What's new

LEAVE IT TO BEAVER: The Complete Series (Coming November 14th from Universal) (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Surprised no one is talking about this new announcement. Couldn't find any post about it either. The cover art was revealed at an exclusive site but I couldn't find a clear large photo to post here.

I'm happy to see this coming but also wondering about the quality. If anyone recalls, the initial first 2 seasons from Universal were quite grainy. When Shout released the complete series on dvd, the same first 2 season masters were used with the heavy grain. However, the rest of the seasons looked magnificent. So I'm just wondering how these will show up on the bluray set.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Im trying to decide whether to get this for that very reason. I might wait to see what others say about it

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Robert! I guess it's too early for the coverart on amazon. It looks nice though from the little glimpse I got. Actually much better than the cover art used for the Shout box. Shows a family photo of the cast. :)
The Amazon link isn't active yet, but I expect that to change in the near future.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'll eventually get this if there's even a small improvement in quality. The Shout sets were really good, so it will take some doing to move me over. But it could happen.

Gary "will probably wait not only for reviews, but for the invariable price drop down the road for an upgrade - but great news nonetheless" O.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll eventually get this if there's even a small improvement in quality. The Shout sets were really good, so it will take some doing to move me over. But it could happen.

Gary "will probably wait not only for reviews, but for the invariable price drop down the road for an upgrade - but great news nonetheless" O.
I don't know if anything in your wheelhouse has been released on MOD in this fashion so far, but price drops definitely are not guaranteed with the stuff the companies release in this way.

There are definitely good deals to be found, especially if you catch the right site with the right price and coupon, but the MOD stuff usually doesn't go down over time the way widely released stuff does.

So just keep that in mind.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Typically, don't they just port-over already available masters? Not sure how Universal has handled these bluray series sets in terms of masters. The only one I bought was The Andy Griffith Show which appeared to be the same masters. There were edits in the initial dvd releases that remained in the bluray sets. So I'm guessing the masters will be the same which is what troubles me about the first 2 seasons. I was always hoping this release would happen so the overly grainy picture could be corrected.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Typically, don't they just port-over already available masters? Not sure how Universal has handled these bluray series sets in terms of masters. The only one I bought was The Andy Griffith Show which appeared to be the same masters. There were edits in the initial dvd releases that remained in the bluray sets. So I'm guessing the masters will be the same which is what troubles me about the first 2 seasons. I was always hoping this release would happen so the overly grainy picture could be corrected.
About which masters were used, it depends on when they last transferred the film elements into HD masters. We know through the CBS syndication bible that CBS/Paramount did their HD transfers prior to the DVD releases. Therefore, it made sense for them to use the same masters. However, with Universal it isn't common knowledge whether they even had HD masters prior to the Shout! DVD release. The Shout! release could have been based on existing SD masters. So, we will have to wait and see. As to the grainy picture in the earlier seasons, that could be more of an issue with how the grain presents itself at the lower SD resolution. HD should be better able to resolve the grain based at the higher resolution.

Interestingly, the differences between seasons 1 and 2 and the later seasons may be directly related to their HD mastering. Possibly, seasons 1 and 2 came from down-converted HD masters, while the later seasons came from older SD tape masters. Maybe, Universal started down the road of early HD mastering then pulled back and decided to license to Shout! As the years went on, they went back and finished the HD transfers and now have the full series available in HD. Just a guess on my part.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
About which masters were used, it depends on when they last transferred the film elements into HD masters. We know through the CBS syndication bible that CBS/Paramount did their HD transfers prior to the DVD releases. Therefore, it made sense for them to use the same masters. However, with Universal it isn't common knowledge whether they even had HD masters prior to the Shout! DVD release. The Shout! release could have been based on existing SD masters. So, we will have to wait and see. As to the grainy picture in the earlier seasons, that could be more of an issue with how the grain presents itself at the lower SD resolution. HD should be better able to resolve the grain based at the higher resolution.

Interestingly, the differences between seasons 1 and 2 and the later seasons may be directly related to their HD mastering. Possibly, seasons 1 and 2 came from down-converted HD masters, while the later seasons came from older SD tape masters. Maybe, Universal started down the road of early HD mastering then pulled back and decided to license to Shout! As the years went on, they went back and finished the HD transfers and now have the full series available in HD. Just a guess on my part.
I hope that is true and we get new HD masters. That would be a huge upgrade!

Here is a very bad resolution of the cover art for all interested...
LITB.png

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It was my understanding the show was transferred to HD after the vault fire, so I'm going to guess that these are the same masters as those provided to Shout Factory.

It will be interesting to see if the misplaced teaser issue is present here.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
It was my understanding the show was transferred to HD after the vault fire, so I'm going to guess that these are the same masters as those provided to Shout Factory.

It will be interesting to see if the misplaced teaser issue is present here.
Yes, that too! I forgot about that. I would be absolutely thrilled if all issues were corrected. This is one of my very favorite shows.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I don't know if anything in your wheelhouse has been released on MOD in this fashion so far, but price drops definitely are not guaranteed with the stuff the companies release in this way.

There are definitely good deals to be found, especially if you catch the right site with the right price and coupon, but the MOD stuff usually doesn't go down over time the way widely released stuff does.

So just keep that in mind.
Guess I didn’t read the fine print. This is going to be a MOD Blu-ray release?

Gary “if that’s the case, I certainly agree with you that prices won’t drop like they do with pressed discs” O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks