What's new

Survivor Season 37 and beyond (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I know interest in this show has waned over the years and I'm reluctant to start a new thread so I decided to start a thread for all future seasons in case anyone wanted to comment. I hope that's ok.

I don't have much to say on this season so far. At this point we don't have any favorites and our interests focus on who they're thinking of voting out and rooting for the person we feel was least deserving.

In week two Jessica went home and we all cheered that the geeks have taken over the tribe and voted out the prom queen. Not that she was the more deserving, it's too early to say, but her and Bi's cliquishness didn't help her chances. i could easily see them prancing around like they were controlling everything.

As for this week, the person voted out did themselves no favors. They were the better asset to the team, but in the end their attitude killed them.

I really wanted to start this thread to comment on a different Survivor reality... way back in August as we were looking for something to watch my wife asked when Survivor was back. When I said sometime near the end of Sept the entire family groaned. Google must have been eavesdropping because the next day I got a news story about Russel Hantz was playing in Survivor Australia, which had just recently started it's season, so that night I surprised everyone but watching that.

I have to say that was one of the best seasons we've seen in a very long time.

24 contestants (vs 20 in the US). 50 days (vs 39), 25 episodes (vs 14), and it's on twice a week (!) with episodes running anywhere from 50 - 90m sans commercials. Most were around the 74m mark.

Nearly everything else about it is the same, except the host. The longer episodes revealed more camp relationships, which was nice to see, and the TCs were much longer.

This past season was Champions vs Contenders, which is very similar in theme to David vs Goliath. But the difference is nearly everyone was athletic. Many of the contestants played professional soccer, rugby, or Aus football. Two were olympic athletes, one was Miss Australia. Most of the competitions were extremely physical, the likes of which we rarely see in the US anymore.

They also shied away from gimmicks for the most part. There was an Exile Beach, but it came in to play twice - two people were sent there back to back then they had to duel it out to see who returned. And they had something new called Dead Man Walking where that person stayed in the game but was banned from voting for the next two TCs. That person also wound up being sent to Exile their first night. Some hidden idols had special powers, like steal a vote.

The reunion show was a treat as well because it was old school. They talked, at least briefly, to everyone who played and there was no time wasting talking to the audience or promoting the next season like the US does.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My wife and I are still on board for this show; one of the few airings on television that (for this veteran scriptwriter) is not entirely predictable. We don't have any favorites yet, either, but I'm always a fan of writer Mike White (Enlightened on HBO), who besides being a good writer is a decent human being, and was rooting for him and his dad when they did The Amazing Race.

That Australia version of Survivor really sounds intriguing. They should import it here.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I watched a recent season of Survivor: South Africa, which I found more interesting also. At least in part this was because the contestants were NOT mostly model/actors.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having seen every US season of Survivor, I still end up recording it (I tried to not sample most of the new shows for 2018's fall offering, and may jump in if the reviews are amazing, but not much has piqued my interest in scripted TV shows this fall). I'm pretty much over the challenges (I usually fast-forward through them, and especially the damn puzzle challenges), but the social dynamics of the show still entertain me, so I still have my DVR recording the episodes).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm still a huge Survivor fan. I also enjoyed Survivor South Africa, Survivor New Zealand, and Australian Survivor (not to be confused with Survivor Australia, which was season 2 of the US show). Those versions give you a lot more of the interpersonal dynamics and strategy, especially Australia since it airs two 60+ minute episodes a week. My only problem with these versions are that the finals come down to two or three people I have little rooting interest in or just plain dislike. I'm not sure if it's because the US version tilts the contest to give alphas a shot at the end (like having a fire making contest to allow for a strong player to make it into the finals) or because the international versions don't try to give the finalists the hero edit. The finale of Survivor South Africa came down to the two contestants I liked the least -- by far. Talk about pick your poison.

Enjoying the new US season, Christian is just Survivor gold out there, he's clearly not scripted and his observations and musings are high nerd comedy. I'm also actually warming up to John, which shouldn't really be that surprising since many wrestlers away from their personas are actually quite smart about what they do. Mick Foley and Dwayne Johnson come to mind in that department.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Is anybody else watching this season? Dan-I mean DAMN, it is one awesome season. It's all about the characters. And what started as a very lame theme (Davids vs. Goliaths) actually played into the mentality of the players themselves and is paying off, big time, for the drama.

You watch this show year after year knowing cast is everything and all of the seasons can't be winners, but sometimes it comes up straight Lucky 7s. This year has been jaw-dropping good.

Last edited:

DaveHof3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
The game is definitely being played at a very high level this year - my only worry is that the producers will get carried away with idols and advantages and vote steals and idol nullifiers, to the point where it negatively impacts the compeition.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This season has been so good, I'm fine with any of the remaining players getting the win... except Gabby, who's primary tactic for manipulating other players is to whine and cry relentlessly.

And who wasn't impressed and amused by Christian's 5-hour chatterbox... crucifixion, lulling jock-type Alec into stepping off the cross, and serenading Probst with the show's first filibuster win tactic. So funny.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
This has been a pretty great season so far. You could tell right from the start when the nerdy kids on Davids voted off the prom queen first. You knew they were going to run things. They weren't just contenders, they were smart contenders.

I'm glad they're introducing more offbeat idols, like the nullifier. It makes play seem more like a board game but it adds new excitement into how things are played. And when you have them all played like during that amazing tribal council a few weeks ago it's so much more fun.

I started this thread mentioning Survivor Australia. That sandbag challenge was lifted straight out of that season, and it lasted so much longer there. You could tell there was no organization on who was holding what bag, and where it was attached to the beam. They were all over the place.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Peg and I are watching. We haven't missed an episode of Survivor yet. And we don't expect to stop any time soon.

I'm still not a fan of the "theming" with these things (David vs. Goliath). It is so obvious that the field producers put thoughts in the contestant's heads which get regurgitated in their one-on-ones. People just wouldn't give answers in those terms unless prompted.

It borders on scripting and takes a lot of the "realness" out of the reality show concept for me.

And I agree about over-saturation of idols and other advantages...although the playing of that nullifier had to be done just right (and it was) or it would have been wasted. So I gotta give the nerds that one.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I was convinced Gabby had a crush on Christian. We knew from last week's preview that Gabby would turn and go after him but the question was why. Then Jeff announces Christian's girlfriend and, I kid you not, we all gasped. And the next thing you know, Gabby is targeting Christian. hmmm...

I just wanted to add how much we all hate Angelina (or whatever her name is... I keep wanting to call her Angelica but I know that's wrong). She reminds us so much of a relative of mine we dislike. I kept it to myself but then my wife said the same thing so now we're all united in our hatred. Everything she does is to play up to the jury. The whole rice thing from last week was a total creation to give her leverage when facing the jury. I couldn't help but notice two things when she met her mom - the first thing out of her mouth was bragging about the rice, and, far more telling, the moment she turned away from her mom all pretense vanished and it was like she wasn't there. Just like my relative, everything is a facade. I really want her gone, but I think she'll be kept around because despite how well she thinks she's playing, I think everyone sees through it and no one will vote for her.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interesting theory about Gabby's turnabout; which probably makes as much sense as she wants to up her game cred. What game cred?

And Angelina may get far but I think she cooked her own goose long ago with her transparent agenda, but right now she's the only one left I would be upset if she won.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Angelina's grey yoga pants were also a bad idea... ;)

It's always interesting when certain players (like Angelina) evoke such universal dislike.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Angelina's grey yoga pants were also a bad idea... ;)

It's always interesting when certain players (like Angelina) evoke such universal dislike.
I mentioned those pants to my wife, "who the hell wears sweat pants on a tropical island...."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks