What's new

All-Time Greatest Games - Any Spectator Sport (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This one is kind of mean spirited, but here goes...

I loathed Bud Adams when -

a) He fired Bum Phillips

b) He moved the Oilers to Tennessee.

There were other incidents that made him a particularly reprehensible owner, but those two stood out. Anyway, it was incredibly satisfying to see the Titans fail by less than a yard in Super Bowl XXXIV when Dyson was tackled at the one yard line. (Liked Jeff Fisher and the players, hated Bud Adams.)

- Walter.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Scott Merryfield said:
I remember watching that game, too. A true classic.

I am not as nostalgic regarding baseball, since I stopped following the sport after the 1994 strike/lockout. However, Game 6 of the 1975 World Series between Cincinnati and Boston was the best baseball game I ever saw. Carlton Fisk's home run off the foul pole completed a game just filled with drama.
The best part of that game was the next game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dheiner said:
The best part of that game was the next game.

Honestly, other than knowing Cincy won the game, I do not remember anything about that Game 7. I wasn't a fan of either team (I rooted for the hometown Tigers until I stopped following baseball), but was just a kid captivated by the drama of that Game 6.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Game 7 was another great game. The Sox lead most of the way. Reds tied in the 7th and then scored the eventual winning run in the 9th.

From Baseball Almanac:

Game 7 appeared to have picked up right where Game 6 had begun, as Boston seized a 3-0 lead in the third inning. However, the Reds remained determined, and Perez nabbed a two-run homer in the sixth off left-hander Bill Lee. Pete Rose tied the game 3-3, scoring on a Tony Perez single. The deadlock would last until the ninth. Griffey led off with a walk and managed to reach third on a sacrifice and a groundout. Jim Burton intentionally walked Rose, but Morgan knocked a clutch single up the middle for the 4-3 lead. Will McEnaney made the lead stand up with a 1-2-3 ninth and the Reds emerged as World Champions...with or without a little help from the curse of "The Babe."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks