What's new

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I took a chance and purchased it. only to discover they are still flippers. Alas, and forsooth.

Are they DVD10 type flippers, or DVD14/DVD18 type flippers?

DVD10 flippers aren't as bad as DVD14/DVD18 flippers, but still very annoying.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between flippers, but I didn't keep the set anyway. Once I saw they were double-sided I ditched them, since I already had a set that I knew worked fine. A flipper in the hand is worth two in the bush, or something like that.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Just noticed there's listings for upcoming complete series sets for Mary Tyler Moore and Reba on B&N and the canada amazon, with October 2, 2018 release dates.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reba-Complete-Value-Christopher-Rich/dp/B07GJ4FSB6/
https://www.amazon.ca/Mary-Tyler-Moore-Show-Complete/dp/B07GJ35FH1/

On the canada amazon listings, they assert that the MTM set will have 23 discs and the Reba set will have 18 discs.

If the 23-discs count of the MTM complete series set is reliable, this would imply the season 2 discs are single sided where the lone flipper disc's sides are split into two discs. IIRC for the original MTM season sets releases:

season 1 = 4 discs
season 2 = 3 discs (where the third disc is a double-side flipper)
season 3 = 3 discs
season 4 = 3 discs
season 5 = 3 discs
season 6 = 3 discs
season 7 = 3 discs
total = 21 single-sided discs + 1 double-sided flipper disc

The 18-discs count of the Reba complete series set is somewhat harder to decipher. IIRC the original Reba season sets were all done as double-sided flipper discs, where the original flipper disc counts were:

season 1 = 3 flippers (dvd10)
season 2 = 3 flippers (dvd10)
season 3 = 3 flippers (dvd10)
season 4 = 3 flippers (dvd10)
season 5 = 2 flippers (dvd14)
season 6 = 1 flipper (dvd14)

One way for this Reba complete series 18-discs count to make sense, would be if the DVD14 flipper discs of seasons 5 and 6 were all split apart into single-sided discs.

From what I remember of the old dvd10 flipper discs of Reba seasons 1 to 4, there was enough content on each dvd10 flipper disc which could in principle fit onto a single-sided dvd9 disc. Though this is assuming Fox has any intentions of reauthoring the season 1 to 4 sets into single-side discs, which is currently unknown.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hope the Season 2 MTM info is correct. I never thought I'd see those reissued without the flipper!

I saw a copy of the MTM complete series set at a nearby wallyworld, where somebody already removed the plastic wrap for some reason.

So I took a small peek inside, and saw that disc 3 of season 2 was indeed single sided. (Disc 3 of the original season 2 set, was the lone double-sided flipper disc).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I saw a copy of the MTM complete series set at a nearby wallyworld, where somebody already removed the plastic wrap for some reason.

So I took a small peek inside, and saw that disc 3 of season 2 was indeed single sided. (Disc 3 of the original season 2 set, was the lone double-sided flipper disc).

That's great news! Thanks for confirming. Another flipper bites the dust!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That's great news! Thanks for confirming. Another flipper bites the dust!

This was only "disc 3" (ie. the former "disc3A") from season 2 of MTM, which I was able to observe. I was not able to directly observe "disc 4" (the former "disc3B") of season 2.

The spindles in the giant digipak case, each had two discs stacked on top of one another. If "disc 4" of season 2 was also present, then it would have been underneath the "disc 3". As far as I could see by a small peek, there appeared to be two discs thick on the spindle which had "disc 3" on top.

(I didn't want to take the discs out in the middle of the store).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I bought the MTM complete series set and can confirm that disc 3a/3b is now discs 3 and 4. The last 8 episodes of season 2 are on disc 3 and the bonus material is on disc 4.

That's right on the money with how I thought it would be! Thanks for the confirmation.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The 18-discs count of the Reba complete series set is somewhat harder to decipher.

One way for this Reba complete series 18-discs count to make sense, would be if the DVD14 flipper discs of seasons 5 and 6 were all split apart into single-sided discs.

From what I remember of the old dvd10 flipper discs of Reba seasons 1 to 4, there was enough content on each dvd10 flipper disc which could in principle fit onto a single-sided dvd9 disc. Though this is assuming Fox has any intentions of reauthoring the season 1 to 4 sets into single-side discs, which is currently unknown.

I saw a Reba complete series set today.

On the back cover, it is explicitly written:

seasons 1-4: double-sided discs

seasons 5-6: single-sided discs

This would definitely be consistent with an 18 discs count.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I saw a Reba complete series set today.

seasons 5-6: single-sided discs

To be more specific, season 5 originally had two dvd14 flippers and season 6 had one dvd14 flipper. If one replicated all the flipper sides of these three dvd14 flippers into single-sided discs, one would get six single-sided discs,

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I noticed recently that Universal is also using the giant digipak 24-disc cases for some complete series sets, such as:

- the original Magnum PI
- Columbo
- Psych

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
- the original Magnum PI

Have discovered just earlier what the new version of the Magnum all-in-one from Universal looks like inside; it is packaged practically the same as my copy of CBS' all-in-one of The Streets of San Francisco (and while Streets used one case like that for a five-season series, Magnum is like that in both of its cases, apparently).

Here's the Amazon entry for the same (proof is in customer images):
https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-P-I-C...CBD7AAX7P8G&psc=1&refRID=7A5EAZ8A1CBD7AAX7P8G

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Have discovered just earlier what the new version of the Magnum all-in-one from Universal looks like inside; it is packaged practically the same as my copy of CBS' all-in-one of The Streets of San Francisco (and while Streets used one case like that for a five-season series, Magnum is like that in both of its cases, apparently).

Probably also done for the upcoming The A-Team complete series set being released on February 5, 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks