value will just diminish. The Giants have to fire Gettleman and start a rebuild. Which means they are still in the same place, probably worse, than when Gettleman took over the team. Barkley is in his third season, still young, but the first 5 years of a RB's career tend to be the best. In the next two years the Giants will not be better and Barkley could end up out of the league at that point. TRADE BARKLEY! Save the kid from this crap and the new GM can use what they get for him to work toward a real post Gettleman rebuild...which is coming.

The Saints are also looking like a team on the way down more than a Super Bowl contender. Brees does look like he is in decline but their defense also looks bad. Basically the team looks like their only path to victory is for Drew to have a huge game every game...which seems unlikely to happen at this stage of his career. They have had some injuries and they probably will improve but I did not think the Brady led Buccaneers would challenge them for the division title but at the moment, Tampa sits in first place and the Saints seem to be looking for answers.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Bears have to be one of the worst 3-0 teams I have ever seen. They have benefited greatly from a very weak opening schedule -- sort of the reverse of what Houston had to deal with these first three games.

I am a little surprised by the Vikings 0-3 start. I thought they would give the Packers at least something to be concerned about in the division, but it looks like Green Bay will have the division all to itself this season. The Bears cannot keep this up, and the Lions certainly are not a contender.

Buffalo doesn't look like they will suffer any setback from last season. Josh Allen is developing nicely as their QB. I think New England will hang around in the race, if only because of Belichick. However, this appears to be the Bills division unless something unforeseen happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks