What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What was the most expensive set you ever purchased? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
without question, any season of the Star Trek franchise when the originals cost 100.00 each
I can't remember for sure, but for me it was probably either the first Star Trek: TNG DVD sets or the first DVD sets of The X-Files (which I've now replaced on blu-ray for considerably less money). Or it might have been the Laserdisc sets of Twin Peaks. I don't recall what those cost at the time.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
If we are going all the way back to VHS/Beta (as some of you have, but I'm not entirely sure that's what the O.P. meant), then it would probably be the subscription "one-episode-at-a-time" (in production order) Star Trek at about $14.95 per tape. Only "The Menagerie" had two episodes on a tape. All the rest were 60-minute singles, the same Paramount Video tapes you could buy at retail. Of course, Columbia House came out with double-episode tapes (in "stardate order") later on for a better value.

I'm not really sure it's fair to let us go back that far in this thread, though. Everybody knows the business model for home video was entirely different back then (60-90 minutes at a time) than it is now (whole seasons at a time). Any of us who collected the few "complete series" that were available then would have paid far more for that stuff than anything in the DVD era.

Also, is it fair to include those because they were all bought one-at-a-time (or a few at a time)? I'd say almost no-one bought all of the Star Trek tapes in a single purchase.

For both these reasons, it seems logical to limit this discussion to DVD/Blu-ray. Also, "homebrews" and/or bootlegs also shouldn't count, since we're really not supposed to be discussing that sort of thing here, anyway (right?).

If that Dark Shadows box ever falls to around $200 again, it'll probably become my most expensive boxset purchase.

Edit: In the original post, he said This counts only for ENTIRE Series, not ones where you purchased seasons one at a time, so that also means "one tape at a time", etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks