What's new

The Worst Season You Have Ever Bought? (1 Viewer)

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Of course, in many cases, the worst season you ever bought of something, may often end up being a one season failure (only ran one year), but you may be curious about it, maybe because it was so cheap in price, you just had to take a look just to satisfy a curiosity twinge. I'll start off with the ones that LEAP to mind.

The very top on my list is season two of that Medicine Woman show. It's not worth my time to type the whole blasted name of that show or look it up! Anyway, that first episode was so absolutely a disgrace, and I absolutely gave it merciless treatment on amazon commentary (oddly enough, which nobody objected to) as I savaged it for it's ridiculous pro-feminism stances. It was so utterly repulsed by it (despite Seymore looking nice) that I to this day would not watch the rest of that one season.

I don't know how many seasons it had, again I don't want to look rubbish up, but what I think were two seasons of Petrocelli. Why did I hate it? I always go through everything I buy, with the huge exception of the aforementioned Medicine Woman, and that also was the case with this show. I got this series before I changed to alternating discs as my preferred viewing method, and, actually, this show was the inspiration for it, because with it I realized very clearly how much of a drag this show was. If you took virtually any 3-4 episodes, you were good, as it was a little different and had some good points, but the problem was it was very repetitious if you saw more, and if you saw them on back-to-back days like I did, it just got almost overwhelmingly irritating. Personally, I never could stand guys that had something resembling a 'fro if they were white guys, so I even had an eye irritant watching the show. His wife was pretty lovely, but really quick I got tired of how many episodes (maybe only two 😂) his wife danced as if she discovered dancing for the first time. I get it, nobody saw the original run in the manner I saw it, so some prepetition wasn't so bad, but the plots were exactly alike for so many episodes, I couldn't help but think those who watched the show originally, wouldn't be turned off with that too.

Unfortunately, that's all that springs to mind for the time being.

Oh, I thought of another, but this is more of a story about a season(s) that I thought was absolutely awful, but it ended up pretty good because I just kept going. That was the Tall Man series. I don't have a great interest for westerns, but enough to know a good show from a bad. So imagine, my first episode, I cannot recall how it went, and the music is just absolutely ridiculous and completely out of sync with a western. It was so bad that I launched on it for this with an amazon review as well. Seriously, that is some ridiculous music. I can't recall what happened exactly since it's been awhile, but I think the music wasn't as loud and raucous, as they went, so it wasn't so irritating, plus you know how the ear gets used to chalkboard sounds if it keeps on going and you want to put up with it 🤣.

Okay folks, I want your broken. I want your awful. I want your downtrodden, and I also want your bad seasons. I would like a somewhat brief description as to why as well, at least somewhat in the style I have done here. Not getting excrementally detailed, but just a good overall view as to why it was bad, and if you went into instant reject mode just like I did after just one episode of something as my Medicine Woman (I still refuse to type that whole bloated name!🤣) case. This ought to be fun. Have it guys and gals; make me proud!!! I know, my story about Tall Man was something of a divergence, and you're allowed to do that, but the emphasis here isn't so much that something was awful and stayed awful, but just that it was at least awful for a time, especially if it's awfulness was rather unique, just like my Tall Man case was.

Last edited:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
This post reminds me of why I never binge-watch shows (even my favorites). I usually stick to one episode per week, just like they used to do it in the olden days. That said, I'm having a tough time trudging thru Season 2 of The Mothers-In-Law. At least Roger C. Carmel made Season 1 somewhat tolerable. As much I usually love Richard Deacon, he's just miscast in this show. And what's with the constant yelling that these characters do? Did anyone ever find that entertaining?!? I'll still finish the series eventually, but it's not gonna be very much fun, LOL!

Oh and BTW, I loved Petrocelli as a kid and still love it to this day. Most of the 1970s detective shows were repetitive, again that's why they only aired once per week and why I space them out at least that much today.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
This post reminds me of why I never binge-watch shows (even my favorites). I usually stick to one episode per week, just like they used to do it in the olden days. That said, I'm having a tough time trudging thru Season 2 of The Mothers-In-Law. At least Roger C. Carmel made Season 1 somewhat tolerable. As much I usually love Richard Deacon, he's just miscast in this show. And what's with the constant yelling that these characters do? Did anyone ever find that entertaining?!? I'll still finish the series eventually, but it's not gonna be very much fun, LOL!

Oh and BTW, I loved Petrocelli as a kid and still love it to this day. Most of the 1970s detective shows were repetitive, again that's why they only aired once per week and why I space them out at least that much today.
Yes, but in my case, I have been watching Mannix S5, and I haven't seen repetition at all, but I am watching it one disc maybe every twenty-five days. Even so Petro was the only one that really got me by throat with the repetition. I never watched it as a kid, therefore my only interest in buying it was that, plus it was a good price for two seasons of something unknown to me.

About Mothers-in-Law? I bought the whole series for price, it being unknown to me, and that Deborah Walley and Eve Arden were in it - love them both. I'm not sure I will keep it when I get around to selling, but Walley did a great little rock and roll dance in one episode. Walley is a story with me. When I was young, I couldn't stand redheads, plus she didn't have nice straight hair like Linda Evans (they both starred in one beach movie anyway - I think). Nowadays, I'm a lot more interested in redheads, primarily because I couldn't stand them for so long, and now Walley is one of my favorites among the reds.

To be honest Petro wasn't in actuality one of the worst I have seen, at least for the unknowns I buy, because at least the lady was nice looking, and I was just operating mostly off the ones that were the most recent absolute catastrophes. But about the time I got to the 6th episode, I was dreading watching it.

I will never forget the travesty that was S2 Medicine Woman though. I could bury that deep in an underground facility, destroy all other copies with nukes, and it still would seethe in my head for decades. I will say, honestly I don't think my attitude would had been much different had I spaced Petro episodes out, but it certainly was the motivation for seeing that any ill effect of such technique, never happens again.

Thank you for taking part in this excoriation Mr Handley (AKA Paul).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well, the worst season I ever bought was actually included in a "complete series" set. The last season of the original Hawaii Five O. It was depressing to see how my favorite fantastically written classic TV show faded fast in that last season.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Yes, but in my case, I have been watching Mannix S5, and I haven't seen repetition at all, but I am watching it one disc maybe every twenty-five days. Even so Petro was the only one that really got me by throat with the repetition. I never watched it as a kid, therefore my only interest in buying it was that, plus it was a good price for two seasons of something unknown to me.

About Mothers-in-Law? I bought the whole series for price, it being unknown to me, and that Deborah Walley and Eve Arden were in it - love them both. I'm not sure I will keep it when I get around to selling, but Walley did a great little rock and roll dance in one episode. Walley is a story with me. When I was young, I couldn't stand redheads, plus she didn't have nice straight hair like Linda Evans (they both starred in one beach movie anyway - I think). Nowadays, I'm a lot more interested in redheads, primarily because I couldn't stand them for so long, and now Walley is one of my favorites among the reds.

To be honest Petro wasn't in actuality one of the worst I have seen, at least for the unknowns I buy, because at least the lady was nice looking, and I was just operating mostly off the ones that were the most recent absolute catastrophes. But about the time I got to the 6th episode, I was dreading watching it.

I will never forget the travesty that was S2 Medicine Woman though. I could bury that deep in an underground facility, destroy all other copies with nukes, and it still would seethe in my head for decades. I will say, honestly I don't think my attitude would had been much different had I spaced Petro episodes out, but it certainly was the motivation for seeing that any ill effect of such technique, never happens again.

Well, the worst season I ever bought was actually included in a "complete series" set. The last season of the original Hawaii Five O. It was depressing to see how my favorite fantastically written classic TV show faded fast in that last season.
Come on, see if you can really dig pretty deep. I want some real dirt. Something to really make us wretch🤮. By that, I mean what made it truly putrid, other than it slid off? What were the key factors, Actors mailing it in? What? No need to bother if the memory is so painful, it's been purged from your memory (a lot of vomit in this thread, but that's exactly what it's all about😆😆). Also, please forgive me if I'm now expecting more of contributors than the puke I laid out, but we're on a roll, so we need to make up for my lethargy! If you still have it, I certainly wouldn't want you to go through that Hell to refresh the memory.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
My biggest blind buy mistake for a TV series? Murphy Brown, S1. I knew of its reputation for getting more political in later years but I tried to think its first season wasn't as bad. But no, it was way in your face agenda wise from the start. I remember throwing it away after finally having enough about half-way through.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
My biggest blind buy mistake for a TV series? Murphy Brown, S1. I knew of its reputation for getting more political in later years but I tried to think its first season wasn't as bad. But no, it was way in your face agenda wise from the start. I remember throwing it away after finally having enough about half-way through.
Thanks for your opinion, it sounds truly wretched. Well, I'm sort of going to break my own rules here. And this supports i think your view with Murphy rather well, but, believe me, you haven't seen putrid until you've seen this. I just copied this from my own review on amazon, and it's SCATHING! This will give about as much loose detail as I can give of that one episode. See if it is something you would buy.

But before I get to that really accurate description of the puke it was, I would like to make the situation clear. This has been up for over three years, and yet it's still up, and it's almost unimaginable, because you would figure with cancel culture, it surely would had been eliminated by now, but there's so many rebels for them to get to, it must take longer. Anyway That post I will attempt to paste down here, has one person agreeing with it as helpful, and for the majority of that three plus years, amazon had an active commentary available to reviews like this one, yet nobody bothered. I simply can't believe they could ignore it. BTW, I also found one of my other reviews was filtered for "sensitivity" of course being too cowardly to tell me what for. I think I know what the violation was though, I said something about scaring the dickens out of somebody. IOW, the word was dickens. Oh shudder! So, onto that review. I bet you'll love it. You know, as much as I would hate them to get another sale for that puke, it might almost be worth it just to see REAL sheer awfulness, and yes, I am somewhat familiar with the Murphy Brown garbage. Believe me this is worse, this is far worse. Okay, don't say I didn't warn you. get ready to laugh, because I was MERCILESS. Frankly, I think I ought to have got an award for it or something. Yes, a Pulitzer prize, that's it🤣🤣🤣. Remember, this is that Medicine Woman S2 E1 I just saw.

1.0 out of 5 stars If The West Were Dominated by Mary Sue
Reviewed in the United States on March 6, 2018
Verified Purchase
This may win the award for the most contrived bit of sputum I have ever seen out of a tv series. I'm sorry if I have come across with the wrong impression, but episode one of season two is just awful as can be. It's nothing more than a glimpse into what some feminist wishes the old west was like and it's ridiculous. I'm so turned off I've given up on watching any more of it, Somehow, I had negative impressions of this series when it ran, and now I wanted to find out if it was so bad - and it is.

Now while I expect something wrote by a woman, about a woman, where all but the girly men, and there's lots of them, are the stereotypical chauvinist pigs, I expected to find some of that, but this is just WAY, WAY overdone, even to the point of role reversal, where the little boy wants to be a cook, when he knows he will more or less be shamed for it. So little boys wanting to be girls, and Mary Sue being miss know-it-all always trying to butt in her unwanted opinions to what seems to be the town MALE doctor.

Then there's the girly men. Really, if this town is so bigoted against women being out of their usual roles, then where is the chastisement due to the girly men? Oh, I know, the author has a thing about men that look like women, right? So tell me, does this series ever become tolerable, where it's not busy making anti-male messages every five minutes? Believe it or not folks, this episode was so sickening, that not only did it have to turn the little boy into a girl, and the lead man, very much a girly man, but this even goes down TO THE LEVEL OF HORSES. Yes, they had the prove the point that female horses, ridden by Mary Sue, are better than male horses. When your ideology extends even down to horses, whom presumably have no discrimination against them, you need to see a shrink! But... ideologues don't know when to stop, do they?

So if you want to know the real truth of how people are, look no further than this series, where women are better doctors, better horse riders, and better horses. And don't forget little boys, whom are better cooks than teenage or grown girls. If only we knew...

Aside from my attitude against this one episode tripe, the video seems to come across as well as can be expected from dvd. Also, the hick music quite common to the episode, certainly didn't help it any. I've never appreciated Gunsmoke better than now.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The last Season of House of Cards was Predictable and ridiculous in my view

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
The last Season of House of Cards was Predictable and ridiculous in my view
If you want to limit your commentary to just that, I have no prob, but I want to encourage you to really make us FEAR IT (but not with exaggeration, just what was really horrid about it). And now, I'm going to throw another wretch of mine out there, but I'll make a separate post. I gave this mystery awful season a TWO on amazon, so I'll just copy that review, and yes, I held nothing back. BTW folks, I don't mind a short comment like this one of John's, not at all, because he, as I did, wanted to dump on something that deserved it, but if it so happens you haven't had anything "worthy" recently, your memory may be faulty on the matter, and you just may recall you hated it, so no fault there.

I want more detail if you can manage it though, because I want it seared on our brains, YOU DO NOT BUY THIS POS". Get ready, here comes another of my truly horrid ones.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Okay, here's the latest bit of puke. This review came from amazon with avatar. I did a review on CHIPS 6th and final season:

2.0 out of 5 stars Cops With Perms
Reviewed in the United States on September 11, 2017
Verified Purchase
This is a steaming pile. Not only are the two main stars constantly posing like a couple of girly men, but it's just awful all the way around. See these two idiots in close formation on their cycles, going down a freeway. Also see how they seem to be in slow motion and nobody is passing them. No, that's incorrect. They aren't in slow motion, they are literally driving 20MPH down the highway, and you figure this out by two things: 1) they aren't talking in slow motion. 2) The traffic in the background, like those crossing bridges at street speed, is going faster than they are. What makes that worse? Every single episode thus far involves at least one scene, usually more, where at least one car flips up into the air and falls on it's side (obviously running cars up off-camera ramps). So they show you a ridiculous amount of vehicular violence (cars don't go flying over each other IRL), and then the cops drive 20 MPH on a freeway! I can't imagine the earlier seasons could had been any worse. The music is terrible, but the audio/video of the show is pretty good. Any Adam-12 season is ten times better than this schlock!

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Now we get a BONUS. Wow, huh? This is probably my last puke review contribution, and any further I might do will likely be a lot less convincing, because it's entirely memory at that point. I say that because the following is another amazon review I did. I had forgotten about this one, because it clearly tells me this is the second season I know about where I gave up entirely on it. The only thing good about is a center for getting Margot Kidder screenshots, which is probably the only reason I bought it, plus the fact I had never seen it before. I don't think I made this review too terribly funny, because not only was there not that much to write about, but I think it got me angry. This review was about the complete series of Nichols. most notably with James Garner and Margot Kidder:

2.0 out of 5 stars A Slow, Slow Death
Reviewed in the United States on September 8, 2017
Verified Purchase
This has to be one of the worst tv shows I've ever seen. It is boring to the hilt. I have had the bravery to go through the first four episodes and it was pretty much a complete waste of time. This apparently is turn of the century, when you have the combination of old cars, old motor cycles which are more like bicycles, and horseback. This is a indepth study into everything happening VERY slowly, and total lack of anything you would care as to how it is resolved, as all the episodes seem pretty much the same - dull. How this series got beyond 6 episodes is unexplainable and the somewhat interesting Rockford Files is at least ten times better than this garbage scow. I simply will better spend my video watching time to something, anything other than this. I would say, however, that the audio and video of the show are in good shape, that is if you like seeing dust all over every nook and cranny (the show is very dusty, not the video).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
At the very least you should check the last episode where they kill off Garner's character in the opening scene and then Garner shows up as his twin brother!

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
At the very least you should check the last episode where they kill off Garner's character in the opening scene and then Garner shows up as his twin brother!
Oh great, thanks for the tip, but that sounds like foreshadowing of his Rockford Files role. I'm sure it would have much more impact if I got a mallet out and pounded my head to get through the rest of the series, but that probable small extra punch wouldn't be worth all that torture I'm sure. Yes, I'll see if I can catch that, but I'm not sure I have it anymore, because I basically counted my disc seasons today and I don't recall seeing it, but then I would have to do this if I did🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Get ready, here it comes:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
The Brady Bunch Variety Hour DVD release was pure excrement! Unwatchable, I dare you not to hit the FF button at some point. Mercifully, it only featured 2 of the 9 episodes. Forget water-boarding…..they should’ve showed this to the Guantanamo prisoners! My first DVD player refused to play it. My garbage man still sends me hate messages after I made him haul it away. If Rip Taylor was paid more than 1977 minimum wage, he was overpaid. His agent must’ve had compromising photos of him with livestock. And for Vincent Price to go from The House on Haunted Hill to this makes his later choice of Scavenger Hunt look positively brilliant by comparison. The only one who looked like he was having a blast was poor Robert Reed, ironically.

Of course, the DVD had the last laugh: its out-of-print ass is worth a small fortune on the secondary market!

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
The Brady Bunch Variety Hour DVD release was pure excrement! Unwatchable, I dare you not to hit the FF button at some point. Mercifully, it only featured 2 of the 9 episodes. Forget water-boarding…..they should’ve showed this to the Guantanamo prisoners! My first DVD player refused to play it. My garbage man still sends me hate messages after I made him haul it away. If Rip Taylor was paid more than 1977 minimum wage, he was overpaid. His agent must’ve had compromising photos of him with livestock. And for Vincent Price to go from The House on Haunted Hill to this makes his later choice of Scavenger Hunt look positively brilliant by comparison. The only one who looked like he was having a blast was poor Robert Reed, ironically.

Of course, the DVD had the last laugh: its out-of-print ass is worth a small fortune on the secondary market!
Hmmm, I have that set. I also have some lame thing about Brady Bowling🤣🤣. Actually, the Brady Bowling thing is fairly interesting, but it looks like dogmeat of course. I posited at some point today, perhaps it was this thread, yes, I believe it was (or the Herculoids BD announcement thread), that with some people who have millions (I didn't say that part) that you could actually go out of your way to buy the worst animation (clearly the Herculoids thread) you could and then rate cartoons on the most awful qualities, with, of course, Herculoids starting off as the king of the hill. You might want to spy that thread, because unfortunately, you might say, I threw in a doozy of true trash, though I suppose lots of people have a religious devotion to it (Herculoids), but I did have something of a surprise review on the NEW Herculoids episodes. Folks, I put my life on the line buying that garbage, just so you wouldn't have to. And I don't say that loosely, because watching it made me want to shoot myself, and it really was a rude surprise, because I was all motivated to see it for the first time, in what. fifty years for me? I won't spoil the rest of it, but it's beyond belief.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I'm sorry to report, not only that I was lame enough to go through my whole library to find Nichol's, but I also didn't find it (actually that should make me happy, notwithstanding the possible last episode shenanigans). I'm afraid my Begone Evil One must had went far beyond mere fingers making a cross, as I probably put a stake through it (we have an ample supply of them here. They're known as trees). Now you might theorize that I sold it, but I might had been in one of my better philosophical moments, and decided I couldn't curse the world with just one more copy. I mean, a child might had got hold of it or who knows what? Actually, if I had fear a child might get it, I should had used that reasoning with my Herculoids set. Well, it's not too late, as I actually have that sorry thing still. Well, it's nice artwork anyway and that's about it. I might need silver bullets for that though.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The only one who looked like he was having a blast was poor Robert Reed, ironically.

That's because original series creator Sherwood Schwartz did not actually authorize this show or participate in any aspect of its creation — even he had his limits — it was Michael Eisner's doing right around the time he left ABC for Paramount. Thus there were no fights over the scripts. Reed tried to play script doctor one last time for The Bradys, CBS's even more failed 1990 attempt (6 episodes compared to 9 for the variety show) to make the characters grow up with their audience. Needless to say, old man Schwartz, who tried to exert as much control as he could over every attempted post-1977 reboot until his death to avoid another similar fiasco, bit off more than he could chew. Marcia as a drunk? Jan unable to conceive? Bobby in a wheelchair? Please. I'll take the disco dancing in platform shoes and Christopher Columbus jokes over what amounted to a long string of Very Special Episodes. They totally misunderstood why A Very Brady Christmas got good ratings and instead took the faux-dramatic ending with Mike in peril due to somebody cutting corners on a building and tried to build a series around things like that! Initially, they just wanted more TV movies, and that's probably what they should have done, but CBS was not doing well in the ratings and they wanted a series.

Paramount was set to fire Schwartz if there had been a second season, but CBS themselves pulled the plug. They could have moved it to 9 since Dallas moved to 10 and the dying Falcon Crest moved to Thursday, but they only moved those shows after they finally canceled this one. Instead, they put in two sitcoms at 9 and 9:30, one of which was a TV version of the movie Bagdad Cafe with Jean Stapleton and Whoopi Goldberg, and a bunch of different shows at 8 and 8:30 that usually got pre-empted for Bugs Bunny, Peanuts, and Garfield specials or the Green Acres reunion anyway. Much like Life With Lucy before it, even if it had been a success, they would have been stuck with dealing with how to handle Robert Reed's death two years later.

Last edited:

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
Christopher Columbus jokes
🤣🤣 I don't think you realize what a double-edged sword that was - really cute. Because not only would that convey there WERE actual jokes of that sort on the show (no, at least one actual CC joke), but that it indicates something VERY old. Either that was brilliant, or a brilliant accident.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
For me, Airwolf, that 1984-87 CBS/USA adventure/spy series w/the late Jan-Michael Vincent, the late Ernest Borgnine, et al.; this one was one of my worst because the USA season (fourth and final go) was included in it.

The CBS gos (first three ones) weren't that stellar to begin with, but that USA one (which I never even touched) was the real reason why it was a stinker.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
For me, Airwolf, that 1984-87 CBS/USA adventure/spy series w/the late Jan-Michael Vincent, the late Ernest Borgnine, et al.; this one was one of my worst because the USA season (fourth and final go) was included in it.

The CBS gos (first three ones) weren't that stellar to begin with, but that USA one (which I never even touched) was the real reason why it was a stinker.
Interesting, because it shows you liked it otherwise. I personally hated that show, and Ernest resembled one of my aunts, therefore even less reason for me. Oh, and I hated JMV. But I did enjoy JMV's comeuppance in Clint Howard's Ice Cream Man😂. It was fascinating to see such good acting out of him, as being decapitated really seemed to help🤣. BTW, was he one of the original cast on Danger Island (the Banana Splits, ahem, drama short)? Thanks for the contribution! Also, can you explain to me what "gos" stands for, I can't imagine that being anything but some abbreviation (like my JMV).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks