What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal Studios & Warner Brothers Reissued DVD Sets (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I picked up the new 5 disc re-release of season one of Baa Baa Blacksheep at Walmart...with Shout's season two, I now have it complete...only my second purchase at Walmart in the last year...I picked up the 5 disc re-release of Kolchak there last fall too...looking forward to buying the complete Night Gallery next...I wish that Universal or some licensee would get around to releasing a new to DVD show too...Darren McGavin's private eye show The Outsider (1968-69) would make me very happy...

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
None of the Walmart's in my area have a well stocked DVD section. I never seem to see the titles many members here mention picking up there, such as the exclusive Paramount sets. I can have them shipped to the store, but why bother when I have Amazon Prime.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
None of the Walmart's in my area have a well stocked DVD section. I never seem to see the titles many members here mention picking up there, such as the exclusive Paramount sets.

I saw quite a few of them before at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville (MacGyver, Andy Griffith, Perry Mason-- all in the partial releases though), but all I see now is the Mason 1-3, and no others.

Ron_B

Grip
Has anyone bought the reissue of McCloud Season One? Curious if it's just the awful syndicated movie versions of the episodes again or the as-aired original versions. I'm sure it's the probably the former but anything is possible.

Thanks.
Ron

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Has anyone bought the reissue of McCloud Season One? Curious if it's just the awful syndicated movie versions of the episodes again or the as-aired original versions. I'm sure it's the probably the former but anything is possible.

Thanks.
Ron

I purchased it, and the pilot episode was a blast to watch. Sadly, the remainder are those three "movies". I couldn't even bring myself to try watching one of them. I'm just gonna hope they re-issue season 2 on single-sided discs and I'll pick up there.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Dukes of Hazzard seasons 2, 3, and 6 being re-released on November 14, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard-Complete-Second-Season/dp/B07537Z89S
https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard-Complete-Third-Season/dp/B07538X7W9
https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard-Complete-Sixth-Season/dp/B07538D4Z5

The amazon listings ^ assert the discs counts are 4-discs per season set.

The question is whether they will be single-sided discs with six episodes crammed per disc. (The original double-sided flipper versions had three episodes per flipper side, with a total of six episodes per flipper disc).

Several months ago, the Wonder Woman seasons 2 and 3 sets were re-released as four-disc sets. One "verified purchaser" on amazon asserted that these re-released WW four-disc season sets were indeed single-sided discs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RYAP8L950NLVN/

If Warner is doing the same style of single-sided disc reauthoring, then I wouldn't be surprised if these Dukes of Hazzard seasons 2, 3, and 6 re-released sets are reauthored in the same manner as Wonder Woman. (ie. Six episodes per single-sided disc).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(To come to think of it).

If Warner re-releases the entire original Dallas as single-sided discs, then I wouldn't be surprised at all if they end up reauthoring every season into six episodes per single-sided disc for seasons 1 to 8, and eight episodes per single-sided disc for season 9.

(No idea what they would do for seasons 10 to 13, since they already have five episodes per flipper disc side with a total of ten episodes per flipper disc).

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Got the Mill Creek Quantum Leap all-in-one DVD today at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville, and just wanted to say that the Universal logos of the time are retained as they were originally on NBC from 1989-93: the 1975-91 logo on the first three seasons' worth (early '89 to 1991), and the 1991 logo on the last two (1991-93). The Belisarius logo is there as well.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Got the Mill Creek Quantum Leap all-in-one DVD today at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville, and just wanted to say that the Universal logos of the time are retained as they were originally on NBC from 1989-93: the 1975-91 logo on the first three seasons' worth (early '89 to 1991), and the 1991 logo on the last two (1991-93). The Belisarius logo is there as well.

Any music replacement issues?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Any music replacement issues?

Haven't truly gotten in, so, unsure on that. I think I read somewhere, however, that most of the music is retained on this Mill Creek all-in-one.

Also, I didn't see this when it was originally on NBC from 1989-93, so I'm not familiar with the music as it was.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hmmm ......

Also on November 14, 2017, season 1 of Dukes of Hazzard being re-released as a three-disc set.

https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard-Complete-First-Season/dp/B07537JZNZ/

Another complete series set version is also being released on November 14, 2017 as a 40-disc set.

https://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Hazzard-Complete-Various/dp/B0752Y195X/

If this newer complete series set includes this 3-disc reauthored season 1 set, then I'm guessing this particular newer complete series set might have the 2-disc reunion movies set.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
None that I know of on the BD release. I'd expect the same for the DVD. As far as I can tell everything is intact with all the music sounding like it should.

The general consensus for the Blus is no music replacements at all, the only screw ups are Lee Harvey Oswald split into two syndicated episodes (and the only missing footage is a chunk at the end of episode 1 that you really won't miss), and the S2 episode A Portrait For Troian's final 8 minutes are zoomed, cropped on the top and bottom, and cropped again to make it 1.33:1.

Other than that, the set is perfect.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The "How I Met Your Mother" complete series set is being re-released in two weeks on September 19, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Met-Your-Mother-Cc/dp/B0747GRCDR/

If the mock-up image on amazon is reliable, then it appears this new re-release might be all the previous season sets put into a giant box.

IIRC, the previous version of the "How I Met Your Mother" complete series set (from 2014) had really atrocious packaging with cardboard pockets which caused disc scratching and glue damage.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Here's something which showed up on the canada amazon).

On October 10, 2017, Futurama and Remington Steele complete series sets are being (re)released. (Also a Boston Legal complete series set with the same release date).

https://www.amazon.ca/Futurama-Complete-Collection-Season-Billy/dp/B0753824B8/

https://www.amazon.ca/Remington-Steele-Complete-Collection-Season/dp/B07539LZ68/

Unfortunately there are no mock-up images, nor much information about these particular releases other than Remington Steele being a 17-disc set and Futurama being a 27-disc set. These disc counts would be consistent with the respective original season/volume sets.

One option is Fox just releasing these sets as the original dvds sets shrinkwrapped together with masking tape in a half-assed manner.

On the other hand if these two complete series sets are newly manufactured sets, then there is a possibility of the Futurama volume sets being redone with generic viva multidisc dvd cases. (The original Futurama volume sets and the 2013 complete series dvd set, all had annoying cardboard pockets packaging which might warp the discs slightly).

In the case of a Remington Steele complete series consisting of newly manufactured dvd sets, there is the question of whether they are possibly reauthored single-sided discs. (All the original Remington Steele season sets released in america, consisted of double-sided DVD14/DVD10 type flipper discs with respectively six/four episodes per flipper disc).

The 17-disc count figure (assuming it is semi-reliable), might suggest all the Remington Steele season sets being reauthored into six-episodes per single-sided disc. (Perhaps they see what Mill Creek and Warner are doing, and following in their footsteps). Each of the original double-sided DVD14 flipper discs had six-episodes per flipper (except for the respective fourth discs of each season set, which were DVD10 type flippers).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks