What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (5 Viewers)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Without any insider information, the only way we'll ever see the original V re-released as single-sided discs (the telefilms and series) is when Warner runs out of the old inventory.

For a bluray release, I suppose one can always ask the Warner Archive folks if it is even viable.

They're supposedly redoing it as a movie series, so I have no doubt they'll at least re-visit the older series on home video. I sure hope they look into blu-ray this time.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/v-the-m...reator-kenneth-johnson-and-desilu-1202284944/

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Got my Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 1 and Dallas Seasons 1 & 2 sets the other day. Of course, I already watched the first episode of Dallas. I'm happy with the single-sided discs, but I still would love to see this series remastered for Blu someday.

What does this Dallas first-and-second-season release look like inside (the new one that you have with the singles)?

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
What does this Dallas first-and-second-season release look like inside (the new one that you have with the singles)?

It's the standard case with a separate tray for each of the 6 discs. The episodes are listed on the inserts (top and bottom). No booklet.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It's the standard case with a separate tray for each of the 6 discs. The episodes are listed on the inserts (top and bottom). No booklet.

May I see a picture of that? I've searched high and low on EBay for pictures of these Dallas redos, but haven't found anything yet.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
May I see a picture of that? I've searched high and low on EBay for pictures of these Dallas redos, but haven't found anything yet.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. However if you go to the one minute mark of this video, that's what the inside of the case looks like (I know it's not the exact same product, but it's close enough):

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'd probably get this if it was just the original seasons (1-7)...I have no desire to own the later movies, personally.

Actually, I wish they'd forego yet another repackaged DVD set and just go ahead and release Columbo on Blu-Ray. The Japanese Blu-Ray set is sweet, but VERY expensive. I believe Madman in Australia has released the first two seasons on BD as well, and those are more affordable, but of course, Region B locked.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As far as animated shows in my collection, Season 2 of Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends consists of 4 flippers.

Just noticed season 2 of Rocky & Bullwinkle is being re-released on April 24, 2018 by Universal + Vivendi. (The previous versions were released by Sony Wonder).

https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Bullwinkle-Friends-Complete-Season/dp/B079PGX6QL/

Though no word yet on whether these will still be 4 flippers, or whether they will be reauthored into four single-sided discs.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I have Columbo already as a set and while the newer packaging probably takes up a little less space, for this title, I prefer the separate season packages to easily find specific episodes.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Just noticed season 2 of Rocky & Bullwinkle is being re-released on April 24, 2018 by Universal + Vivendi.
Yes! I only had season 1 so far. I need more moose and squirrel!
rockybullwinkle.jpg

I pulled this out of my hat.:D

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yes! I only had season 1 so far. I need more moose and squirrel!

I pulled this out of my hat.:D

The seasons 1 and 3 -> 5 sets are also being re-released on April 24, 2018. (I didn't bother with links for the other sets, which were single-sided discs from the start).

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I took a chance and purchased a copy of the new SS version of Kung Fu. An Amazon review said the episodes are FS. I could find no further confirmation or even a contradictory statement anywhere so when deepdiscount had it for ~$9.50 I took a chance. I can safely say that it's *not* FS but the same fake WS transfers used on the original DS release. Bummer... At least it's SS discs but it sure would have been nice had they been formatted properly.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I took a chance and purchased a copy of the new SS version of Kung Fu. An Amazon review said the episodes are FS. I could find no further confirmation or even a contradictory statement anywhere so when deepdiscount had it for ~$9.50 I took a chance. I can safely say that it's *not* FS but the same fake WS transfers used on the original DS release. Bummer... At least it's SS discs but it sure would have been nice had they been formatted properly.
Thanks for the info. And "taking one for the team" on the DVD purchase. Perhaps, one day, WB will correct this release. And we can all take a pebble and leave.

25032012060854pm.png

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have Columbo already as a set and while the newer packaging probably takes up a little less space, for this title, I prefer the separate season packages to easily find specific episodes.

And also, I take it, because the episodes are described in those original seasonals, instead of just listed, so when you want to see one, you know what you're seeing?

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just noticed season 2 of Rocky & Bullwinkle is being re-released on April 24, 2018 by Universal + Vivendi. (The previous versions were released by Sony Wonder).

https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Bullwinkle-Friends-Complete-Season/dp/B079PGX6QL/

Though no word yet on whether these will still be 4 flippers, or whether they will be reauthored into four single-sided discs.

Thanks for the heads-up! The fact that they are still 4 discs doesn't bode well for single-sided. They would have to cram A LOT onto each one to make it work. I think I'll wait and see on this one.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thanks for the heads-up! The fact that they are still 4 discs doesn't bode well for single-sided. They would have to cram A LOT onto each one to make it work. I think I'll wait and see on this one.

The question is who exactly is ordering the actual manufacturing of these discs, and whether anybody reputable is still willing to manufacture any double-sided flipper discs. (The only semi-reputable disc manufacturer left is Technicolor's plants in Mexico and Huntsville, Alabama).

If Universal is actually doing the actual manufacturing orders themselves, then most likely it will be reauthored into single-sided discs (possibly more than 4 discs).

On the other hand if Vivendi is doing the actual manufacturing orders with Universal only handling distribution, then all bets are off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks