What's new

What is your packaging Preference (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
recently, I purchased Perry Mason complete series. Star Trek TNG complete series Enterprise complete series and Dukes of Hazzard seasons 4-7 in book binding packaging. In each case I’ve found loose discs and broken spindles.

To that end , I decided to purchase NYPD blue in season sets. The packaging was much better in the case of NYPD blue. Although it might not be that way for all season sets of other shows. What are everyone else’s preferences on this?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I hate them. I have had broken packaging in every set I've purchased in these economical multi seasons sets. I've either returned them or sold them all off. The only one I've kept is the Perry Mason movie set. I bought the widescreen Lost In Space set last week at Walmart and it was damaged before I tried to take a disc out. I'd like to exchange it so I can keep it, but any replacement will likely have a similar issue.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
recently, I purchased Perry Mason complete series. Star Trek TNG complete series Enterprise complete series and Dukes of Hazzard seasons 4-7 in book binding packaging. In each case I’ve found loose discs and broken spindles.

I've had loose discs with my copies of JAG (disc loose in the 5-8 portion of that release) and O-R NBC Star Trek (one loose second-season disc, and one loose third-season disc).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it depends on the particular show and how much it matters to me.

My wife and I are currently viewing The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I ended up buying a complete series set from Walmart in one of those plastic cases with lots of overlapping hubs and flaps, but it takes up only a small amount of shelf space. That kind of packaging would probably be obnoxious if I wanted to cherry pick different episodes or watch out of order, but it's just fine when it comes to watching the show in order. We fish out the next disc, and leave it out until we've finished it, instead of trying to fit it back in after each episode.

But for a show like TNG, which I'm more passionate about, I'm happy to have the individual season releases which are easier to sort through when I'm in the mood for a specific episode.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Multi-disc *standard* keepcases or Megapak. I prefer to have no overlapping disc pages.

I absolutely detest digipak, "books" with discs in slots in the "pages," and spindle packs.

If I could find a source for those multi-disc cases - those the width of single disc cases only with 3-4 pages inside - I'd purchase some for every single set I own that's in digipaks or those horrid page affairs. I'd also purchase Megapak cases if I could find a source.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I prefer plastic cases, the thinnest possible for the disc count, given that my space is at a premium. I know that this can mean overlapping discs, which I've gotten used to, but I cannot stand "hub stacks".

Absolutely hate cardboard DigiPaks, especially huge fold-out ones that are much larger than necessary.

Bob asked about sources for cases. The most discs you can fit in a standard (14mm) width case is six: overlapping discs on both the left and right 'halves', and a page in-between with a disc per side. Anything more takes up more room.

I've bought both DVD and blu-ray cases for 'slimming down the herd' with custom or otherwise printed thinner covers. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so this is a bit of a hobby that ties into my work (plus, I have good printers and paper to work with as I see fit). SuperMediaStore has been a good place to find decent cases. I found others (particularly high disc-count ones) on eBay, where you don't have to buy 100 or more at a time. There, though, you have to pay close attention and see which case-count gives you the best per-piece price (it's not always the highest count). Some sellers give you a huge break at, say 50 versus 25.

I've not seen a good/cheap source for the "EpikPak" size cases yet, but the 10-12 disc ones on eBay aren't too bad. I've mostly got cases up to 8-disc capacity, though the bulk of them are six-disc or less.

I tend to prefer the 'clear' cases so you can print on the second side (good for synopsis of 'what's on what disc').

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Multi-disc *standard* keepcases or Megapak. I prefer to have no overlapping disc pages.

I absolutely detest digipak, "books" with discs in slots in the "pages," and spindle packs.

If I could find a source for those multi-disc cases - those the width of single disc cases only with 3-4 pages inside - I'd purchase some for every single set I own that's in digipaks or those horrid page affairs. I'd also purchase Megapak cases if I could find a source.
I do too. What imbecile invented those types of packaging? . A friend who works at a major NY video company told me a couple of years ago that the people who design these things don't use the products. They download or stream and could care less about the way the product gets to the consumer . For all of the people concerned about the environment reading this , how much does it help the environment to have many DVD box sets returned because of damage caused by faulty packaging? Those discs will be destroyed and wind up in land fills . Same goes for similar CD packaging . And if I get a damaged disc- CD, Blu-ray, or DVD I always return it .
And I've gotten quite a few lately .

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
I like the multidisc packaging for each series mainly because it saves space. I do agree the manufacturers need to figure out something for when it ships because the discs get loose and move around. But once it gets to (and stays on) my shelves that’s not a problem. What I really don’t like are any cases with sleeves or slots. Some DVDs last ok in them but there are many that are poorly made and the DVDs get scratched up/glue stuck on them just sitting in the case.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Absolutely hate cardboard DigiPaks, especially huge fold-out ones that are much larger than necessary.

That's a good point; there is one like that that I have disliked (the first-season one of Star Trek: TNG), and also one that I have liked (Timeless' all-in-one of M Squad). The latter one, I liked, because the bonus disc in it was the RCA Victor soundtrack from 1959; the later version of the M Squad all-in-one was all about Lee Marvin's other roles in that bonus disc, and I don't think I would have enjoyed those.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I do too. What imbecile invented those types of packaging? . A friend who works at a major NY video company told me a couple of years ago that the people who design these things don't use the products. They download or stream and could care less about the way the product gets to the consumer . For all of the people concerned about the environment reading this , how much does it help the environment to have many DVD box sets returned because of damage caused by faulty packaging? Those discs will be destroyed and wind up in land fills . Same goes for similar CD packaging . And if I get a damaged disc- CD, Blu-ray, or DVD I always return it .
And I've gotten quite a few lately .

I'm sure originally (when DVD first came out), DigiPaks were designed in part purely for the sake of presentation. Think back to gatefolds on LP records...they weren't usually necessary, but the extra space for photos, notes, etc. was perceived as 'quality' or 'deluxe'. I'm sure this was part of the thinking in the earlier days of DVD. Shelf space wasn't as much of a concern because even a 2" wide DVD season set was far smaller than the equivalent in VHS space.

I know some recording artists (like Herb Alpert) are very concerned about environmental issues, so that's why all his CD reissues are in cardboard sleeves (rather than jewel boxes or digipaks). LIke you, I can't stand a disc just loose in a cardboard sleeve. If publishers are going to do this, they should put the CDs/DVDs into protective liners inside those sleeves (as was done with LP records). I bought polyproplene ones and they do the trick nicely (they're just like what MCA used on LP records in the '80s, just CD size), so for every music CD I buy that is packaged this way, the disc goes in one of these sleeves as soon as I open up the package.

Those work so much better than the paper CD sleeves with the window. The paper on those can cause the disc surface to "cloud" over time, certainly on -R media (no idea if that affects playback or if they cloud replicated discs...not willing to take that chance).

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I avoid digipaks and those big book-like things whenever possible. When not possible I will usually transfer to the 14mm clear plastic cases. My worst packaging experience ever came with the long-awaited arrival of Batman back in 2014. I wanted the entire series as soon as it was released, but it came with plastic cracked and floating around, and discs loose and sliding. As much as I wanted to watch the episodes I decided I didn't need all the toys and stuff, so I sent it back for a refund. Went to my local Wal-Mart and purchased season 1 in a plastic case and enjoyed the heck out of the episodes and the packaging. :)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's a good point; there is one like that that I have disliked (the first-season one of Star Trek: TNG), and also one that I have liked (Timeless' all-in-one of M Squad). The latter one, I liked, because the bonus disc in it was the RCA Victor soundtrack from 1959; the later version of the M Squad all-in-one was all about Lee Marvin's other roles in that bonus disc, and I don't think I would have enjoyed those.

Mill creek also did that with the DVD Version of Miami vice. the discs are in these Cardboard envelope looking things. Is that what you are referring to?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Mill creek also did that with the DVD Version of Miami vice. the discs are in these Cardboard envelope looking things. Is that what you are referring to?

Not quite-- I think that what was originally being referenced is that form of digipak that seems to be almost a mile long.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I really have no preference, since my only interaction with the packaging comes when I first get the set. I store all of my discs in binders and toss the packaging in the trash (I collect content, not packaging). That said, I do hate it when a disc comes loose and gets scratched or has a duplicate or missing disc. I check for that right away and will return if necessary. Only happened a handful of times though in my nearly 20 years of DVD collecting.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I really have no preference, since my only interaction with the packaging comes when I first get the set. I store all of my discs in binders and toss the packaging in the trash (I collect content, not packaging). That said, I do hate it when a disc comes loose and gets scratched or has a duplicate or missing disc. I check for that right away and will return if necessary. Only happened a handful of times though in my nearly 20 years of DVD collecting.

I had not ever thought of doing that .. Ive got 2 large DVD entertainment shelves with all movies and TV Shows displayed in their cases/packaging .. I might actually have to think about doing away with the packaging as well

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I live in a small one bedroom apartment. I originally kept all my individual cases, but it didn't take long to figure out that I'd run out room sooner than later. I also figured that if I got rid of the packaging, I wouldn't be tempted to sell them later, like I did with my CD collection. I now have well over 5,000 discs and with 320 per binder, they only take up two shelves in my closet. They are arranged, by title, from A-Z, so it takes mere seconds to locate something and pop it in the player. It felt weird at first, tossing the cases, but it's something that I quickly got over. I realize that I'm in the minority, but it works for me.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

I do the same as Paul, for the most part (store most of my DVD collection, both movies and TV shows, in binders) - with the exception that I don't throw out the packaging. This is the most convenient way for me to store and transport DVDs, since I do most of my DVD shopping online and have the discs shipped to my parents' house in Washington State. When I visit the States every August, I take all the discs and sets I've stocked up there, spot check them for any glitches or anomalies, then store them in binders to transport back to Japan in my carry-on luggage. I store the cases in boxes or plastic totes in the attic in my parents' garage. Blu-Rays remain in their cases and I transport and store those as is.

All this palaver is to say that bad packaging isn't a deal breaker for me, as long as the discs themselves are undamaged. That said, I do have some opinions on packaging. ;) I'm not up on all the various names for different packaging types, but the kind I do like, for either DVD or Blu-Ray, is the thinner case style, with various plastic trays (or "leaves") that each hold a single disc (like those used in the Star Trek: TOS and Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-Ray season sets, whatever that style is called). I am absolutely not a fan of complete series sets with several discs stacked on top of each other on a spindle (like VEI's McMillian & Wife set), or in cardboard sleeves, or with two discs overlaid one on top of the other on each side or "leaf" of the case.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I live in a small one bedroom apartment. I originally kept all my individual cases, but it didn't take long to figure out that I'd run out room sooner than later. I also figured that if I got rid of the packaging, I wouldn't be tempted to sell them later, like I did with my CD collection. I now have well over 5,000 discs and with 320 per binder, they only take up two shelves in my closet. They are arranged, by title, from A-Z, so it takes mere seconds to locate something and pop it in the player. It felt weird at first, tossing the cases, but it's something that I quickly got over. I realize that I'm in the minority, but it works for me.

You are far more organized with your binder storage than I am, Paul. I've not even attempted trying to have discs in alphabetical order. How exactly do you handle new arrivals in the collection? Do you leave some blank sleeves in each binder to accommodate moving things around to make room for the new additions? This is what always stymies me in going the alphabetized route.

I do generally separate my movie and TV-on-DVD collections, anyway.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I am absolutely not a fan of complete series sets with several discs stacked on top of each other on a spindle (like VEI's McMillian & Wife set), or in cardboard sleeves, or with two discs overlaid one on top of the other on each side or "leaf" of the case.

I take it, then, that you're not the fan of this either...

streetsstackeddiscs1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks