What's new

Vince Edwards Tribute (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
VINCE EDWARDS JULY 9,1934 - MARCH 11, 1996
View attachment 190429
Born Vincente Edwardo Zoino, July 9, 1928, in Brooklyn, NY son of Vincente and Julia Zoino. He and his twin brother, Anthony, were the youngest of seven children.
Edwards studied aviation mechanics while attending East New York Vocational High School. An excellent swimmer, he worked as a lifeguard at Coney Island and swam for the Flatbush Boys Club. He was a standout on his high school swim team and also played on the school's baseball and track teams. Edwards graduated high school in June of 1945 and attended Ohio State University on an athletic scholarship. He was part of the university's swim team that won the United States National Championships. After two years at Ohio State, he transferred to the University of Hawaii where he spent much time training as a swimmer for the Olympics. He later switched to acting after an appendectomy operation shifted his focus away from swimming.
He attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and found work in stage productions. Edwards then signed on with Paramount Pictures making his film debut as Vincent Edwards in 1951's Mister Universe.
The following year he played the lead role in Hiawatha and had major roles in several films, including The Killing (1956) and Murder by Contract (1958)
His celebrity status rocketed when he was cast to appear in the title role of the 1960s television series Ben Casey. County General Hospital was the setting for the practice of its most prominent resident in neurosurgery, Ben Casey.
His portrayal as an idealistic surgeon who had no patience for bureaucratic red tape is said to have inspired depictions of similar doctors in shows like ER.
Ben Casey ran on ABC from October 1961 to May 1966. James Moser, who also created the Richard Boone series Medic created Ben Casey and Matthew Rapf produced the program for Bing Crosby Productions. The show was very successful for ABC and broke into the Top Twenty shows for its first two years.
As Ben Casey, Edwards was gruff, demanding, decisive and did not suffer fools lightly. He did however, have unqualified respect for the chief of neurosurgery, Dr. David Zorba (Sam Jaffe). The only other colleagues from whom he would seek counsel were anesthesiologist Dr. Maggie Graham (Bettye Ackerman) and Dr. Ted Hoffman (Harry Landers).
Racial tension, drug addiction, the plight of immigrants, child abuse, and euthanasia were a few of the issues covered in Ben Casey.
The series followed an episodic format for its first four years. But the final season saw Dr. Zorba replaced by Dr. Freeland (Franchot Tone) and a move to a more soap opera like story structure. Edwards directed several of the episodes during the last two seasons.
ben3.jpg

When the Ben Casey television series ended, Edwards returned to acting in motion pictures with a major role in the 1968 war drama The Devil's Brigade together with films such as Hammerhead (1968), The Desperados (1969), and The Mad Bomber (1973).
After appearing as Ben Casey, Edwards tried another television series in the 1970s called Matt Lincoln. The premise for this show had Matt Lincoln as a community psychiatrist who had founded a telephone hotline for troubled teenagers. Lincoln also operated a free walk-in clinic to help the needy with their mental health concerns. This show ran for only one season 1970-71 on ABC.
lincoln.jpg

Vince Edwards also directed episodes of shows such as The Hardy Boys Mysteries, David Cassidy-Man Undercover, B. J. and the Bear, Battlestar Galactica, Police Story, and Fantasy Island. Edwards declined the part of "The Doctor" in Airplane!
A 1988 made-for TV movie, The Return of Ben Casey, enjoyed only moderate success and wasn’t picked up by any of the major networks.
s-l400.jpg

Vince Edwards was also an accomplished singer. He recorded half a dozen albums for Decca records at the height of his popularity, the first of which, "Vincent Edwards Sings" spent several weeks on the top-20 Billboard LP charts in early 1962.
Vince-Edwards-record.jpg

Sadly, Edwards was a compulsive gambler for many years, acknowledging the fact to a longtime friend, director William Friedkin, who said that Edwards had "sacrificed a good portion of his career to an addiction.”
In his last years, Edwards and his wife Janet Friedman attempted to educate others about the dangers of gambling.
Vince Edwards lost a month long struggle against pancreatic cancer on the night of March 11, 1996, at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles.
He was 67.
image.jpeg

On a personal note, I always liked the episode titles to many of the Ben Casey episodes…
“But Linda Only Smiled”
“I Remember a Lemon Tree”
“Imagine a Long Bright Corridor”
“If There Were Dreams to Sell”

Sources…Wikipedia, IMDB, TV Guide.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 38

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I know Vince Edwards only from his film roles but he always impressed me. He was a very strong screen presence in films like Too Late Blues and The Victors, despite being in the films for just a few minutes.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
On a personal note, I always liked the episode titles to many of the Ben Casey episodes…
“But Linda Only Smiled”
“I Remember a Lemon Tree”
“Imagine a Long Bright Corridor”
“If There Were Dreams to Sell”
The early 60s dramas were loaded with those long, flowery poetic titles that so often had next to nothing to do with the episode itself, but just stemmed from some throwaway line at some point. "Route 66", "Naked City", "Dr. Kildare" etc. are loaded with them. The Dick Van Dyke Show once did a takeoff of those titles with one of their episodes called, "The Sound Of The Trumpets Of Conscience Falls Deafly On A Brain That Sometimes Holds Its Ears.....Or Something Like That."

Edwards directed one of the most memorable episodes of Battlestar Galactica, "Living Legend".

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I loved the titles to several Hawaii Five O episodes. One, "Pray, Love, Remember," could mean so many things. When I first saw the title I wonder if dealt was an amnesiac girl/love story. Don't think it was.

--jthree

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Whatever happened to that fanatical Vince Edwards fan who posted all over the internet about Matt Lincoln? She was such a big fan that she didn't even have the 2 re-edited ML movies Universal used to syndicate.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Until a month ago, never having seen an episode of Ben Casey, my only cultural reference was the "Len Frankenstone" parody on "The Flintstones" (as well as the earlier cameo caricatures of Casey and Zorba on the Pebbles birth episode).

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ben Casey is one of my top ten favorite shows. I tried Matt Lincoln but the character is too calm and cool. I kept wanting him to go off on somebody, like Ben would have done. Same thing with Man and the City, which starred Anthony Quinn, another volatile actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks