What's new

International Why Are Some Recently Released To Blu-ray U.S. Based TV Series Titles Now Available Only On DVD Via Canadian Vendors? (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Lately, I've noticing U.S. based TV series that have been released on Blu-ray, BUT are available via Canadian vendors ONLY on DVD!

I first noticed this disturbing trend when looking for Christmas wish ideas last November and December. The series in question at that time was HOGAN'S HEROES, the complete series of which was reissued on Blu-ray last year. Yet, to this day, Canadian vendors ONLY have the DVD version (I literally just checked Amazon.ca and wowhd for the umpteenth time!) available!

One that really has me upset is the recent release of the Season 2 set of THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW by ClassicFlix. While wowhd's Canadian platform DID have this set available on Blu-ray as a pre-order, ONLY the DVD version has been available since February (Before and after release screenshots are posted at the bottom!)! Contacting them by phone this morning only confirmed my worst fear that they do not have this title on Blu-ray, nor do they know if they ever will! This AFTER they DID have it! Now, instead of being able to have my son buy this set for me as an under $50 (Canadian, including free shipping!) birthday present next month, I'm now faced with having to make the hard decision of whether to link him to the next lowest price eBay Canada listing (of approx C $47.37 + approx C $22.55 shipping!), or simply settle for something else. The latter option kind of sucks, as I have the gorgeous looking (Thanks Bob Furmanek and the 3D Archive Team!) Season 1 set on Blu-ray (Thus, I refuse to settle for the available DVD option for Season 2!!), and was really looking forward to completing this and retiring the COMPLETE A&C SHOW DVD set with the telecine transfers!

Does anyone here have any idea why this is happening, now? Is U.S. based Blu-ray disc replication so backed up that Canadian vendors are now being denied the Blu-ray option for certain titles currently being released on Blu-ray? I'm just looking for answers and trying to make sense of what's going on, and what sort of expectations should Canadians have moving forward in regards to general non-premium priced Blu-ray availability! If so, we'll be having to make more tougher choices moving forward!

CHEERS! :)

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 10-28-40 The Abbott And Costello Show Season 2 on WOW HD.png

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 21-29-32 The Abbott And Costello Show Season 2 3 Pack on WOW HD.png

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It does seem odd, though the blu-ray is kind of hard to find in the US, too. I think only Amazon US shows it as available and that's likely because it's sold by ClassicFlix and shipped via Amazon.

Most places show it as out of stock/backorder.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It does seem odd, though the blu-ray is kind of hard to find in the US, too. I think only Amazon US shows it as available and that's likely because it's sold by ClassicFlix and shipped via Amazon.

Most places show it as out of stock/backorder.
Well, that's still one better than us, at least. Sounds like a Blu-ray disc replicator issue.

P.S. I just checked the wowhd site, and the only actual difference is the currency exchange!

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Well, that's still one better than us, at least. Sounds like a Blu-ray disc replicator issue.

P.S. I just checked the wowhd site, and the only actual difference is the currency exchange!
Bay Street Video has Hogan and A&C for sale on blu-ray.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Bay Street Video has Hogan and A&C for sale on blu-ray.
Thanks Nick, but how do I get pricing? This is all I was able to get by searching their homepage:
Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 19-16-32 Bay Street Video - Search By Title - Toronto's Largest DVD C...png

Kind regards.

Tony

P.S. I just called Bay Street Video and their price for the A&C SHOW Season 2 Blu-ray set is $64 + $5 shipping and tax, whereas I can get it through eBay.ca for just under $70, including shipping and tax. I’ll definitely keep Bay Street in mind if the eBay option falls through (And maybe for Hogan's Heroes on Blu-ray, later on!), though. Thanks for the kind tip! :)

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have run into this with "Fear The Walking Dead". It actually worked out to cost almost the same to order the Blu ray from .com as it did to pay the exorbident price for the DVD on .ca, even with exchange and postage. I was amazed at how quickly it arrived from the US as well.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Another challenge being a Canadian trying to
buy American goods lol. I resorted to setting up an American forwarding address to pick up USA-only products and have used it for Blu-rays as well.

When I travel to the USA, I will also look into finding shops that sell these exclusive Blu-rays. (Amoeba Records in LA was an afternoon well spent!)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Before Covid we always maintained a PO Box in Buffalo NY and had a US/Amazon account. Even with high exchange, US discs often were less expensive. Also, some TV sets on DVD only in Canada were available in the US on Blu ray.
Recently we purchased the last season of Fear The walking dead, only on DVD here, from A.com In Blue Ray. The cost was about the same as the DVD only, and arrived really quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks