What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For fans of the series, who already have the four films in 4k, this is your chance to do some space re-allocation. For those who don't have the series, this will make a great gift.

What's been done here is an interesting re-packaging of the four films. And while I love the fact that a single Steelbook can now take the place of four films in three times the space, I'm not so certain about mounting thee discs atop one another on a single spindle.

The package is beautiful, with images that remind me a bit of Wall Street Journal illustrations.

If you've read my piece on Shout Factory's JFK, you'll recall that I mentioned packaging with illegible or partially illegible packaging. This is a perfect example.

The packaging itself is great.

The Steelbook, holding six discs is surrounded by a mylar(?) slip, with a clear area on the obverse allowing the image of Jennifer Lawrence to show through. Also printed is the title of the set and an attractive design.

The reverse of the Steelbook is a portrait of Donald Sutherland, who some may recall from M*A*SH or Don't Look Now.

Unfortunately, his image is totally covered by a semi-readable brown and tan half-tone, with the legal info at the bottom even more obtuse. We don't even know if these films are in copyright.

A perfect example of nice selection of colors creating poor packaging design. If something isn't easily readable, why bother.

I'd have preferred another clear section, allowing Mr. Sutherland's portrait to shine through. If someone posts the films to their youtube account, they can be taken down.

It also presumably doesn't matter if someone wants to know the playback specs. They're impossible.

For those who may be interested, the first film was shot on 35/3, the second on 35/4 and IMAX, the third on 35/4 and the final via an Arri. The first finished in 2k, and the others in 4.

A quality set. I'd tell you what the audio stream is, but it's unreadable.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos) - taken from my old review

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 8

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - Steelbook - 10 / slipcover - 1

Recommended

RAH

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
i guess it’s just a different package and nothing different with the discs and content?

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
For fans of the series, who already have the four films in 4k, this is your chance to do some space re-allocation. For those who don't have the series, this will make a great gift.

What's been done here is an interesting re-packaging of the four films. And while I love the fact that a single Steelbook can now take the place of four films in three times the space, I'm not so certain about mounting thee discs atop one another on a single spindle.

The package is beautiful, with images that remind me a bit of Wall Street Journal illustrations.

If you've read my piece on Shout Factory's JFK, you'll recall that I mentioned packaging with illegible or partially illegible packaging. This is a perfect example.

The packaging itself is great.

The Steelbook, holding six discs is surrounded by a mylar(?) slip, with a clear area on the obverse allowing the image of Jennifer Lawrence to show through. Also printed is the title of the set and an attractive design.

The reverse of the Steelbook is a portrait of Donald Sutherland, who some may recall from M*A*SH or Don't Look Now.

Unfortunately, his image is totally covered by a semi-readable brown and tan half-tone, with the legal info at the bottom even more obtuse. We don't even know if these films are in copyright.

A perfect example of nice selection of colors creating poor packaging design. If something isn't easily readable, why bother.

I'd have preferred another clear section, allowing Mr. Sutherland's portrait to shine through. If someone posts the films to their youtube account, they can be taken down.

It also presumably doesn't matter if someone wants to know the playback specs. They're impossible.

For those who may be interested, the first film was shot on 35/3, the second on 35/4 and IMAX, the third on 35/4 and the final via an Arri. The first finished in 2k, and the others in 4.

A quality set. I'd tell you what the audio stream is, but it's unreadable.

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos) - taken from my old review

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 8

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - Steelbook - 10 / slipcover - 1

Recommended

RAH
Looking forward to re-watching this soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks