What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This review references Expend4bles, but mostly concerns packaging, as I presume that to be the overriding rationale for the release.

The Expendables is a series of four films from Millennium via Lionsgate, and while they're never high art, are generally great fun and entertaining per their concept.

Bring a number of aging ex-action heroes together for one final adventure. It works.

While Expemd4bles, the latest is probably the least appealing of the bunch - they arrived in 2010 - it still has its fun moments of high violence and bravura.

Walmart has chosen to create a special Steelbook package of the four films in 4k, and I'm a bit mystified about the reason.

The first three films have been available in 4k for awhile, and was joined by the fourth on 21 Nov.

I could be wrong, but I'm presuming that anyone who desired to own the first three films in 4k would have already purchased them. So what we seem to have is a Steelbook release for a relatively small potential audience.

Collectors who have not yet purchased the first three, and Steelbook afficianadoes.

To that end, I'll cut to the chase. This is a terrific Steelbook - and a heavy one as it holds all four films in both 4k as well as BD.

What's special is that the Steelbook, with quality art, is further encased within an acyclic sleeve, which is emblazoned with secondary artwork, forming a second layer over the first. The title is set vertically along the left edge of the obverse, while the specifics about the multiple discs will be found on the reverse.

I've checked with a few high-end slipcover and Steelbook collectors and market-makers, and it seems that they're making an investment in these, presuming that when it sells out they'll be able to make a tidy profit.

Therefore, be advised that unless you want to be paying four figures for this highly collectible object from Walmart, best to make your move.

All four films are encoded with Dolby Atmos - and the tracks are big. Only 4 is in Dolby Vision.

Expend4bles - shot with a Sony CineAlta, and finished in 4k.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Worth your attention - 3

Slipcover rating - 8

Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks