What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hypothetically if Vivendi (or Universal) were to reauthor Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2 into single-side discs, one possibility is six single-sided discs which are reauthored to have 9 episodes per disc. (The season 3-5 sets had around 9 episodes per disc).

Another possibility is cramming 11 episodes per single-sided disc, over five single-side discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A question for anyone who has the original SonyWonder flipper version of Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2.

Playing each flipper face on a computer dvd drive, is the size of the VIDEO_TS directory around 4.5 gigabytes (or lower)? Or is it significantly higher than 4.5 gigabytes?

(I don't have the original flipper set).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
A question for anyone who has the original SonyWonder flipper version of Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2.

Playing each flipper face on a computer dvd drive, is the size of the VIDEO_TS directory around 4.5 gigabytes (or lower)? Or is it significantly higher than 4.5 gigabytes?

I can check, but it won't be until early tomorrow morning. If someone beats me to it, please post.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Disc 1/S1 - 4.13
Disc 1/S2 - 4.11
Disc 2/S1 - 4.23
Disc 2/S2 - 4.05

I didn't check the rest but expect them to be similar.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks for looking up the disc capacities Howie.

If these capacities are similar for discs 3 and 4, then most likely they are DVD10 type flippers.

In principle Vivendi (or Universal) could reauthor this Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2 set into four single-sided discs, where each disc is packed to the brim of 8.3 to 8.4 gigabytes per single-sided disc. Basically reauthoring sides A and B of the old flipper, into a respective single-sided dual-layer disc.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for looking up the disc capacities Howie.

If these capacities are similar for discs 3 and 4, then most likely they are DVD10 type flippers.

In principle Vivendi (or Universal) could reauthor this Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2 set into four single-sided discs, where each disc is packed to the brim of 8.3 to 8.4 gigabytes per single-sided disc. Basically reauthoring sides A and B of the old flipper, into a respective single-sided dual-layer disc.

Even though I am a computer programmer by day, I'm a technology retread, so how would 8.3 gb of Rocky and Bullwinkle look on a single sided disc? That would be 13 episodes per disc so would the picture quality suffer noticeably? Thanks,

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even though I am a computer programmer by day, I'm a technology retread, so how would 8.3 gb of Rocky and Bullwinkle look on a single sided disc? That would be 13 episodes per disc so would the picture quality suffer noticeably? Thanks,

It would be dependent on whether any further video compression is done.

If the original episode *.vob files from the flippers can fit onto reauthored single-sided discs without any modification, then the picture quality should be identical.

If not, then hopefully any additional video compression should be minimal in order to fit the episodes onto four single-sided discs at 8.3 to 8.4 gigabytes per disc. Without seeing anything, it is hard to say how things will turn out.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Personally I would prefer if they reauthored the set into five single-side discs, with 10 or 11 episodes per disc.

I generally tend to be distrustful of discs which are filled to the brim, and if the quality control is not so good.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Anybody know if the recent reissue of Rocky & Bullwinkle Season 2 is on single-sided discs?

Unfortunately, that is not known yet-- tried to do some research through EBay, and all they show is the original double-sided version. The only photos of the reissue are stock photos, and so it's quite hard to tell.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
The reissue came out on April 24, 2018. Too bad they are still flippers, although I suspected as much when I saw it was still 4 discs. I've been able to get rid of most of my flippers this past year, thanks to all the single-sided reissues (including my holy grail, the original Dallas).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've been able to get rid of most of my flippers this past year, thanks to all the single-sided reissues (including my holy grail, the original Dallas).

I take it you think those single-sided redos of O-R CBS Dallas are great buys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks