What's new

Netflix Ragnarok (2 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So...after noting that this coming week Netflix will be streaming the third (final) season of the Norwegian fantasy series Ragnarok, I decided to check out the first season last night.

In some ways, it makes me think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In that show, Buffy is a Slayer who fights vampires (and other demons) while attending high school. In Ragnarok, Magne is a god who fights giants while attending high school. And like Buffy, a lot of the show deals with the Hell That Is High School.

The premiere episode shows a single-mother and her two high-school-aged sons moving back to the small town of Edda, where they originated from, but moved away years earlier after the death of the boys' father. Their way to their house is blocked by an old man in a motorized cart who has stopped in the middle of the road. Magne gets out to help him, and is greeted by the old man's wife who appears to cast some sort of spell on Magne.

To cut to the chase, the town is run by a family who owns the local factory that keeps everyone employed. And who also turn out to be immortal creatures (the aforementioned "giants") in human form. And who are also suspected by some of causing environmental pollution. One thing leads to another, and the spell the old woman put on Magne appears to have given Magne (or released what he might've already possessed) the powers of a certain Thunder God.

The first episode or two were a bit slow setting things up, and I was feeling a bit dubious, but then things pick up speed, and as the season (six episodes) progressed, I got sucked into the storyline. I can't honestly say it's a "great" show, but I'm looking forward to watching the next two seasons (also six episodes each). If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see what other gods might show up. The old man from the beginning tellingly had an eye-patch, which suggests who he and his wife are supposed to be. There's also a character introduced in a later episode, who seems to know more than she's telling, so she might be another one. And then there's Magne's brother, Laurits, who's a bit of a trickster and who has something of a resemblance to Tom Hiddleston...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I binged Season 2 last night. Well, except for the second half of the season finale, which I watched today. I got through the first half last night, and then our internet connection started pinin' for the fjords...

Anyway, some of my suspicions about other gods proved true...in some respects. Some expected twists and turns, and some unexpected ones. I'm very much looking forward to Season 3 dropping on Thursday to see how the Final War plays out.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Keep forgetting to mention that I finally (about a week ago) binged the final season. It wasn't quite up to the previous seasons; mostly seemed like marking time until the end. That said, I was taken with the way they staged the "final battle", even though in some ways it felt like they were having their cake and eating it, too. I did, for a moment, get the horrifying feeling that -- in another call-back to Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- it was going to be a version of that series' episode "Normal Again".

Bottom line: I'm not sure I'll ever feel the need to re-watch this, but I'm glad I did watch it in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks